Size does matter

by BlackHole

Story ©2008 by BlackHole
Daria and associated characters are ©2008 MTV Networks
(who still deprive the Daria community of a decent DVD box set containing all Daria episodes
— preferably in uncut condition with the original soundtrack)
Used without explicit permission and with explicit appreciation
Thanks for beta-reading etc. to:
JPAGC, RLobinske, Kristen Bealer, and vladimir1

Part 4

Thursday was a drag. Getting up and ready including a breakfast was a quick affair, Daria’s and Quinn’s mother had already left for work. Daria was starting to share her father’s uneasy feelings concerning Helen’s workload. Quinn was rather busy catching up with school work and hence a little morose.

Both girls used the shortcut through the park to school, and given the cold temperatures around that time of the year in Lawndale, Daria was rather motivated to get back indoors ASAP. That instantly reminded her that - as much as she hated to do it - she’d have to do some clothes shopping before autumn turned into winter, and scheduled that some time next week.

Home room was boring, and the announcements held nothing of Daria’s interests. Her classmates did her a major favor and just left her alone. History was fun in its own way. Besides being among Daria’s favourite subjects, the teacher was motivated and did not put up with any crap the students gave him. Class participation was marginal, and Daria was starting to gather a major difference between HHS and LHS. In HHS most students were bad because they didn’t know better. In LHS most students were bad because they didn’t care. Daria wasn’t sure what was worse, but knew that Quinn would fit in perfectly with the latter group.

The black girl, Jodie was her name, talked again to — or rather at — Daria about her work in the student council. She did not ask her to participate, but her move to arouse Daria’s interest or curiosity was too plain to be effective. Daria nodded and ‘hmm’d where appropriate, but did not really listen. Jodie’s boyfriend, Mack, tried to get some attention from her, but was cut short when that stupid jock, Kevin, Daria reminded herself, asked about something concerning the football team. Seeing Mack go off after being called ‘Mack Daddy’ was one of the highlights.

Math was boring as ever. Daria was looking forward to joining the AP class next year. She never understood how people could have problems with memorizing a few theorems and rules and applying them. The left and the right side of the ‘=’ were the same just written differently. If one looks at it in a certain way, math never produced anything new.

PE turned out to be OK. At least there was no commotion in the locker room and none of the girls acted hostile. There wasn’t a DMZ around her as if she was a leper, either, a fact that really pleased Daria. There was no overt ogling either, so the news of yesterday’s lunch likely had spread. The coach made sure that everyone was working, and it was interesting to see how fast the Lane girl was sent off running laps again. Daria would have made a bet she and the coach had an agreement of some sort. Maybe she could arrange something for herself to get out of the cheerleader practice a.k.a. gymnastics. Kama sutra and Tantra training should be done in private and would be much more entertaining with an appropriate training partner.

*****

Before hitting the shower after PE Daria approached Ms. Morris again.

“Ms. Morris, my sister and I will be at the girls’ gym in the afternoon today.”

“I’m looking forward to see you girls. The girls’ gym doesn’t draw a crowd, seeing some new faces is going to be nice.”

“Hmm, I wanted to ask you about the daily open gym. You said it’s an hour before school?”

“The gym opens at 7 and at 8 everybody has to hit the showers. This gives you 15 minutes until home room starts. Tight schedule, but manageable.”

“Unless you need 40 minutes to plaster some gunk on your face. OK, so no problem for me.”

“Aeh, Daria, why are you asking about the open gym if there’s girls’ gym twice a week?”

“I think the daily slot fits my day better. And an hour of gym is sufficient. If you’re not done for after an hour of gym, you’re either Hercules or picking your nose.”

Ms. Morris chuckled.
“Well, yes, the girls can lose their focus a little. But that is not ... well ... it’s just that the daily slot is only used by guys.”

“This is not a designated boys’ only slot, is it?”

“No, it’s open for everybody, but, I mean, being the only girl, wouldn’t you be uncomfortable?”

“I think not, but I’ll just try and see.”

«You do not get what I mean.»
“Well, that’s for sure. But be prepared to be surrounded by football players.”

Daria shrugged.
“If I went to a public gym I’d be surrounded by all kinds of strange guys.”

“OK, go and try.”

“Thanks, bye.”

“Bye.”

