Okay, this really might not exactly achieve critical acclaim but I've down fan fics in two other genres and Daria is the only one that I've ever been this interested in that didn't have song fics. Here's a little overview of what a song fic really is. A song fic is a short story that follows (roughly) the information laid out in a song and in some sort of fictional medium. So, here we go: My first Daria fan fic and the first Daria song fic I've ever seen. If this for some reason insults your die-hard Darianess then please contact me and if enough people think this is the absolute worst idea ever I'll think twice before I do a follow up. I just think that songfics fill a basic need in all our lives. They're not great reading. But if you're in the mood for something in particular and don't feel like wasting a lot of time, a song fic is a great way to give yourself that great little "I just read something romantic/exciting/angsty/thought provoking" buzz without putting a lot of time into plot details.

Plot blurb: Ever wonder what pushed Daria into her relationship with Tom? Ever wonder why Trent was so interested in it? NOW we (I) have an answer! This is set sometime between Lane Miserables and Fire!

Disclaimer: I don't own lots of things. I don't own Daria. I don't own Trent. I don't own the song "My Immortal." I don't own Evanescence. I probably don't own the webpage that you're reading this on. Me no get rich. You no sue. MmKay?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why?
or "My Immortal"

by Isabelle Young-Johnson

Why? That was the only word her mind could wrap itself around at that moment. Why? Why did I fall for someone like him? Why won't I just let myself fall in love with somebody who might actually see me, really SEE me? Why don't I want to be happy. Oh yeah...that's right...

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

Damnit! Trent thought. Damnit, damnit damnit. She'd seen. Daria had seen. She'd seen him and Monique in his car. It's not like anything was happening, well yes it was. He had to admit that yes, something was happening. Nothing that had never happened before though. Okay, so what was he thinking? Either he liked Daria or he didn't, there was none of this in between "She's really sweet in a girl next door kind of way" stuff. He needed to get this now. Either he liked her or he didn't.

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

So why did Daria like him? Damned if I know. That phrase just kept running through her head over and over again. Why? That word again. That word-phrase that summed up her entire life. Why did she feel anything? Why did she feel this? Why did she feel this gut-wrenching, heart shredding, mind numbing pain deep in the very pit of her stomach. Deep deep down in a place she couldn't find. Was it hurt that Trent was making out with Monique? No. She knew he'd probably done a lot worse. So maybe it was just the fact that he didn't want her. He didn't want her at all. But why?

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

Why? That was the thought that tormented Trent. Why did he feel this way? That was his little sisters best friend. Sure he knew she had a thing for him. He wasn't THAT oblivious. Wasn't he just indulging her because she was sweet? Wasn't he supposed to have feelings for Monique instead? It's not like he was just completely indulging his libido when Daria saw them-they were getting back together again. It was one of their "on" weeks. So why was he so bothered that Daria had seen? Was he really starting to feel that way?

You used to captivate me
By your resonating mind
Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away
All the sanity in me

Daria must have laid that way for hours. Just staring at her bed going over all the things that were wrong with her. She was too short, too plain, too straight up and down. Besides, she was going places. She had her choice of colleges. She would get out of Lawndale. Trent probably would never get out of his parents' basement. She closed her eyes tightly, a few stray tears gathering in her lashes. No, she could do better. She would do better. No more heartbreak. Not over Trent. He'd never noticed her anyway.

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

Trent definitely needed to deal with this. He knew, deep down, he knew he had to get her past him. He didn't understand his own feelings well enough to say anything, even if it wouldn't have been completely inappropriate considering their ages. He needed to be able to not feel guilty for doing things he wanted to do. But how?

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me

Daria had done a brilliant job of maintaining her normal stoic exterior. Jane never guessed anything was wrong. Daria couldn't tell Jane about that. Besides, Jane was already to busy with Tom to really notice. She had done such a good job of building over the cracks Trent had made in her foundation that she honestly never noticed the new way Tom was looking at her. She had honestly never seen him that way. Well, at least not until Trent mentioned it...

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

"Monique, I think we need to see other people." This time he meant it. He really did mean it. This particular break up came after a particularly nasty fight involving Monique's tendancy to get a little too chummy with guys at Mystik Spiral gigs. She yelled and swore and then left. Trent knew then that they would never really be together again. But yet even as it occured to him that he'd just ended the only relationship he had with anyone except Jane that had any real depth, he didn't care. His only thoughts really revolved around Daria and her relationship with Tom.
"I just don't get it," he said softly. "I really just don't get it. Not at all." But even as he said that, he knew that what he had said had been the deciding factor.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me...

But why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, thank you. That was my story. Again, I reiterate, please please please be nice. I haven't written a fan fic in forever and I've never done a Daria fic. Maybe I picked the wrong song...My Immortal would be better for a story about Daria and Trent being married or something...but oooh listen to me I'm having a Stacy moment! Just please send me feedback.