Post-Noteworthy

 

Even before I actually meet Daria Morgandorffer I start thinking about all the questions I cannot ask her.  This is my first major interview and I fear how I will stumble and die around a pro like her.  I know I should not ask about her late husband or other aspects of her personal life.  Considering how much they have been mentioned recently in the news I feel close to them, though I have never met them.  That happens whenever there is this much publicity surrounding a tragic event, even if it has been eight months ago.  I hesitate on what she thinks of the demise of Quite Noteworthy, the three hour long daily cable/web news program she was executive producer of until the end of 2030.  When she shows up that ends up being the first question out of my mouth.  Actually I asked if she has scene QN recently.  Ms. Morgandorffer smiled like the Mona Lisa at this.  She replied “Miss me?  I know my replacement is shooting himself in the foot.  From what I have scene I want to scream and curse, but I usually just turn off the monitor.”

Do you regret leaving QN?

Absolutely not!  Why would I do that?  I always fought with the network.  We would compromise often but many of my ideas got undeservedly trashed and despite all the changes I brought to the series that really formed what it was they never seemed to think I could be right about anything.

Were you always right?

As close to “always” as humanly possible.

Considering that during your eighteen years at QN your were able to publish nine volumes it does not seem like you needed the extra time.

What is this, an inquisition?  Check your facts only seven were actually written during that period.  I also always felt pressed for time in the worst ways.  I had enough money not to need to deal with that, so I don’t.

By now I am feeling just awful.  I offended a widow and a pillar of modern journalism, biography.  A heavy influence on politics and I wonder how to make it all better.  Some how she knows all this.

I have not done any interviews in a while.  This is not the side I am used to being on anyway.  But remember I am the boss.

She smiles. Some tensions are released and I continue.

Do you mind if I ask more about QN?

Is that all you are going to ask about?

Probably not.

It is a safe topic.  I understand.

When you were given the job as producer did you ever think that you would have to be the co-host too?

No.  Interesting story about how I became fill in co-host the first time.  I was first a segment producer.  I was supposed to bring in stories about artists and creative personas.  This was after the publication of The Official Biography of __ and they knew I was friends with Trent Lane so I was qualified.  Also [my daughter] Sherilyn was four and Paul [Garibaldi, (her father)] and I had just broken up so we were always busy trying to decide where who she was going to be taken care of.  To add to this we were all new in D.C.  Obviously the flexible hours were attractive to me.  So I had done a story on the Embarked ZAP-ducks.  It was big news and very controversial.  I had even gotten an interview with one of the key players, Blake Yoba.  George Drew, the co-host who was supposed to do the interview claimed to be made physically ill by the presence of Blake, so I had to do the interview live.  Sherilyn was in the studio with me that day so if you look at the tapes of it Blake and I keep on making funny happy faces because we were trying to make her happy.  People liked that so it became a given that if no one else would do the interview I would.

How did you become executive producer?

Well, we were an increasingly interactive show.  The live web commentary thing was new and after some disasters the network realized it would have to be edited heavily and I was good at that.  Eventually I began shouldering more of the responsibilities of the series responsibilities, so they promoted me.

They edit the web comments?

If they did not you would not be able to read any and many would be inappropriate to air.

But it’s cable.

And we would lose some of the regular guests if they knew some of the nasty comments said about them.

Were there a lot of nasty comments?

They are public figures and everyone has an opinion.  I think I know what your next question is.

Really?  What do you think it is?

Why did I go to the Atomm trials in Geneva.

For those of you who do not know, that is where she and her husband met, and according to some reports, got married.  It was not my next question, but I would have loved to ask it.

I won’t answer it.

Will you discuss anything about your husband?

Our sons, Jacques and Sabastian, found some 1960’s rock albums translated into German that he owned and we have been having fun listening to them.

Any Beatles?

Yes.  Are you asking because of how I have been loosely compared to Yoko Ono?

Yes, and how do you feel about it?

It is great, only I am not a conceptual artist and I never did anything like break up the Beatles…  We did get some comparisons before he died as he was more of the stay at home parent.  As far as famed widows to be compared to she is not bad.

Why are you giving this interview?

It is the fifteen-year anniversary of Official Biography and I really hate the way I keep hearing about how withdrawn I have been.  Sure I don’t work and QN any more but I have been writing a lot and I have scene my close friends and family daily.  Besides, I am not one for writing my own personal announcements.

What about meeting new people?

Hey, I’m here with you.

So what is your new work about?

There is a biography of Gertrude Stein in the works.  It is a conceptual follow up to the Jean Rhys biography.  I am also trying to do a semi-fictionalized retelling of the work of Watson and Crick.  There is some more, but that I would rather not go into.

You are the boss?

Just remember that.

Days after completing the interview I am busy editing it.  It is hard to believe how long it took get any of it.  I try to make it seem like I had more control over the situation than I did.  I fear that it sounds like we were already close friends who knew each others thoughts.  During the interview she could tell how new I am at my job, and I did not want to sound that bad in the actual article.  I called her and told her this.  “You are definitely becoming a professional.  Just keep things in context and I won’t mind.”  Some how this did ease my fears.  What she said about being the boss of the interview is still true. No one can control it like she.