THE REST OF MY DAMN LIFE: A Ranting Klown series

 

 

 

EPISODE 6

KICKING FOR THE WIN

(Daria takes some advice about taking a chance, while Neill becomes a campus hero)

 

 

Scene I (INT, DAY, Neill's Dorm)

 

NEILL

(Talking into phone) Dr Smith please.....yes....thank you...

 

DR SMITH

Ahh...if it isn't my favourite Cane toad

 

NEILL

Cockroach...

 

(Both chuckle)

 

DR SMITH

What's this about? Still suffering commitment issues?

 

NEILL

Yes...but this is worse...

 

DR SMITH

Are the flashes coming back?

 

NEILL

Yeah...

 

DR SMITH

So the change of scenery didn't work eh?

 

NEILL

No...I still can't get rid of the guilt...

 

DR SMITH

You know it wasn't your fault right?

 

NEILL

Logically yes...I'm not too sure about my subconscious....if I had truly accepted a rational truth...then I wouldn't be having these flashes right?

 

DR SMITH

Why don't you describe the dream to me? It may reveal some clues...

 

NEILL

Well, I was young...I walked over to her grave and put a single rose on it...I can't remember if it actually happened or not...I did visit her grave every week...

 

DR SMITH

So you're making progress...I'm curious...you say it was a rose you put on her grave?

 

NEILL

Yes? Why do you ask Dr Freud?

 

DR SMITH

I think your guilt over her death is causing a number of issues to arise...in dreams...we see a rose as a sign of romantic attachment...tell me...what were you doing right before you had the flash?

 

NEILL

Talking to Daria about my fear of commitment...the rose...it stems from my fear of intimacy doesn't it?

 

DR SMITH

For a cane toad, you're a clever lad...and good with puns...but it isn't a fear of intimacy you have...it's a fear of attachment.

 

NEILL

Intimacy and Attachment are the same aren't they?

 

DR SMITH

Similar...but not the same. You're not afraid of letting your walls down...you're afraid of letting them down to the wrong person.

 

NEILL

What do you mean?

 

DR SMITH

You bonded with one person...these things can be traced to very early childhood you see...and you're afraid of losing someone close to fate again...so you remain distant by trying to be perfect...I've seen it before...what you have to realise Neill, is that the incident was not your fault...and you don't have to make up for it to those who knew her by trying to be perfect... you don't have to substitute yourself for her...it's a pointless exercise anyhow...

 

NEILL

You did always know me better than I knew myself...

 

DR SMITH

Hey, I'm good at what I do...This Daria person...

 

NEILL

Yes? She's my roommate

 

DR SMITH

Wow, you don't waste time do you?

 

NEILL

No...it's nothing like that...I see her as more of a sister than anything else...

 

DR SMITH

And you say that you were opening up to her before you had these flashes?

 

NEILL

Yes...what are you getting at?

 

DR SMITH

Why?

 

NEILL

Why what?

 

DR SMITH

Why her?

 

NEILL

Don't know...I guess I just feel comfortable with her...you know? I can talk to her...as purely a platonic friend...I can talk to her...and not imagine what her face would look like in the middle of an orgasm...

 

DR SMITH

Hmmm...Neill, this is what I want you to do...find out all about Daria...and try to let a little of yourself out as well...report back to me in a week...

 

NEILL

Ok...I suppose I could do that...What's the damage?

 

DR SMITH

Nothing...Neill...you could do so much with your life...top of the State in School...Under 18's Captain...hell...you took care of 4 men for 19 years...if you could just get over this hurdle...you could do so much...and I'd like to be able to say 'I knew him when...'.

 

NEILL

Well, thanks...I'll talk to you in a week

 

(Neill hangs up phone)

 

Scene II (INT, DAY, Christie's Dorm)

 

DARIA

So then Neill starts saying something about being sorry

 

CHRISTIE

Odd...you sure he wasn't drunk? Because if you're drunk it doesn't count...