Ms. Manson watched Daria vanish into the locker room. She was not sure if a girl training with the football team was such a bright idea. Even if it took you a second glance, Daria still was a girl. It was doubtful that the team would welcome an alien to their ‘team time’, even if the gym was gernerally open to the public. Ms. Morris would give Coach Gibson some advance warning so he would be prepared for a girl intruding. Well, seeing Daria train in the afternoon would help with the evaluation of the situation.

«A girl training in a gym with a gaggle of horny teenage boys. She’s either crazy or has more cojones than her natural design provides.»

*****

“Fellow Fashion Club members, I’d like to commemorate the excursion to Cashman’s today after school. The new line of angora turtleneck sweaters is coming in today and we have to prepare for the end of winter. We’ll meet at my car after school.”

“Yeaaah, Sandi.”

Stacy looked into her omnipresent notebook tp confirm the details of the expedition.
“Yes, we need to be the first to scan the new collection so we do not fall behind the current fashion as it happened to me when I was, omygod, I’m wearing the shirt right now, omygod, I’m so...”
Stacy started to hyperventilate as the guilt and embarrassment came back.

“STACY! Slow! Breathe! The shirt is fine with thepair of pants you are wearing now!”

Quinn approached the group after she had changed her books at her locker. Those girls were not her first choice, but she needed to start somewhere to make some friends.
“Hi. Ready for music, Tiffany?”

“Yeaaah.”

Delighted to see the new girl, Stacy welcomed her as well.
“Hey Quinn, we’re going to Cashman’s after school today to screen the new sweaters arriving this morning, would you like to join us?”

Sandi shot her secretary a disapproving glare; how could she take the initiative and invite that skank that was likely going to be a serious problem for the Fashion Club without consulting the president first? Stacy immediately went wide eyed as she realized what she had done. This was a serious violation of the hierarchy. She was in trouble.

“Yes Quinn, I was about to extend that invitation to you.” Sandi took control again.

“Ah, thanks, but I won’t be able to make it today.”

Sandi was relieved. Maybe she could spin the situation to her advantage.

“Gee, Quinn, that is so sad. Is your model job-thingy taking up so much of your time that you won’t be able to stay fashionable?”

“No, it’s not my job. I’ve training today.”

“Like, physical training? That get’s you all sweaty? Quinn, I’m sorry to inform you that this is not an activity that is suitable for a member of the Fashion Club. And just think how those jock chicks look like with muscles everywhere.”
«Like those incredible...stop it, Griffin.»

“It’s not that I want to, Sandi. Mom’s forcing me.”

“So, you let your mother dictate your schedule?”

“It’s more the doctor. ‘You need to exercise your muscles to keep up with your skeleton’. Mom just turned ‘need’ to ‘must’.”

“What kind of training do you do?” asked Stacy.

“Gym; boring muscle training.”

“There’s some ‘girls only’ time at the school gym, today right after school. You attend that?”

“Stacy, how come you know about the extracurricular sport activities at LHS?” Sandi interjected.

“I need to. The gossip must be processed according to groups spreading it and its possible origin, and as the jocks are an important source ...”

“It’s ok, Stacy.” Sandi stalled the girl with the pigtails.
“So Quinn, maybe you can join us later. If you can get a ride to the mall.”

«Let them not find out that mom’s having Daria monitor me...»
“I doubt I’ll be able to much more than head home after training. That is really tiring.”

“Quinn, for someone not willing to exercise you put in an awful lot of effort if you’ll too tired to go to the mall afterwards.”

“I don’t like the exercise and I would never do it on my own. You get sweaty and icky and wear uncute clothes, because cute clothes would be ruined immediately. I complained, but mom’s making me go anyway.”

“So you’re not smart enough to simply skip out of the training and lie to your mom? Oh, Quinn, you still have so much to learn.” mocked Sandi.

“I skipped training exactly once - and I am smart enough not to do that ever again. Mom will somehow find out. This would get me grounded until I’m, like, thirty.”
«And my coach happens to live just one door down the hallway...»

“Thaaaat’s soooo mean of yooooour mom.” Tiffany stated her sympathy.

“Your mom is keeping you under surveillance. Gee, Quinn, I would be so pissed if my mother would even suggest such a thing.”

