Missing

Synopsis

Daria runs away after her ex-friend from Highland comes back to haunt her.

 

Disclaimer? (I couldn’t think of the word)

 

I borrowed all the Characters from MTV. I plan to return them. I also borrowed the songs. Except for Red Van. Which I wrote.

All the made-up characters are in the Character study.

 

Character study!

 

Danny!

Danny is a long-blonde-hair-doing-leather-jacket-wearing-unfortunate-Kurt-Cobain-look-alike with a thing for Daria,

 

Sye!

Sye is a wannabe German that looks a little like Matt Belamy from Muse.

 

Morris!

Morris is just an average guy. Looks a lot like the blonde guitarist from LostProphets. Without the combover.

 

Chris!

Chris is the quiet one. Doesn’t look like anything really. Just average.

 

Chaz!

Chaz is ‘the best guitarist….in Jamestown’ He’s the pretty boy and looks a lot like Ville Valo with a bit of Davey Havok mixed in.

 

Scene 1

 

Good morning Lawndale! The sun shines on this beautiful Monday morning! Traffic rep---

 

Jane grabbed her radio, threw it out the window and drifted back to an uneasy dream.

 

Jane, I just can take living here. It’s exactly like it was in Highland. I’m going to screw it up again like I did back then. I’m not meant to have friends. I’m really sorry. But I know that I’ll just end up messing up again and I couldn’t deal with causing you or Trent any pain.

 

Daria. No, you can’t leave! I need you here; you’re the only proper friend I’ve had. What do you expect me to do? You’re scared of messing up, so you’re just going to get out of here? You’re so selfish.

 

See? I’ve already screwed things up. Jane, I’ve got to go. I’m sorry. Goodbye.

 

Daria!

 

Trent: Janey? Janey! Wake up! It’s just a dream.

 

Jane: Huh? Trent?

 

Trent: Don’t worry, Janey. It was just a dream.

 

Jane: It wasn’t a dream. She’s gone, Trent.

 

Trent: What? Daria’s gone?

 

Jane: Yeah. She left a week ago. Just after her 18th. Trent. She’s not coming back…

 

Trent: Don’t cry, Janey. Please don’t.

 

He takes her into his arms and they both start to sob whilst the ending of Space Oddity by David Bowie plays softy in the background. Ground control to Major Tom, your circuits dead, there’s something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?

 

Scene 2

 

Good Morning California! Today’s weather is calm and clear with temperatures around 22 ºc. Traffic reports are—

 

Daria switched the radio off in her mothers SUV and stretched her legs.

 

Daria: Oh great. Another sunny day to make me feel completely crap.

I don’t even know where I’m going or what I’m going to do. What a great life for me.  I guess I should post that letter to Jane and then go find a job.

 

Daria wanders around the small town she still doesn’t know the name of and soon finds a ‘Help Wanted’ sign in the window of a truck stop.

 

Daria: Excuse me? I’d like to apply for a job.

 

Waitress: Sure! Just let me get the manager.

 

Manager: Hi! We have a waitress position up for grabs. No qualifications needed. Can you start immediately?

 

Daria: Ok. How much do I get paid?

 

Manager: $50 a week.

 

Daria: That’ll do. Where do I find an apron?

 

Manager: Excellent!

 

Scene 3

 

Trent wakes up to find his tear-stained sister lying in his arms with a pained look on her face.

Then it all comes back to him.

 

Trent: Janey?

 

Jane: Hmm?

 

Trent: We have to go find her. Why did she leave?

 

Jane: Sh-She said that she was afraid of messing our friendship up.

 

Trent: Oh. I’m going to make us some coffee. Coming?

 

Jane: Mmhmm. In a bit.

 

Trent: I’ll call you when it’s ready, ok?

 

Jane: Ok. I just want to think.

 

Jane (Thought): Where are we going to find her? She didn’t tell me where she was going. I miss her so much.

 

Trent (Shouting): Janey! There’s a letter for you.

 

Jane (Shouting): You open it. I don’t really care what it says.

 

Trent: Ok.

 

Trent opens the letter and gasps in surprise.

 

Dear Jane and Trent.

 

I’m sorry I left. I truly am and I just wish things could have been different.

I didn’t tell you all of the reasons why I left, Jane. They’re so complicated. I’ll try and explain them in this letter but I’m not sure if I can.

Remember that new girl, Tessa? I know her. She was the friend I was telling you about at my 18th.