 

DARIA

No, that's the thing...he was perfectly sober...

 

CHRISTIE

Hmm...curiouser and curiouser...

 

DARIA

He's been acting weird all week...

 

CHRISTIE

Well, that's what abstinence will do to you...I mean...once you've actually done the deed I mean...(smiles slyly at Daria)

 

DARIA

Umm...speaking of doing the deed...umm...

 

CHRISTIE

Did I hook up?

 

DARIA

Uhh...yeah

 

CHRISTIE

Well yes and no...got a couple of girls to make out with me...and who would've thought that Swedish gymnasts would've been bi?

 

DARIA

Yeah...sure

 

CHRISTIE

Awww...little Daria is getting uncomfortable...ok then...I saw you talking to Brad...what's going on between you two?

 

DARIA

Well, he was talking...I was merely nodding my head...

 

CHRISTIE

Still shy?

 

DARIA

No...bored.

 

(Christie raises an eyebrow)

 

CHRISTIE

Were you bored when you used to talk to this Trent person?

 

DARIA

I don't want to talk about it.

 

CHRISTIE

Come on Daria! I just know there's a little girl in there trying to get out...

 

DARIA

There is...she was annoying me so I ate her

 

(Christie Sighs)

 

CHRISTIE

Fine...are you going to the game tomorrow night?

 

DARIA

Let's see...Football...Beer...People...I think I'll take a raincheck

 

CHRISTIE

I think we should go...

 

DARIA

Why? You hate football.

 

CHRISTIE

I meant for Neill...it's his first game...and considering the week he's had... we should be there for him...

 

DARIA

I suppose you're right...but if a football gets within 2 feet of me...I'm holding you responsible...and my vengeance will be swift and sadistic.

 

CHRISTIE

Will it also be Silly, Sad, and Surprising?

 

DARIA

Don't say I didn't warn you...

 

CHRISTIE

I'm onto you Daria...you talk a big game...but you've got nothing Morgandorffer...Nothing

 

DARIA

Oh...I have game...As you will all too painfully find out one of these days.

 

CHRISTIE

Is that a promise?

 

DARIA

Not so much a promise....more of a mission statement.

 

Scene III (INT, Day, Deans Office)

 

DEAN BLACK

Thank you for meeting me here Coach Kline

 

COACH KLINE

Not at all Dean...it's an honour and a privilege to be here sir!

 

DEAN

Let's cut the small talk. Tomorrow's game...do we stand a chance?

 

COACH

Yes sir!

 

DEAN

Because the last time I asked you that question, we went 21 games without a win...do I need to be worried?

 

COACH

No sir! Thanks to this new kicker we've got. He can kick the ball a country mile...and he never misses a field goal...it's incredible...maybe next year we can recruit from Russia...get some muscle in our offensive line...

 

DEAN

Well I certainly hope he lives up to expectation Coach Kline...this game against Edgewater is perhaps one of the most important...(Under breath) Damn Ferguson....looking all smug on the cover of Dean Weekly....(Speaks up) Do I need remind you that if we lose this game...consequences will be severe...for all concerned...?

 

COACH

(Nervous) No...not at all...you make yourself clear...crystal sir... (Gulps)

 

DEAN

Well good...you may go now.

 

(Coach Kline departs...Dean Black ponders for a while, before pushing the intercom button)

 

DEAN

Betty? Could you get me Neill Hayden into my office?

 

Scene IV (INT, DAY, Neill and Daria's dorm)

 

(Neill enters the room)

 

NEILL

Ladies. How's it goin'?

 

CHRISTIE

Oh Neill...we were just talking about you, weren't we Daria?

 

DARIA

Yes. Neill...which type of coffin do you like?

 

NEILL

Just skin me and hang it on the shed. Christie...can I have a word with Daria?

 

CHRISTIE

(Confused) Yeah...sure...Daria...I'll see you tonight.