«I bet she better did. 24/7.»
“Sandi, my mom can be very creative if she seriously wants something happen. Like me doingmy exercises.”

“Well, if you say so, Quinn. But be careful not to exercise too much. We don’t want you to grow muscles all over like those jock chicks.”

A collective ‘EWWWW’ was the answer and the girls split up to their respective classes.

«But the right amount of muscles can really enhance your figure; nice legs, arms, a flat and well defined tummy. And exercise burns fat. Hmm, pizza with the works instead of the cheeseless cardbord stuff. Yummy. Maybe ...»

*****

The students arranged themselves caste-wise at the lunch room’s tables. The difference between HHS and LHS was that the tables did not have strictly fixed assignments, but were dynamically occupied. Some tables were left for the untouchables, outsiders like Daria herself. She was halfway through her meal without any interruption or interaction when she noticed Scarlett approaching her after returning her tray. Daria looked up as she stood across from her, slightly nervous.

«No stupid stuff. No TV-grade drama. PLEASE.»
Daria was unsure what was going to happen, so she waited for her to make the first move.

“Uhm, sorry?” Scarlett finally started with a slight blush.

“Aeh, It’s OK. But ... what for?”

“I mistook you, and I really...” Scarlett looked embarrassedly away.

“You aren’t the first and you won’t be the last. I have to accept that.”

“But...”

Daria resumed eating as the conversation was stalled.

“But..?” Daria tried to coax her a little, and noted on the side that they were not drawing to much attention. She continued her meal.

“But...”

Daria looked up again, but as no more words were spoken she focussed her attention back on her meal. Lunch time was limited.

“But...”

«Time for some comic relief.»
“And I thought a butt-fetish could be found only among guys.”

“Hu? What?” Scarlett was in no condition to follow that mental leap.

“You were saying...?”

“I ran out on you like you were the Dark One himself.” Scarlett blurted her problem out, still confused by Daria’s previous comment. The then ensuing blush indicated that she finally not only understood, but took that a little personally.

“And likely barfed like I smelled like his feet, too. Sounds like I got the better deal out of it.”

“But...”

“Look: You apologised, I accepted, and now we continue our lives.”

Daria sorted her tray and prepared to get up.

“Could we be friends?”

Daria looked up and stared at the other girl, making her squirm. She was surprised by the use of the f-word. That had not happened often to her and she could really use a friend. But this would not be right. She might become happy, but Scarlett surely would be hurt in the long run. Better a miserable ending than misery without end.

“No. At least not now.”

Daria got up.

“But...”

“No. You need to move on and me being around would hold you back. Later.”

That said, Daria picked up her tray, returned it and left the lunch room completely aware that she had just ripped someone’s heart out on purpose.
«Crap. Why me?»

*****

Science class was generally boring. Barch’s patient explanations to the girls that did not understand the material were laudable, but made class progress like a slug on barbiturate. Her rants on everything equipped with XY chromosomes did not add to the class’s interest. Daria did not dare to pull out a book and start reading, but practicing rhymes for poems could be camouflaged as taking notes.

Following the class to the extent that she was able to answer all questions was easy. The girl beside her shyed a little away from her at one time. She had likely misunderstood the poem she was working on. Given, it was rather graphic, but ‘ripping out her heart’ was meant metaphorically. Really.

«But hurts almost the same.»

Daria wondered what the rumor mill would make out of that.

*****

Daria was at her locker changing her books between classes as she overheard some guys talking among themselves while they slowly walked down the hallway.

“Incredible.”

“Yeah, I can’t believe she’s a chick. So massive...”

Daria closed her locker. She was nearly sure that she was the topic of the conversation. ‘Massive’ was ... ok. She had been called worse.

“You saw the other one?”

“Hell, yes. Legs, legs, legs, more legs ... and then this fabulous piece of ass. She’s nearly perfect.”

Daria did not like it when anyone referred to anybody else as an object. Especially not her sister, whom they were obviously talking about. She decided to listen in a little and matched her pace with the boys’. While Daria was no gossip, she liked to be well informed, even from unreliable sources. Every hint could give you give a serious advantage later on.

“Nearly? Man, you gotta lay off the drugs. Girls don’t get any hotter.”

“Dude, she’s hot as white glowing iron, but she’s too perfect. That kind of women is out of my league. And out of yours as well. No way any of us needs to even ask her out.”