Tessa and I used to be good friends. Outcast with Outcast. Brain with Brain. That’s how it was. But then one day Tess decided it would be cool if we stopped being brains and replaced it with ‘rebelness’. I didn’t want to because I was comfortable with being a smart person. I was only 13 and still learning about being a teen. Or maybe how not to be a teen.

Tess wouldn’t hang out with me anymore and I was back to being a lonely, smart outcast.

When I moved to Lawndale and met you Jane. I forgot all about Tess and all that had happened there and I was happy with our friendship.

But then Tess came here. It all came back to me, Jane. How long would it be until you wanted to change too and I would be left? And I would have left you. I don’t think I could handle it all over again.

Tess made sure I remember how I had deserted her too. She blackmailed me. She threatened me. Then she left me. She left me to make sure I knew how it felt to be left.

Janey, I don’t know if you had noticed I couldn’t be me anymore. I couldn’t be sarcastic. I couldn’t be cynical. I’d changed. Tess made sure I changed. She made sure I changed to a different person.

I’m not Daria anymore. I don’t know where Daria is. Probably buried deep underneath this mess.

I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.

I just want to say Jane, you were the best friend I could ever have had. I love you.

And Trent. You know Daria.

All my love

Daria?

 

Trent: Uhh. Janey. You might want to read this. It’s from Daria.

 

Jane: Daria?! Give it!

 

Trent: Man. She’s really screwed up.

 

Jane: Yeah. She’s crazy. I’m going to kill this Tessa girl. It wasn’t even Daria’s fault.

 

Trent: I know, Janey. Where did the letter come from?

 

Jane: Jamestown. California.

 

Trent: Lets plan a road-trip.

 

Scene 4

 

Daria: Hi, What’ll it be?

 

Customer: I haven’t seen you working here before. Are you new?

Daria: Yeah. I’ve been working here for about a month.

 

Customer: Cool. I’ll have a burger and fries with a cup of coffee.

 

Daria: Ok. Be right back.

 

Customer #2: Haven’t I seen you play at The Un-aided?

 

Daria: Yeah. I play there twice a week to make some extra cash.

 

Customer #2: You’re good. Nice songs. You write them?

 

Daria: Yeah. Song writing isn’t one of my strong points. I’m more of a story/poem writer.

 

Manager: Daria! Stop chatting! We have customers!

 

Daria (Mumbling): Sorry.

 

Customer #2: I’ll see you tonight.

 

Daria: Yeah.

 

Scene 5

 

Daria sitting on a stage playing an acoustic guitar singing.

 

I'm lookin' at the world through tired eyes
I'm believin' that today will be different
I'm thinkin' that maybe someone does love me
But I'm rememberin' that I'm alone in this city

Oh I wish for a brown paper surprise
Oh I wish for someone to hear my cries!

Oh, red van!
Why wont you bring something for me?
Why do you deliver to every house but mine?
Oh, red van!
What's wrong with me?
What's wrong with the number 29?

Because...
I'm feelin' like no one wants me
Like the damp weather on august 15th
But why, must I be forgotten like a happy memory?
Because bein' alone, can't be what's me!

Oh I wish for a brown paper surprise
Oh I wish for someone to hear my cries!

 

Daria: Thanks. I’ll be back for a second set sometime tonight.

 

Customer #2: Hey. Remember me?

 

Daria: Yeah.

 

Customer #2: I’m Danny by the way.

 

Daria: I’m Daria. Nice to meet you.

 

Danny: Likewise. You have a good voice. It goes well with an acoustic.

 

Daria: Thanks.

 

Danny: You’re not from California, are you?

 

Daria: Nope. I’m from Lawndale. And nobody really told me what state that was in.

 

Danny: Hehe. I’m not sure where that is either. How did you come to Jamestown?

 

Daria: I ran out of gas.

 

Danny: Hehe. You want a drink?

 

Daria: Um. Sure. A beer would be nice.

 

Danny: Sure thing.

 

Daria: Thanks.

 

Danny: No really. How come you came here?  You got family?

 

Daria: Nope. It’s a long story.

 

Danny: Oh. Ok.

 

Daria: I mean, I’d rather get to know you first before I told you everything.

 

Danny: Hey, that’s cool.

 

Daria: Thanks. So how old are you anyway?

 

Danny: 20. You?

 

Daria: It was my 18th last month.

 

Danny: Well, happy birthday.

 

Daria: Hehe. Thanks.

 

Danny: I think you’re up.

 

Daria: What? Oh yeah.

 

Danny: Good luck.