 

(Christie leaves)

 

NEILL

Hey...I want to talk about last night...

 

DARIA

Ummm....ok...I have coursework to do...

 

NEILL

Now I know that you're 8 weeks ahead on each class....if you don't want to talk bout it...all you have to do is say...

 

DARIA

No...(conceding the point)...I guess you could use an impartial sounding board...besides...I'm a girl...may help with perspective.

 

NEILL

Good. I want to apologise for what you witnessed last night...

 

DARIA

The party? Well...I guess that one gets used to those things...

 

NEILL

You know what I'm talking about...

 

(Daria looks down)

 

NEILL

Listen...this isn't going to be some huge, dramatic moment. I just wanted to say that if I ever make you feel awkward like that again...don't be afraid to pull me up on it.

 

DARIA

Wait...you're apologising?

 

NEILL

Yeah...

 

DARIA

Why?

 

NEILL

Because...you know....just because

 

DARIA

Oh.

 

NEILL

I suppose I should explain my actions...it's the woman in those photos's...back in Australia she was my...

 

(Knock at the door)

 

(The knock throws Neill off)

 

DARIA

I'll get it.

 

(Daria opens the door)

 

(There's a woman at the door)

 

DARIA

Yes?

 

WOMAN

Are you Neill Hayden?

 

DARIA

Yes...I'm also a transgender magician...able to change sexes at whim

 

WOMAN

Listen, all that I've been told that the Dean wants to see a Neill Hayden...if you see him...tell him okay?

 

DARIA

Doesn't this involve some sort of fee?

 

(Woman glares and leaves)

 

DARIA

Damn...Hey Neill?

 

NEILL

Yeah mate?

 

DARIA

The Dean wants to see you.

 

NEILL

The Dean? What the hell did I do?

 

DARIA

I don't know...want to take my pepper spray?

 

NEILL

Nah...I can take him.

 

Scene V (INT, DAY, Dean's office)

 

(Neill enters)

 

DEAN

Ahhh... Neill my boy! Take a seat.

 

NEILL

(Confused) Okay sir...

 

DEAN

Enough with the sir business...we're all friends here.

 

NEILL

Alright then...Dean Black...what's this about?

 

DEAN

Just wanted to see how our star kicker is

 

NEILL

Star kicker?

 

DEAN

From what I've heard...you're the best thing to happen to our team in years

 

NEILL

Me?

 

DEAN

Yes.  Apparently nobody can come close to kicking a ball like you do.

 

NEILL

Well, we grow up kicking the ball in our country...whereas your mob throws a ball around...

 

DEAN

Interesting. Tell me...how's the room?

 

NEILL

Great

 

DEAN

How's life treating you?

 

NEILL

Can't complain...

 

DEAN

No niggling injuries?

 

NEILL

Not that I know of...listen...am I in some sort of trouble or something?

 

DEAN

No...just wanted to make sure you were enjoying your stay at Raft

 

NEILL

I am sir.

 

DEAN

It's Richard

 

NEILL

Okay...Richard...may I go now?

 

DEAN

Of course.

 

(Neill gets up...still slightly confused...then leaves)

 

DEAN

Good. All the pieces are falling into place...and maybe this year I can wipe the smug smirk off that damn Ferguson's face...

 

Scene VI (INT, DAY, Neill's Dorm)

 

CHRISTIE

So he just calls you into his office...for a friendly chat?

 

NEILL

I guess so

 

CHRISTIE

Damn...I've never heard of anybody entering alive and leaving in the same state

 

NEILL

Well...I am slightly confused...

 

CHRISTIE

Aren't we all?

 

NEILL

I guess so.

 

CHRISTIE

Change of topic. I don't suppose you could wrangle some tickets for Daria and I tonight?

 

NEILL

You...Daria...Football?

 

CHRISTIE

Yeah...we decided to show our support...we know you've had a rough week...so we decided to come and support you.

 

NEILL

I guess I could scrounge up some tickets....but why are you so concerned?