“Hmm, you could be right. She’s kind of too much. She has for sure dates lined up all around the block.”

There it was again, Quinn’s blessing and bane. She was perfect enough to scare guys away. Well, at least this way the number of Quinn’s dates would only go up to ‘a gaggle’, and not to ‘a crowd’. Less humiliation for herself.

“For sure. And dating a taller girl is always a little awkward. A girl has to step on her toes to kiss you - not the other way round.”

“You’re right. Have you noticed she doesn’t even wear heels? If she did, even the basketball team would be on the short side.”

“She doesn’t? Damn, and even without her legs go on forever. And with heels...”

“Stop drooling, dude. Just imagine yourself dating that other chick, that should help. I can tell you who’d wear the pants among the two of you...”

“Brr, stop it, that’s ... that’s like me dating you. I’m not sure about you, but I like them female. You know, TnA and cuddly.”

The guys laughed at the teasing among themselves, not noticing the subject of their mockery being within hearing range.

“I bet she has more chest hair than you!”

Daria left her listening post by turning into the hallway that led to her next class while the joking boys went straight on. «Nope, I haven’t. I hope things stay at this level. That, I can bear.»

*****

English and self-esteem class were uneventful. However, two hours of Mr. O’Neill in a row was something that should be limited to Gitmo. Without the upcoming visit to the gym to look forward to, Daria would have to come up with some serious ideas how to prevent her brain from leaving her skull, but conceiving a low-key high-impact scheme to prepare Quinn for her massage was really enjoyable. Daria was coming up with numerous tiny things that could be adapted and combined depending on the situation. It was important to make sure that her actions would not backfire at her through their mother. But Daria would start off with the simplest plan: Assuming Quinn had skipped her training during the summer, which was very likely, sticking to her normal training plan would be a very suitable starting point for Quinn’s journey to misery.

*****

Ms. Morris watched the few regulars do their exercises in the gym. This made things easy, as they knew what to do and what not. She reviewed the funding reports for the current school year sitting on a bench, glancing every now and then around the gym, and did every twenty minutes a slow round through the room, speaking hushed words of encouragement and minor corrections to the girls. The room’s silence was only interrupted by weights’ ‘clink’ing and a little huffing and groaning once one of the girls pushed her limits.

The girls only gym was a good thing. The girls did not come here to be seen, but to train. This also meant that the less attractive girls did come in to train, which was good. Weights did not care how you look. They only cared how strong you were.

After the first hour approached its end, the gym emptied a little as most girls finished their training. The last hour would be even quieter than the first; maybe she could even close up a little earlier today.

She knew she had forgotten something when the Morgendorffer girls entered from the locker room. Quinn, the freshman, wore her LHS issued PE t-shirt and long trousers. Daria wore the uniform’s training shorts, but wore nothing more than a sturdy sports bra as a top. And looking at her build, Ms. Morris figured that this was not to troll for boys, but to make training bearable. Daria spotted her and simply nodded as she steered her sister over to the cardiac exercise machines to warm up.

Seeing that the few other girls left had stopped their training and gawked at the new arrivals.

“The two new giants! Giantesses.” one girl exclaimed hushed to the girl on the next machine.

“Damn. Look at them. The red head’s just tall, but the other...you’re sure that the bra isn’t just cross-dressing?” was the hushed answer, but in the silence of gym the words were audible everywhere.

The coach decided to gave them a hushed explanation before she got a replay of Tuesday’s episode in PE and headed over to the girls. She would give Daria and Quinn some leeway initially and just watch; she had the hunch that they knew their way around in a gym and would not need supervision, as the rest of the regulars.

*****

Warming up on the exercise bikes, the steppers and the rudder machine was a ritual for Daria and a task that Quinn was able to complete without her supervision.

Daria walked over to the barbells and loaded one lightly to do some leg training while Quinn wentto the sit-up-machine. Daria moved rapidly and concentrated through her sets. As she put the barbell back in place, she looked over at Quinn and did not like what she saw.

«I wasn’t sure whether I should give you a reason to need a massage. Now I am, Ms. Sloth.»