 

Daria. Thanks. Again.

 

Daria (Onstage): Hey again. This song I’ve never played here before. A good band called Mystik Spiral wrote it.

Here it is: Behind My Eyelids.

 

As lashes close

I see my woes

Spread out like a carpet of bugs

In absence of light

Pass visions of night

As shallow graves left half dug

 

Behind my eyelids

Is a world you cannot see

A place just for me

Behind me eyelids

 

You watch a tear

It trickles clear

And glistens on my skin

My liquid pain

Oh, world profane

Please, baby, let me in

 

 

 

Scene 6

 

Jane: TRENT! It’s been 4 weeks! When are we going to find her?

 

Trent: Whoa, Janey, Chill. We just need to get some more gas money and money for food.

 

Jane: I can’t chill Trent! This is my best friend! She could be dead for all I know. Why don’t we just drag Jesse along? He can get the money for us.

 

Trent: Janey! Why didn’t I think of that?

 

Jane (teasing): I’m smart you’re not.

 

Trent: Shut up.

 

Trent (Phone): Yo, Jess. You want to come on a trip with Janey and me to find Daria?

 

Jesse (Phone): Sure dude. You need money, don’t you?

 

Trent: (Phone): Yeah. Is that a problem?

 

Jesse (Phone): Course not man. How much do you need?

 

Trent (Phone): About $100. Come round early tomorrow.

 

Jesse (Phone): Noon it is. See you!

 

Trent (Phone): Thanks dude.

 

Trent: We set off tomorrow around 3:00pm.

 

Jane: I knew it only look some screaming.

 

The next morning…Afternoon.

 

Jesse: Yo bro. You ready to get going?

 

Trent: Yeah.

 

Jesse: Where are we going?

 

Trent: California. Jamestown.

 

Jesse: Cool. How do you know she hasn’t moved from there already?

 

Trent: We just got to hope. Janey hasn’t got any more letters telling her otherwise.

 

Jesse: Yeah. But you still don’t know for sure.

 

Trent: Look dude! Janey’s got her heart set on finding Daria. She’d die if we don’t find her.

 

Jesse: Don’t you mean you’d die if we don’t find her?

 

Trent: I—

 

Jane: Are we going or what?

 

Scene 7

 

Danny: So you ran away from the two best friends you had ever had because some girl messed with your mind.

 

Daria: Basically.

 

Danny: What were your friends like?

 

Daria: They were. Amazing. I mean Jane was the first Lane I met and we hit off straight away because we were outcasts in school. We had to take this dumb self-esteem class from this teacher who knew nothing at all. Jane was the best friend I’d ever had. She’s an artist and wow; she’s great at it. She knows just how to capture the obscurity of a seemingly normal picture.

 

Danny: Sounds like quite a girl. What about the other one?

 

Daria: Oh yeah. Trent.

 

Danny: Boyfriend?

 

Daria: I wish. Trent was the laziest and messiest guy I knew.

 

Danny: Whoa. Laying on the flattering a bit thick there.

 

Daria: Hehe. He was also the nicest most understanding guy I knew. He could just look at me and know what I was feeling. I wish I could say the same about me. Sometimes I would wonder what went on in his head. But I do know how he thought. I think I loved him.

 

Danny: Unrequited love. Sweet.

 

Daria: Shut up. You sound like Jane.

 

Danny: Are you calling me a crazy artist woman?

 

Daria: Yes.

 

Danny: I suppose I can work with that.

Daria: So tell me about you. Why do you live in this scary town in California?

 

Danny: Nothing quite as exciting as you. No crazy woman from the past.

 

Daria: Not even your grandmother?

 

Danny: Of course not! My granny knits sweaters; bakes cookies and drinks prune juice.

 

Daria: I rest my case.

 

Danny: I’ve always lived here. It’s a lot more exciting than you think. Wait. No it isn’t.

 

Daria: Hehe. So what do you do?

 

Danny: I’m in a band and I work at a pub called Pothole Green.

 

Daria: They really know how to name their pubs don’t they?

 

Danny: They sure do. So the band and me heard you last night. We all agreed that you should join us. We’re desperately in need of a rhythm guitarist and female backing vocals.

 

Daria: If you’re called Helpful Corn, there is no chance.

 

Danny: Darn it. How did you know our name? Hehe. Nah. We’re called the Unhelpful Wheat.

 

Daria: I hope to god you’re kidding.

 

Danny: Me too. We’re called Downlift

 

Daria: You’re on. I’ve never played an electric though.