 

CHRISTIE

What do you mean?

 

NEILL

Well, you don't strike me as the sort of person that gives a crap...about anything.

 

CHRISTIE

Well, that's mostly true. We've all got skeletons in the closet though.

 

(Neill gives Christie an enquiring look)

 

CHRISTIE

All shall be revealed in time...

 

NEILL

Okay...

 

(Daria enters)

 

CHRISTIE

Hey girly.

 

NEILL

G'Day short stuff!

 

DARIA

I can come back...

 

NEILL

Nah...come on in!

 

CHRISTIE

Join the insanity!

 

DARIA

No thank you...I'm fine with my early senility. I'm not interrupting anything?

 

NEILL

Not that I know of...oh...Christie was about to tell me about her hometown.

 

CHRISTIE

I was?

 

(Sly look from Neill)

 

CHRISTIE

Oh...yeah. Well, what can I tell you? I'm from Oregon...small town called Jacksonville. You know the sort. White picket fences...apple pie...all that sort of crap. You know...a town full of simpletons stuck in their narrow minded convictions...

 

NEILL

What about you Daria?

 

DARIA

Oh no. I don't give out information like that unless I'm being paid.

 

CHRISTIE

Come on Daria! The more we know...the less we'll bug you!

 

NEILL

Yeah!

 

CHRISTIE

You don't want us asking uncomfortable questions all the time...about Brad...

 

NEILL

Trent...

 

DARIA

Fine...damn you. I'm from Lawndale. A small town. Stuck in their narrow minded convictions...you know the sort...

 

NEILL

Come on! I'll tell you about my childhood if you tell me about yours.

 

DARIA

What an incentive. Just let me go and get some paper and a pen so I can write down whatever you say...

 

CHRISTIE

Come on Daria...I want to hear all about Lawndale!

 

DARIA

Well...in truth...there's not that much to tell. Moved there in junior year...met Jane...

 

NEILL

She was the one on the web cam?

 

DARIA

How did you see her on the web cam?

 

NEILL

Don't worry...continue.

 

DARIA

Well...Jane...you'd like her Christie.

 

CHRISTIE

She likes women too?

 

DARIA

No...although she was sketchy after art colony...no...she was sane...you know...she could see the stupidity of others...

 

CHRISTIE

Ahhh...a rarity indeed. Tell us about your ex.

 

NEILL

She has an ex?

 

CHRISTIE

Yeah...I know! Freaky!

 

(Daria blushes and leaves)

 

NEILL

Damn

 

CHRISTIE

Maybe we shouldn't push her so hard...

 

NEILL

But then how will I get my kicks? It's like a slowly unfolding soap opera...next thing you know...her ex will be going out with her best friend......

 

CHRISTIE

I know what you mean...the fact that she gives away so little just makes it just that little bit more intriguing.

 

NEILL

You think that this ex has anything to do with this whole Trent/Brad saga?

 

CHRISTIE

Don't know

 

NEILL

I reckon at least 10-1 odds on though

 

Scene VII (EXT, DUSK, Courtyard)

 

(Daria walking through Quad...trying to gather thoughts)

 

DARIA

V.O- Why the hell did they want to know so much? Are they onto my secret super-weapon project?

 

(Brad walking up...notices Daria)

 

DARIA

V.O- The last thing I want right now...no...the last thing I want is an enema.

 

BRAD

Hey...Daria...Cool

 

DARIA

Hey Brad...the band taking a break?

 

BRAD

Yeah

 

DARIA

So....what's new?

 

BRAD

You know...party...practice...the usual...Hey, are you going to the game tonight?

 

DARIA

Is everybody going to this damn game?

 

BRAD

Yeah...should be massive...besides...its Neill's debut...got to be there....you know...support and stuff...

 

DARIA

Yeah...I guess

 

BRAD

Cool...we're having another gig at the Pimento this weekend......if you wanted to come......it'll be cool...