*****

Ms. Morris watched the new arrivals systematically warm up and then split up for different exercises. Quinn headed over likely to do some abs training. She fumbled a while to set up the machine. With her height, she had to make every adjustment possible to fit properly. She then started her sets, but was not really enthusiastic.

Daria went over to the free weights section and seriously loaded a barbell and started doing knee bends in quick succession. Afterwards she shifted to lifting for her shoulders. Then did some reverse biceps curls above head level. Given the quick succession of the sets, that was an impressive display of strength and endurance, well above the level of the other girls in the gym.

“Oh my... You’re seeing that? Look at all that iron!”

“All that iron? Look at all that muscles!”

“And you’re really sure it’s a girl?” a third girl asked in a hushed voice after she had walked over to Ms. Morris and the other girls.

“Yes, girl all over. My sister shares PE with her. Lots of girl.”

Daria could not help but overhear even the whispered conversation. Luckily, that were more or less the comments she was expecting.
«Damn. I hope there’s none of that rainbow society folks around.»

“I will not end like this if I keep my current training level, will I?” on girl asked.

Ms. Morris shook her head and could placate the girls that this was unlikely to happen unless they started train like mad.
“And girls, staring is rude. Get moving or get in the shower.”

«And you’d need to start popping some serious steroids. Just ask the vet of your choice.»
Daria was happy to see how considerate Ms. Morris was. She really hated to be in the spotlight all the time, and had hoped that the people in the gym would just ignore her.

Ms. Morris had to agree with the girls, Daria’s body was a piece of art - but it did not really fit a girl. She was not as excessively muscular as some female body builders, but definitely too muscular for a girl. She did not really fit in here, having to re-adjust every weight she put her hands on. She was far more focused than the other girls and trained different muscle groups.

“I bet the other has signed her name in blood to get that figure. She’s just ‘whoa’.”

“Those legs won’t end - and not an ounce of fat out of place.”

“They’re so alike and so different...”

Ms. Morris looked back at the girls and shot them a nasty glare.
“They’re sisters, Ladies. Get movin’!”

Her tone made it clear to them that they were about to cross a line. They picked their exercises up again and just shot some clandestine glances at the newcomers every now and then.

Ms. Morris noticed the by-the-book handling of the equipment that Daria had to avoid accidents and to train for maximum effect with the lowest risk of an injury. That girl knew her way around a gym. She saw a Daria glistening with sweat watch her sister a while and put down the barbell. In the silence of the gym she did not even have to eavesdrop to understand the following conversation.

*****

A profoundly sweaty Daria walked over to Quinn who took a drink from her bottle. Daria’s sports bra was soaked and showed more than Quinn deemed decent. Her muscles glistened with sweat, and despite her efforts to clean herself up on a towel, she was dripping on the floor.

“Quinn, you just completed the workout at the sit-up-machine?”

“Yes, 30 pounds, 15 repetitions, three sets.”

“Yes, of course. And because you are so well trained, you didn’t even sweat.”

“Sure I did! Look, I’m getting all icky!” Quinn said in disdain and rose her arms to show her armpits to her sister.

“Yeah, I can see you’re sweaty all over and gave everything you have.”
Daria pointed at the weights that were clearly set to 15 pounds.

“Oops, I didn’t notice.” Quinn said with her patented ‘innocent girl’ smile. That hadn’t worked on Daria for at least ten years.

“Of course not. And because you could not notice the difference between 15 and 30 pounds you surely need more training. Let me help you.”

Daria set the weights to 35 pounds. Quinn tried to get away, but Daria’s firm hand on her shoulder made it clear that she would not weasel out of it.
«I recall we have a score to settle, Ms. Sloth.»

*****

Ms. Morris could not help it, she had to smile. On the difference between the sisters when it came to things physical, and how Daria moved in on Quinn. It was nice to see that Quinn had a competent personal trainer that made sure that her weaker self would not prevail.

*****

“And now repeat the complete excercise. Properly. Up, hold, down. Let’s go.”

Quinn looked pleading into Daria’s eyes, and could immediately tell that any complaining would be futile. She knew that Helen had given Daria the authority to make sure Quinn did her exercises. Daria would not do a thing if she was to defy her. Beside telling their mother, and that was a really bad idea. Daria did not even move to continue her own exercises. She wouldn’t even be able to ‘miscount’ a little.