 

Danny: Don’t worry, son. You’ll learn from the best.

 

Daria: You know Hendrix?

 

Danny: Nope. I should have made it clearer. You will learn from the best in Jamestown. Want to come round my place and meet the rest of the band?

 

Daria: Yes, O driver of chariot.

 

Danny: How rich do you think I am? Us little people use horses.

 

Daria: I’m sorry then. I only associate with people that drive chariots.

 

Danny: Darn it . . . You coming?

 

Daria: Yes.

 

At Danny’s house. In the basement…..Familiar?

 

Daria: Why do all bands play in the basement?

 

Danny: Guys. This is Daria.

 

Daria: Hello guys. Do any of you young fellows own a chariot?

 

Chaz: Yes. It’s out back with my cape and top hat.

 

Daria: Excellent.

 

Chaz: I’m Chaz. Lead guitar.

 

Chris: Chris. Bassist.

 

Sye: Ich bin Sye. Keyboards.

 

Morris: I’m Morris. Drummer.

 

Daria: And that leaves our very own. Danny. As vocals.

 

Danny: And the lovely Daria as rhythm and backing.

 

Sye Die tollness of it all.

 

Daria: I agree, Hitler.

 

Morris: Lets get down to some music.

 

Chris: Yeah. Daria. Can you read music?

 

Daria: I can read chord letters if that’s what you mean.

 

Chris: It is. Brilliant. We have a gig in a week’s time. We’re doing about 10 songs or so. So today we’ll play you the first 5. Then you can join in on guitar playing and we’ll lend you CD’s to learn the songs.

 

Daria: I like a little structure in my life.

 

Sye: Das ist gut!

 

Morris: Uh. Yeah. So here are the songs with tabs and chord numbers.

 

Daria: Hmm. HIM – don’t fear the reaper, Nightwish – Phantom of the opera, David Bowie – Andy Warhol, Metallica – Until it Sleeps, Bob Marley – Redemtion Song.

Danny: Those are the first five. Don’t fear the reaper is like a duet thing.

 

Daria: Cool. I’ve heard a few of these.

 

Chris: We were wondering if you wanted to do your Red Van song too?

 

Daria: Uh. Sure.

 

Morris: Cool!

 

Sye: Ja!

 

Daria: Hitler, are you really German?

 

Sye: Uh. No.

 

Daria: Damn.

 

Danny: He’s just a German fanatic

 

Daria: You have weird friends.

 

Danny: I have friends?

 

Daria: My mistake.

 

Sye: Ach nein!

 

Scene 8

 

Jane and Jesse (singing…. badly): I try and try to forget you girl but it’s just so hard to do. When you do that thing you do.

 

Jane: I love this song!

 

Jesse: I know! It’s great!

 

Trent: Uhh…Where are we going?

 

Jane: California.

 

Trent: Oh yeah. Jess? Do you want to take over? I’m kind of tired.

 

Jesse: You’ve been driving for half an hour!

 

Trent (grumbles): Fine.

 

Jane: Hey Trent. What’s this Jesse tells me about you dying if we don’t find Daria?

 

Trent: Jesse!

 

Jesse: Sorry dude. But it’s true. I’ve seen you pining away these past few weeks. You need her man.

 

Trent: She doesn’t even like me.

 

Jane: I can vote on that. She started to hate you right after you forgot about out project. She has a big thing about these grade things I keep hearing about.

 

Trent (dejected): I knew it. Why do I pick the wrong people?

 

Jesse: Because you’re downright stupid?

 

Jane: You have no brains?

 

Trent: Aren’t you supposed to be cheering me up?

 

Jesse: What?

 

Jane: Be careful Jesse. We need to help the less fortunate not torment them…

 

Trent: Shut up.

 

Jesse: So how are we going to get Daria to come back with us?

 

Jane: Err…

 

Trent: Ask her?

 

Jesse: Trent, you’ll have to use your manly charms on her.

 

Jane: Charms?

 

Trent: I’ll have to go with Janey on this one. She hates me.

 

Jesse: But she said you knew her.

 

Trent: A lot of good that will do. She’s probably doing great with a boyfriend and a job.

 

Jane: This is Daria we’re talking about.

 

Trent: She changed remember?

 

Jesse: Hey! He’s making sense.

 

Jane: I guess. But how are we going to get her to come with us?

 

Jesse: We’ll just have to talk to her. Trent, you have to admit your feelings for her. It might be the only way.