 

DARIA

Yeah...sure (blushes)

 

BRAD

Cool...I've got to go now...you know...band stuff...

 

DARIA

Cool

 

(Brad walks off)

 

DARIA

V.O- Dammit! Damn hormones...

 

(Professor Hamilton walks by)

 

PROFESSOR HAMILTON

Ahh...Daria. Just the girl I wanted to see.

 

DARIA

You did?

 

HAMILTON

Yes...I just wanted to comment on your writing...have you ever considered submitting some of your work to publishing houses?

 

DARIA

Once...

 

HAMILTON

I'm rather surprised that somebody didn't try to push you to do this earlier.

 

DARIA

Well...they did...

 

HAMILTON

And you haven't been published yet?

 

DARIA

I only submitted to one magazine.

 

HAMILTON

Well if you ever wanted to broaden your horizons...I've got some contacts who would love your work.

 

DARIA

Well...thank you...sir...I'll consider it.

 

HAMILTON

See that you do.

 

(Daria leaves)

 

Scene IX (EXT, DUSK, Courtyard)

 

(Daria enters a phone booth and dials a number)

 

AMY

Hello?

 

DARIA

Hey

 

AMY

Hey...if it isn't my favourite niece!

 

DARIA

Can I talk to you?

 

AMY

Well...I do have that top secret weapons project to work on...but sure.

 

DARIA

Did you ever get attracted to...the wrong guy?

 

AMY

What do you mean?

 

DARIA

It's just that all my life...I've been cursed with this brain. I can see people...but I also see all of their insecurities and faults...I can see if someone is incredibly stupid...dull...or just plain wrong for me...so why do I seem to get attracted to the wrong guy?

 

AMY

Hmmm...tough question...I can only tell you what I've learned from years of abject humiliation...Daria...it's going to be really hard for you to find a guy that's right for you on first impressions...because you're unique.

 

DARIA

Just like everybody else

 

AMY

Chances are that you're going to find most guys dull and stupid...it is a curse...but it's also a gift. It's a double edged sword. Have you ever heard of the phrase nothing ventured, nothing gained?

 

DARIA

So you're saying that even though I can see that these guys are idiots...I should take a chance?

 

AMY

Precisely...besides...I've been lead to believe that you took a chance on that Tom guy...did you regret it?

 

DARIA

For the first few weeks sure...but after that...no.

 

AMY

Listen...for every slacker out there...there's an intelligent guy...besides...didn't you hate Tom before you dated him?

 

DARIA

I guess that's true...but then I got to know him better...

 

AMY

Precisely...and as to why you get attracted to the wrong guy...it's a Barksdale thing...believe me...I've been involved with lots of guys that were wrong for me...

 

DARIA

I'll take your word for it...thanks

 

AMY

Any time...

 

(Daria hangs up)

 

Scene X (INT, EXT, NIGHT, The Big Game)

 

(The Coach is addressing the players before the big game)

 

COACH

(Nervously) We all know how important this game is for all of us...This game is a matter of inches...you've got to go out there and win for your team...push the envelope...you've got to inspire me...don't lose...good god don't lose!

 

NEILL

Wow...that was the speech of the century

 

STEVE

Hell Yeah! Woooo!

 

(All the players run out, pumped up, except for Neill who just looks bemused)

 

(Out in the stands)

 

DARIA

Yes...but if your take hostages...you've got to feed them and keep them healthy for the ransom.

 

CHRISTIE

Ah yes...but here's the beautiful part of the plan...

 

(Players emerge to the roar of the crowd)

 

(Pan up to commentary box)

 

COMMENTATOR

Welcome sports fans! This is Randy Goat calling the Edgewater vs. Raft classic! This one should be a blockbuster folks! Edgewater have won the past 10 encounters between the teams...but now their on our patch...and Raft is set to unveil secret weapon, Raft Radio's own Neill Hayden!