“Quinn, you are going to sweat today, no matter whether you like it or not. You need to and I will make you - if I have to. Get going, Quinn. Up. Hold. Down.”

Daria watched Quinn through her exercise. Her sister had such a perfect body that made her envious every time she was exposed to it. Daria had considered stopping her training once she became aware that getting muscular all over was not necessarily advantageous for a girl. The doctors told her that her bones had already grown to adjust to her activities and there was no way that she would ever be lanky again. So the options were just ‘big and muscular’ or ‘big and flabby’. Daria had been vain enough to chose the first option.

Daria made sure that Quinn did this one by the book, with 45 seconds between the sets and not a second more. During the last five repetitions of set three, Daria gave Quinn a hand as she had obviously reached her limit.

Quinn sat completely exhausted on the machine and used her own towel to mop up the sweat that oozed from her every pore. Daria handed her the water bottle and left.
«Thank god she’s going to do her own training. I was afraid she would be on my back and put me through the wringer today.»

*****

Ms. Morris was delighted to see the professional monitoring Daria did and how she supported her sister once she noted her approaching her limit. This way she could push her sister to her limits without endangering her health. If you had to hire a trainer like that, you’d have to pay serious money. She was not happy when she saw Daria remove a dumbbell from the free weights section, but decided to trust her enough to let it slide. She was more interested in what would happen next.

*****

Quinn’s hope was crushed when Daria came back with a heavy looking dumbbell. Daria was not planning to leave her side until they were home again.

“Now, you did the training for the abs. We’re now doing something new, the same stuff for the back. Let me adjust the machine.”

Quinn got up and Daria used practiced motions to change the machine. Quinn was relieved as she saw her sister set the weights to 10 pounds.

“Ok, now put your hips against that padding, and rest your heels against this. Now put the pulley behind your shoulders. Yes, you need to go prone. Now erect yourself. That’s it. 10 - 15 - 3. Go.”

Quinn was shocked how much she had to struggle with the meager 10 pounds now. Daria stayed next to her and picked up the dumbbell to do some biceps curls on the side while she monitored Quinn. Quinn struggled through the first set, was on her last legs through the second set and required Daria’s continuous assistance through the third. She was wiped and came to the dreadful conclusion that Daria was going to push her to her limits today.

“Now the legs. Get up, we don’t have all day. Move Quinn, get over there, I know you like your legs in good shape. And it helps your job. Do your exercises on your own, but I’m watching.”

Daria pushed her towards the leg trainer, and Quinn willy-nilly set it up (properly this time) and started. Daria took a sip from her own bottle and worked further on her arms. Someway into the second set of Quinn’s second exercise Daria had to intervene again.

*****

The girls watched with awe at how Daria commandeered her sister through her exercises.

“Uh, whoa, that’s brutal.”

“She’s pushing her. Hard.”

There was an aura of authority around Daria that was compelling. She raised her voice every now and then to nudge her sister on.

“I don’t know If I’d be able to say ‘No’...”

“Me neither.”

Daria heard that as well, only Quinn was too caught up in her exercises to care for her surroundings.
«She may be my sister, but she has made it personal. She deserves just the best.»

*****

“Quinn, physiotherapy is to increase your health, not to ruin it. And if you keep repeating that excercise that way, you will ruin your knee and your ankles. Form a straight line. Right. That way. Now keep it that way.”

Daria returned the dumbbell, walked over to the next machine and set it up for her own exercises. She had to adjust about every adjustable setting on the machine to fit her frame - especially the weights. She looked back at Quinn, who was doing her exercises rather half-assed. Daria spoke up.

“At home it’s hard to get you to look anywhere else but the mirror, but you ignore those in here. They have been placed in here for a reason. And that’s not for you to check if your make-up is smudged. Watch yourself and monitor your movements!”

Quinn looked over to her sister with an annoyed expression, but she did as she was told. If Daria said so, she could really ruin her health if she didn’t.

*****

The professional way Daria coached her sister struck Ms. Morris. She would not even overlook the slightest misalignment or malposition. Depending on the severeness of the error Daria would just correct Quinn, or scold her. Daria let her have breaks, but only short ones so her heart rate would not drop too far. Daria would assist, but only if Quinn really reached her limits. Ms. Morris was sure Daria started to work against Quinn the one and only time that Quinn tried to coax her sister into doing the work. Daria was not just a proficient sportswoman, but a competent coach as well. She gave the less than enthusiastic Quinn a really nice workover.

