A Get Well Gift

By: Overlord Mikey-kun

This is my first piece of Daria Fan fiction (That I actually finished). Please send me an e-mail about what you think.

---

Lindy wakes up in the hospital two weeks after an accident to find her friend Quinn by her side.

---

Lindy's eyes opened to find herself in a plain white room with a large window. She felt groggy and her vision was badly blurred.

She heard a familiar voice call out to her. "Lindy your awake!"

"Q-Quinn? Where am I?"

"Your in the hospital. You've been out for the last two weeks." She could just barely make out Quinn's figure walking past her bed and over to the window, the light shining through.

"A coma?"

"Yeah something like that, can you remember what happened?"

Lindy tried to scour her memories, but everything was foggy. She knew she had gotten into her car and something about Quinn screaming at her.

"I-I don't remember. Did someone crash into my car?"

She could hear Quinn sigh. This was an obvious sign of what really happened.

"I crashed."

"Three cars where involved, your car spun out of control and slammed into the back of another. The car behind your's brake had started to go and they where going to get them checked, but at that time they failed and they smashed into you. I think you can put the rest together."

"W-was anyone else hurt."

"There was one fatality."

"Oh God, somebody died. Who?" Quinn returned to her side. Lindy's vision began to recover. Quinn remained quiet, but her face was turned away from Lindy. "Please Quinn I need to know."

"She was a girl about my age. Same classes as me, a girl I cared about, but when I think about it I hardly knew her."

"Q-Quinn I, I didn't mean to."

"So you know why you crashed."

"B-because I was drinking. That's why you where yelling at me."

Quinn did not reply.

"Quinn, I promise I'll get help, but please don't turn your back on me. I'm so scared right now."

"I'm not turning my back on you, I just don't want you to see me cry Lindy. I know you didn't mean to hurt anyone. I wish I was more forceful in trying from the very beginning. Then maybe all this pain could have been avoided."

"It's not your fault Quinn. It's mine."

Quinn got up again, still not facing Lindy she moved toward the corner of the room.

"I got made you something." Quinn began to hang something on the wall. when she moved out of the way it was a mirror like the one Lindy had made some many of her friends. "I want you to remember I'm not mad at you. I just want you to get better. Don't give up no matter how hard it gets."

"Quinn, I'll try.

"Promise me."

"I promise."

"Lindy."

"Yes Quinn?"

"Don't make me regret going with you alright."

"What are you talking about?"

Lindy heard the nurse enter the room and turned to her.

"Thank goodness your awake, I better go get the doctor." The nurse froze and looked in the direction of the mirror. "Where did that lovely mirror come from?"

"My friend made it for me."

"Your friend?"

"Yes, she made it as a get well present."

"Well she sounds like a nice person, I hope she visits before you leave, I would love to meet her."

Lindy gave the nurse a strange look "But Quinn is right-" She looked toward where the mirror was, but saw no one. "Where is she?"

"Dear it's the middle of the night, visiting hours are long since over."

Lindy noticed that outside the window there was only darkness. "Did I fall asleep and she left?"

"Perhaps? Anyway I have to get the doctor."

In a short while the doctor would enter to check on Lindy. Later the next day Shauna one of her friends from collage who had worked at the same job she met Quinn at dropped by to visit.

"Hey Lindy. How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright. Hey Shauna this may seem sudden, but you know that girl Quinn? The girl from Lawndale High, she was a senior. You've met her."

Shauna remained quiet and moved her eyes away.

"Come on don't mess around with me. I need to talk to her."

"Lindy, do you remember the crash."

"Of course I do! That's why I need to talk to her! I need to apologize I need to make it clear to her that I am going to quit drinking."

"Lindy, we all agreed one of us was going to have to tell you at some point, but I wish It didn't have to be me."

"What are you talking about!?"

"Quinn was in the car with you when you crashed. She tried to take the wheel just before you hit. They say that if she hadn't you would have been the one to die instead of her."

"Q-Quinn couldn't have died! That's not funny." She pointed at the mirror. "If Quinn died then who gave me that!"

Shauna looked at the mirror and she gasped "How did you? When did you?"

Lindy was confused. "What are you mumbling about?"

"Quinn had been going around asking about how to make those frames she wanted to make one for you. She was almost done when..."

Lindy then realized what had happened, every memory became crisp and clear. Lindy could feel the tears rolling down her cheeks. They where at a party and Quinn was trying to talk Lindy out of driving home drunk. Lindy refused to listen and insisted that she was fine. Some of her other friends also tried, but to no luck. They tried to take her keys, but it was to late she was already out the door and getting in her car. Quinn didn't want her to be alone in her condition so she agreed to go with her. Why had she allowed her pride to get in the way? Now a bright young girl, not even out of high school was dead. All because she refused to give up on her. Quinn had returned for just one more attempt to make her see the light. Shauna tried to comfort her, but she didn't know what to say.

Lindy at this point could only hope that she could rebuild her life, the life that Quinn Morgendorffer saved. It would be a long trial, but she would have to keep going.

The end.

...but not really.