 

Trent: But –

 

Jane: No buts Lane!

 

Trent: This is torture. I hate you all.

 

Jesse: Go to sleep. I’ll drive.

 

Trent: Thanks.

 

Trent climbs to the back of the tank drifts into an uneasy dream. Uneasy dreams seem to run in the Lane family.

 

Daria. I think I’m in love with you.

 

Oh. Um. I’m sorry Trent. I don’t like you.

 

Trent: Dammit! I can’t even sleep!

 

Jane: This can’t be good.

 

Trent: Janey, what’s wrong with me?

 

Jane: I think you’re in love, bro.

 

Trent: This is all I need.

 

Jesse: What’s so bad about it?

 

Trent: The girl I love ran away.

 

Jane: The story of your life.

Trent: Thanks for the sympathy, Jane.

 

Jane: Look. We’re on our way to get the girl you love. Chill out a bit.

 

Trent (mumbles): I didn’t even know I loved her.

 

Jesse: Trent, really. Did you bring your sleeping pills?

 

Jane: He has sleeping pills?

 

Jesse: Why do you think he sleeps such a lot?

 

Trent: Yeah. They’re somewhere here.

 

Jesse: Take them. You’re not going to get any sleep like you are now.

 

Trent: Hmmph. Ok.

 

Scene 9

 

Chaz: That’s D minor not major.

 

Daria: Dammit. I always get the two mixed up.

 

Chaz: Nah. It’s just because you’re not used to an electric. Let’s try again…

D m

Dm

G

Dm7

 

Daria: Yes! I did it. These songs are easy. Even for me.

 

Chaz: Hehe. Yeah.

 

Chaz: So you think you’re ready for the next practice?

 

Daria: Yeah. I learned the songs. All 10 singing wise. And guitar wise. I guess I just need one last practice before the gig.

 

Chaz: Perfect. The guys will be pleased. Have you and Danny got a thing going?

 

Daria: Danny? Nah.

 

Chaz: Oh right. You always seem to be joking around and stuff, you get on really well.

 

Daria: Nah. Danny’s just weirdly similar to me.

 

Chaz: Cool then.

 

Daria: When’s the gig, by the way?

 

Chaz: Tomorrow at 7:00pm. We’ve got to be there for 5:30pm though.

 

Daria: Cool. Can you give me a ride?

 

Chaz: Of course, milady. I’ll pick you up at 5:20. Where do you live?

 

Daria: Uh. 29 Terrace Block.

 

Chaz: Uh. Let me write that down.

 

Daria: I’ll just meet you outside Terrace Block.

 

Chaz: Done and done.

 

Daria: Thanks.

 

Chaz: Anytime.

 

Un-Aided pub, Downlift are about to play their first song.

 

Danny: Hey guys. Remember us? We’re Downlift. We played here last week.

 

Crowd applauds.

 

Danny: We would also like to introduce our new guitarist/backing vocalist. Daria!

 

Crowd applauds

 

Seasons don’t fear the reaper, nor do the wind the sun or the rain. (We can be like them)  Come on baby (don’t fear the reaper…)…….

 

A while later…

 

Danny: This is going to be our last song written. and sung by Daria.

 

Daria: Hey. This is called Red Van.

 

I'm lookin' at the world through tired eyes
I'm believin' that today will be different
I'm thinkin' that maybe someone does love me
But I'm rememberin' that I'm alone in this city…

 

Daria: Thanks again.

Danny: That was great! We kicked some serious ass back there!

 

Morris: Yeah dudette. You rock!

 

Sye: Ja! Du bist fantastich!

 

Daria: Shut up, Hitler.

 

Sye: Entshuldigung!

 

Chaz: Uh. Yeah bro.

 

Jane: Daria?

 

Scene 10

 

Jesse: Dude. I’m hungry.

 

Trent: Yeah. Me too.

 

Jane: Count me in. Where do we stop?

 

Trent: Uh. How about this place? The Un-Aided. Whoa. These people suck at naming things.

 

Jesse: So what? They have live music and food. What more could you want?

 

Jane: A - -

 

Trent: Don’t answer that one.

 

Jane: Yeah. Lets just go eat.

 

They enter the Un-Aided. Sounds like something off the matrix.

 

Jesse: Cool band

 

Jane: Hey. Isn’t that Daria? Setting up her guitar?

 

Danny: We would also like to introduce our new guitarist/backing vocalist. Daria!

 

Trent: I’ll take that as a yes. I didn’t know she played guitar. Or that she sung.