*****

The girls continued to watch Daria and Quinn, as they had gotten from the little talk between the two tall girls. They met discreetly between their own exercises to compare their notes and managed not to upset Ms. Morris any further.

“She’s like a drill instructor. On a good day.”

“That’s her sister there. Picture her coaching someone else.”

The girls just looked at each other as they imagined themselves in that position. An image they did not like.

“Does she need a dictionary to look up ‘mercy’?”

«I doubt it would be nearly so much fun with someone else» was Daria’s only thought on that.

*****

The training seemed to last an eternity. Daria worked her hard as she had never done before. Quinn had learned that cutting corners meant a complete repeat, so she complied. She noted the wondering glances the few other girls shot at the siblings, but Quinn hoped that the girls’ focus was on Daria in drill sergeant mode and not on her unfashionable and icky appearance and mediocre performance. Her water ran out prior to the penultimate exercise, but Daria just made her continue. In the end, Daria had to nearly continuously assist her.

Once she was finished Daria handed her her half filled water bottle. Sharing like this was unsanitary, but Quinn did not have enough energy to care and started to drain it in one go.

“Whoa, slow down, tiger.”
Daria had a hard time not grinning. Someone had not kept up with her exercises during the summer. Beside that back exercises she didn’t add or intensify a single exercise, but Quinn was completely pooped. Luckily there was no PE tomorrow, as she was sure that Quinn was going be sore all over.

Daria gave the bottle back after some seconds and let her sister drain it in the second go. After some minutes, Daria carried/dragged Quinn into the locker room. Daria undressed while Quinn was slumped in front of her locker and tried to get he bearings.

“Quinn, we need to get going. Mom or dad will be waiting to pick us up and Coach Morris will wantto lock up on time.”

How done Quinn was for Daria realized as she complained neither as Daria started to help her to undress nor as she led her stark naked over to the showers while some other girls were around. Quinn would have never ever gone along with it, if she had been really aware of it. She was obvious beyond caring. At least Quinn cleaned herself up on her own once she was put under a nice lukewarm shower.

Daria showered herself and divided her attention between Quinn under the nozzle next to her and the three other girls in the shower. She had not seen any of them and they seemed to have seen neither Quinn nor Daria before. Especially not stark naked in the shower. But the reactions did not differ much from those Daria had gotten during her regular PE class. The rumor mill in the upper classes would be fed new facts, and they were the first to be able to make a direct comparison between the model and the freak. Daria knew that without her glasses there was no way to deny the familarity between herself and Quinn, but besides that their size was the only thing they had in common.

“Quinn, we need to get dressed. Sorry, but you can’t stay under that comfy shower forever.”

Quinn looked up, shook the cobwebs from her brain, turned the water off and nodded at her sister. Daria smirked at the slight blush that spread over the creamy skin of the red head as she realized that she had only a small shower towel at hand that would at most cover two of the critical regions. Quinn covered her front with the towel on the way to her locker, and mooned everybody who cared to look.

«God, Quinn, we’re all girls in here. There is nothing the others haven’t seen before. You want all eyes on you all day long, and now you turn shy.»

Daria dried herself with a second towel and dressed herself while keeping an eye on Quinn, nudging her on every now and then. They left the school and found her mother’s UAV in the parking lot. Walking over, Daria noted that Quinn’s movements were a little erratic.

«Slight hypoglycemia. Damnit, are you starving yourself again?»
Daria was not happy. She should have noticed this before it happened. They got into the car, and their mother immediately joined into the traffic.

“You’re a little late, girls.”

“Sorry mom, but training really wiped Quinn out and the shower took a little longer than expected.”

Quinn just nodded at her mother from the front seat.

“Well, looking at Quinn that seems to be the truth. Did Daria assign an uncalled for hard training, Quinn?”

Quinn shook her head, because Daria hadn’t. There was a single new exercise, and that was not the reason for her predicament. She knew she had slacked around during the summer.

“She’s likely still dealing with the move and the climate change, so I don’t see a problem.”

«She knows. But at least she covers me. Thank god for little favors.»

“I guess you’re right, sweety.”