 

(Neill runs out to girlish cheers)

 

(Pan to Christie)

 

CHRISTIE

Wow...it's almost sickening...

 

DARIA

Almost?

 

CHRISTIE

Did I say almost...I meant to say absolutely.

 

DARIA

Amen to that sister.

 

(Cut to Neill, who is about to kick off)

 

(Cut to Commentary Box)

 

COMMENTATOR

Ok...here we go folks! The Kicks high.....and deep.....really deep....that's a huge kick....and the receiver is down! 25 yards form the end zone! Raft have pinned Edgewater back on the first play of the night!

 

(Zoom to Daria and Christie)

 

CHRISTIE

Wow...I forgot how boring this game could be...

 

DARIA

Go team go

 

(Shots of the game going on...to shots of Christie and Daria looking really bored)

 

COMMENTATOR

And that's Half-Time folks! What a half Sports Fans! Raft...not given a chance before the game...have remained level at the half...that's a first for Raft!

 

(Cut to dressing room)

 

COACH

Ok...(still nervous)...good hustle...good hustle...okay...we're one half away from overtime....try to send it into overtime...that way...we don't lose...(nervous laugh)   

 

NEILL

Wait? We're not going to try to win in normal time?

 

STEVE

Woooooo!

 

NEILL

Shut up Steve!

 

COACH

No...we'll take it into overtime...then we rely on your foot to kick some field goals...

 

NEILL

So...your plan is to lock down? For an entire half?

 

COACH

Yes...now...go out there...don't let them complete one pass!

 

STEVE

Woooooo!

 

NEILL

SHUT UP STEVE!

 

(Cut to stands)

 

DARIA

Do we really have to be here for the second half?

 

CHRISTIE

Yep. What's the point of leaving half-way through?

 

DARIA

The fact that we wouldn't have to watch a half of football.

 

CHRISTIE

Listen...I came to support Neill. You don't think I hate this stupid game...because I do...it's just that...if you're going to do something...you've got to do the whole thing!

 

DARIA

(Surprised by Christie's outburst) Okay...I guess we'll stay then...

 

(Pan to commentator)

 

COMMENTATOR

Okay folks! Get ready for some second half action as the teams come out onto the field...Raft led by Captain Steve Harley!

 

(Zoom to Steve)

 

STEVE

Woooooooo!

 

NEILL

If you don't shut up...I'm going to ram my foot up your arse!

 

(Zoom to Christie)

 

CHRISTIE

(Yelling) Woooo! Go Neill!

 

(Daria looks surprised)

 

CHRISTIE

What? If you're going to show support...you might as well throw your inhibitions out at the door.

 

DARIA

I don't even know who you are anymore...

 

CHRISTIE

Did you know me in the first place?

 

DARIA

Good point.

 

(Shots of action)

 

COMMENTATOR

And with 5 seconds left on the clock...Neill Hayden has the chance to tie up the game with a field goal...

 

(Zoom to Neill about to take the kick...he suddenly stops)

 

COMMENTATOR

And Neill Hayden is calling the team together! What do they have to talk about folks? All he has to do is put the ball through to send this sucker to overtime!

 

(Shot of coach on sideline)

 

COACH

What in hell is that boy doing?!

 

(From sidelines)

 

DEAN

I certainly hope that your star player doesn't jeopardise the result...do I need to remind you of the consequences if we lose?

 

(The Coach faints...nobody seems to care)

 

(Zoom to huddle)

 

NEILL

Okay...were going to win this now.

 

STEVE

God dammit Neill! I'm the captain and I say put the ball over!

 

NEILL

Well, I'm the kicker...and it seems as if the coach won't be making any substitutions soon! Do I make myself clear Sunshine?

 

STEVE

Yes'm

 

NEILL

Good...now how many of you watched the World Cup final?...this play is from the Lote Tuquiri playbook...

 

(Confused looks from team)

 

NEILL

Whatever...this is what we do...

 

(Zoom to Daria and Christie)

 

CHRISTIE

I wonder what they're talking about?