 

Jane: I did. She didn’t want anyone to know.

 

Jesse (singing): There can be miracles. When you believe.

 

Trent: Shut up Jess.

 

Jesse: Sorry.

 

Jane: She’s good. This reaper song rocks!

 

Trent: I think Blue Oyster Cult did it. Sounds better with Daria singing.

 

Jesse: Come on loverboy. Lets get something to eat.

 

Trent: Don’t call me that.

 

Jane: Touchy.

 

Barman: Hey guys! What’ll it be?

 

Trent: Uh…3 burgers, fries and 3 pints of Guinness.

Barman: Coming right up!

 

Jane: Way too perky.

 

Jesse: Yeah.

 

Barman: Here you go. These guys are good, aren’t they? They have a regular spot here every week. The new girl fitted in right with them! I’m sure her and the lead vocalist, Danny, have something going on.

 

Trent runs to the bathroom.

 

Jane: Aren’t girls the ones that are meant to do that?

 

Barman: Was it something I said?

 

Jesse: I’ll deal with Trent.

 

Jane: Ok. Mr. Barman? The one that ran to the bathroom is my brother. He is madly in love with my best friend, Daria there.

 

Barman: Shocking. I guess that thing about Danny did it.

 

Jane: You think?

 

The band plays on until Jesse and Trent come back for the last song.

 

Jane: You ok, bro?

 

Trent: Yeah. Sorry.

 

Jesse: We’ve got to talk to her.

 

Daria: Hey. This is Red Van.

 

I'm lookin' at the world through tired eyes
I'm believin' that today will be different
I'm thinkin' that maybe someone does love me
But I'm rememberin' that I'm alone in this city…

 

Daria: Thanks again.

 

Danny: That was great! We kicked some serious ass back there!

 

Morris: Yeah dudette. You rock!

 

Sye: Ja! Du bist fantastich!

 

Daria: Shut up, Hitler.

 

Sye: Entshuldigung!

 

Chaz: Uh. Yeah bro.

 

Jane: Daria?

 

Daria: Jane?

 

Sye: Bernadette?

 

Everyone looks at Sye.

 

Sye: Uh. Got to go! Aufwiedersehn!

 

Daria: What are you doing here, Jane?

 

Jane: Looking for you, pumpkin.

 

Daria: Pumpkin?

 

Jane: Sorry, Jesse’s rubbing off on me.

 

Jesse: I never say pumpkin!

 

Jane: Don’t try your hippy-trippy mind games on me Moreno.

 

Danny: I’ll leave you guys to. Catch up. See you Ree.

 

Daria: Ree?

 

Danny: Uh.

 

Danny leaves.

 

Jane: Please come back, Daria. I need you. We need you.

 

Daria: Jane I’ve told you. I can’t.

 

Jane: You seem like you’re back to your own self. Why not?

 

Daria: Because. I like living here.

 

Jane: More than you do with the friends you’ve known for 2 years? I thought I knew you, Daria.

 

Jesse: Come on Jane. We’ll leave Trent to say what he needs to say.

 

Trent: Jess—

 

Jesse: Just do it Trent.

 

Jane and Jesse leave.

 

Trent: Uhh..Daria..?

 

Daria: Correct.

Trent: Daria. I. I uh. I think. I’m in love with you.

 

Daria: What?

 

Trent: I love you.

 

Daria: Why would you want to love me? I’m a coward.

 

Trent: Because you’re the only one that knew how I thought.

 

Daria: I don’t know Trent. I do like you. But how would it work?

 

Trent: You would come back with me and we would live happily ever after. Or at least live ever after.

 

Daria: Trent. Ok. I can’t hide it. I do love you. But - -

 

Trent: But what Daria? I love you and you love me. That’s all we need.

 

Daria: Is it?

 

Trent: That and some money. Throw in a bit of food and we’re raring to go.

 

Daria (smiling): Ok. You’re on.

 

Trent hugs Daria. Danny watches on jealously.

 

Daria (whispers): I think we have to get out of here.

 

Trent (whispers): Why?

 

Daria (whispers): Because Danny looks like he’s going to kill you.

 

Trent: Good enough reason to me.

 

They grab Jesse and Jane, hop into the Tank and not so speedily travel into the sunset towards Lawndale.

 

What? You’re thinking. What about the other guys? The crazy German fetishist, Danny…and the rest of the guys?

Well. The band still went on. They got another guitarist/backing vocalist. Danny got over Daria. And they all lived ever after.