*****

Doing chores was unusual for Jane, but busying herself with a task that she loathed helped her to get her mind a little off things. While running or painting she mulled things over and over again but came to no conclusion. This was really frustrating.

She had still not been able to apologize to Daria, but being around her was getting easier. And she wasn’t exactly sure what she felt about her. Mulling things over for the n-th time was a waste, and getting unpleasant chores done wasn’t bad either. At least the butterflies were gone. Maybe they were bugging her mother. Hopefully to an extent that she would smack them.

*****

The Morgendorffers continued the rest of the short journey home in silence. Daria picked up Quinn’s gym back as well as her own after they arrived and immediately headed through the garage to the washing machine, starting her and her sister’s gym cloths and towels. No use in waiting until the stuff started developing its own aroma.

“We’re home!” Helen announced.

“Hi honey, girls! I’ll get dinner ready.”

In the kitchen Quinn had made a pitcher with juice spritzer and just refilled her glass.

“Good thought, Quinn. May I?”

Quinn nodded while downing her second helping, Daria filled a glass on her own, and watched her dad set the dinner table while she downed it. He seemed to have made some kind of bruscetta au gratin. A nice meal, unless he had been to liberal with the Tabasco again.

Daria and Quinn refilled their glasses, put the now empty pitcher into the sink and moved to the dinner table. The dinner itself was a quiet affair, as Quinn was too tired to talk, Daria generally taciturn, which left Jake and Helen to talk about their day. Luckily, Jake had overlooked the Tabasco all together, and the meal had merely a slight hint of pepper.

With a smirk Daria watched Quinn work herself through her third helping of bruscetta from the tray. After all that exercise even Quinn’s body screamed loud enough for nourishment to override the willpower of her brain.

*****

Trent woke up well after dusk. He went into the kitchen to drink something. The band hadn’t been over since the trip to Food Lord, there should be soda left. He found Jane’s room deserted and was afraid to find her sulking in the kitchen again, but luckily the kitchen was empty. He got himself an Ultra Cola from the fridge and took a sip. He heard steps coming up from the basement and Jane came in carrying a basket.

“Ah Trent, won against Morpheus?”

“Nah, just a ceasefire.”

He took another sip from his drink. Jane was coming out of her funk. Good.

“You’re doing laundry, Janey? Could you...”

“No. No way, Trent. I want my stuff clean after a single cycle. Wash your own stuff.”

“But Janey...”

“No. Do your own laundry or bum another shirt from Jesse.”

“Jane, I...”

“No. Ask mom, or Monique if you feel suicidal. Grow up, I am not your maid.”

Jane grabbed a soda from the fridge as well. If she did that chore for Trent only once she would be stuck with it forever.

“And do not think of starting a cycle right now. My bed linen goes next. You have the whole week after that.”

Jane went to her room immediately after Trent had acknowledged her instructions. Doing his laundry wasn’t a bad idea. The pile in his closet was a little smelly. And maybe watching the clothes spin in the drum would inspire him for some really cool lyrics.

*****

Before going to bed, Daria knocked at her sister’s door and entered after being invited to. Quinn was sprawled out on the bed in her bedclothes at the verge of falling asleep.

Daria tossed her the bottle of Ibuprofen she had retrieved beforehand.
“Take one right now and a second in the morning. The soreness is going to be extremely nasty otherwise. Take another one to school for lunch.”
«With this its just going to be normal nasty, but I’m not going to ruin your hope...»

“Yeah, thanks Daria. Today was hard.”
Quinn popped a pill with some water from her bedstand.

“And you did not back out. Good work. Now sleep. Good night.”

Daria watched Quinn as she lay down again and closed the door. Quinn was likely to be asleep before she reached her room. Daria went to sleep as well hoping for a better sleep than the nights before. She hadn’t trained as hard as usual, but it was the first time for nearly two weeks. Tomorrow was Friday, and she was looking forward to her first training with the local chapter. Her bruise was well enough that she did not need Quinn’s services tonight, and she had prepared Quinn properly for the payback. She gave her 10 minutes, tops.

*****

With a fresh set of sheets Jane would get a really good night of sleep. She turned in early, as she planned to join Mystic Spiral on their Saturday night gig at the Zon. There would be people, there would be loud music and she was planning to lose herself a little. She’d better prepare.