 

DARIA

My moneys on the Marxist viewpoint of capitalism in America today.

 

(Zoom to Neill and team mates)

 

NEILL

Robbo. Do you think you can get past your marker?

 

ROBERT

You bet I can!

 

NEILL

Good...and you play basketball as well?

 

ROBERT

Yep.

 

NEILL

Good...we need a good jumper...

 

(Zoom to Commentary box)

 

COMMENTATOR

And they still appear to be discussing something...you know...believe it or not...I think they may be going for the win! Big play coming up sports fans!

 

(Zoom to players in positions, Neill nods to Robert)

 

COMMENTATOR

This is it folks! It all comes down to this! Hayden has the ball...the shot...It's wide! And High! It's heading for the corner! Robert Small has snuck past his man....he jumps....he catches the ball and he's over! We'll wait for the referee's decision!

 

(Shot of referee giving 'touchdown' signal)

 

COMMENTATOR

It's good! Raft has won in the first time in 5 years! We've seen something special tonight folks!

 

(Crowd goes nuts)

 

Scene XI (INT, NIGHT, Daria and Neill's Dorm)

 

(Christie and Daria sitting in Daria's dorm)

 

CHRISTIE

Wow! What a game! I don't usually like football but wow!

 

(Daria looks at Christie suspiciously)

 

CHRISTIE

You know Daria...it wouldn't hurt if you got lost in the moment once in a while. You know...take a chance

 

(Neill enters)

 

CHRISTIE

Ahhh...there's the hero now.

 

NEILL

I'm no hero...but I do have superpowers. I'm glad you liked the game. What about you Daria?

 

DARIA

Well...I didn't get any horrific scars...and at the end of the day...isn't that what matters?

 

NEILL

Ahhh...praise from Caesar...or in this case...Julia.

 

CHRISTIE

If all football was like that...I may consider going to another game...maybe...if you pay me...in Nazi gold.

 

NEILL

Yeah...If I had Nazi gold...I'd be at the playboy mansion living it up. Have you two had dinner yet?

 

DARIA

Does congealed fat wrapped in a cardboard bun count as food?

 

CHRISTIE

According to health and safety experts the 5 second rule is valid...

 

NEILL

Well okay...I'll be cooking duck a l'orange if you girls want any.

 

CHRISTIE

Hey Neill...I meant to ask...I've never attempted to play any sport...so I've got to ask...what was going through your mind before the kick?

 

NEILL

Well...I guess I was just thinking that sometimes in life you've got to take a chance. Whether it is on a play or on a person (looks at Daria)...sometimes the greatest reward comes when you take a crack...when you go beyond safety zones and dare to dream...

 

DARIA

(Considers his words) I'll be back...I've got something I have to do.

 

(Daria exits)

 

CHRISTIE

What was that all about?

 

NEILL

I think Daria's about to kick for the win.

 

Scene XII (EXT, NIGHT, Courtyard)

 

(Daria walks to payphone)

 

(Split screen with Jane)

 

JANE

Hello?

 

DARIA

Hey

 

JANE

Hey! What's up?

 

DARIA

Nothing much...you know...deities in the sewers...you know...the usual...

 

JANE

Sounds fun....did you just want to talk?

 

DARIA

Yes and no...Is Trent there?

 

END

 

-          What will become of the mysterious phone call to Trent? What's up with Christie and her worship of Neill? Will Daria expand her academic boundaries and take Mr Hamilton up on his offer? Knock Knock. Who's there? All these questions and more answered in coming episodes.-

 

 

(Authors Notes)

 

**Wow! That's half a dozen already! Keep tuned folks...some really good episodes coming in the next few episodes. (P.S. I don't even know if the play mentioned is legal or not. I've patched what I know about the game through movies like Any Given Sunday and what little of the game we get over here)**

 

*Questions? Comments? Random Pigeon fan mail? Ranting_klown@hotmail.com*