story name:please summary: jane tries to recreate a really stupid incident that happened at the Zen ACT ONE It had been one of those really long weekends that never seem to end. And even though that was a dream of most high school kids everywhere, there were a few people who were eager to get back to the daily grind of learning. < scene one opens up early in the morning, with "I think Im paranoid by Garbage> (Daria is speeding down Howard Ave past the Lane home. She had been avoiding Jane since the "incident" on Friday night. But no matter what Daria tried, Jane seemed to be around ever little corner) Jane "Daria?? DARIA??" (Daria realizes she has been seen but decides to play it off, she continues walking down the street at a fairly quick pace. A few moments pass and Jane gives up on call her, she throws on her backpack and jogs after her.) Jane: "HEY DARIA?" DARia????? DARIA ? Daria < annoyed>: What? Jane (catching her breath) : I've been calling all weekend. And you have succeeded in avoiding me, mind explaining why? Daria: "Actually I d rather not get into it, besides I ve been busying. Sorry I didn't get to tell you myself. I thought my dad did… Jane: Yeah well he did (chuckles a bit) and the National Water Reserve called, you have also succeeded in causing a draught in this part of the Eastern seaboard. Now what was really going on? Daria: Nothing, well o.k. I guess I felt embarrassed over Friday night that's all. >Daria has a little flashback< (Mystik Spiral is on stage playing a new song, As Jane leaves Daria's side to go get a soda Daria begins to act oddly. A few minutes pass and Trent gives Daria a little wave in between a guitar break and a bass pick up. Jane returns and sees something strange happening to Daria, she has no time to react so she spins her around and see's exactly what had happened. Just then Daria turns beet red and runs out of McGrundy's, accidently flinging her Dr. Pepper on Jane.) (They are nearing school) Daria ( kind of distressed): "I cant believe it happened…Right there in front of everyone…" Jane (trying her damnedest to be supportive but can't help laughing) "It really wasn't that bad…(small laugh) Not many people saw (slightly louder) And I d like to see it happen again..(Really loud) And don't worry, the soda came right out of my shirt!! (They head up to their lockers and Daria is looking more upset then anything) Daria: I can't believe you thought that was funny! And now you want to put me through the torment of doing it again? (Jane nods) Daria: "I don't think so sister" Jane: Oh cmon (sobers up from her laughing fit) please? I need it fresh on my mind, I thought I might do a painting… (Daria just looks at her and shakes her head) Daria (firmly): "No and don't bother bringing it up again!" Jane: Fine fine, just kill the creative concept why don't you? Daria: Gladly. Just let me get my mallet out… < Scene two opens with Freak of the Week by Marvelous Three (or something like that) > ( Daria and Jane are in third period English, theres about 5 minutes to go) Mr O neill: "And finally I d like to take the remaining time today to reflect on what we have learned from The Great Gatsby. (He stands near his desk and waits for the hands to go up…unfortunately none do. He sighs and called on someone randomly) Mr O: " Um Jane???" (Jane looks up from a doodle) Huh? Mr O: "Your thoughts on our final moments together with Gatsby?" Jane: um (she fidgets a bit) I feel that devoting your life to filling up a hole that wasting really there is pretty pointless. (She looks at Daria) Unless of course this hole is easily filled then I say go for it no matter how stupid you look in others eyes. ( Mr O looks a bit confused and Daria raises her hand. He nods and she begins) Daria: I guess that it depends on what kind of hole it is. If it's the type of hole that can be filled materialistically then go for it but if this hole is the type that needs to be acknowledged subtly then I think people should (she looks at Jane) Back off and leave well enough alone! Mr O: I see where you are both coming from but what exactly does this have to do with-(the bell rings and the class room is exited) (Outside on their way to gym) Jane: What the hell was that in there? Daria: I told you earlier to leave me alone about that but you couldn't. Jane (gets that oh look) fine alright you did but…(beat) Can t I see just once? (Daria gets really frustrated and storms off) (30 mins have passed and everyone is playing volleyball. Daria and Jane are on opposite sides of the net) Jane: "Please???" Daria: "No" Jane: "Why not?" Daria: "I don't have to explain myself lane!" Jane (disappointed) : "fine, I ll remember that" Daria: "I bet you will" ( ane is painting a picture which depicts what happened on Friday night, Daria comes over and begins to apologize when she sees the picture) Daria: "Hey Jane? I wanted to say- Hey what the hell is that?" (She points to the canvas?) Jane: (smitten with herself) "wouldn't you like to know?" (Daria glares) "What? I had to take matters into my own hands…figuratively speaking and reconstruct the scene from memory." (She steps back and gives Daria room to move up) "So what do you think?" (Daria says nothing as she walks away shaking her head) Jane (She starts off loud): "Hey what were you going to say before you saw (Becomes quiet) the painting…This doth seem all to familiar to mine keen perception" (This scene ends with a fade out of Jane finishing up her painting) ACT TWO: (We are standing outside of the Morgendoffer home. There are no lights on except for a porch light. There we can see Jane knocking on the door) Jane (yelling again): " Hey Daria I know you re in there! I just saw the living room light go out." (She begins banging on the door) "Oh Cmon open the door!!" (The door slowly opens and we see one eye peer out through the darkness) Daria (deadpan): "What do you want?" Jane: "I came to show you something" (she takes out a big parcel) "Here, it s for you" (She slides it through the door to Daria, It slams shut and a few moments pass. Suddenly all the lights go on and Daria steps outside, doing it.) Jane: "I just knew you d like it. See, and it doesn't hurt a bit now does it?" Daria: : "Well the ring around your neck was an added bonus." Jane: "Cmon Daria, was it really that bad? After all, it was bound to happen sooner or later" Daria: Yeah I gu- (A car horn honks and Trent yells out) Trent: "JANEY, DOES SHE WANTS TO COME OR NOT? I THINK THE SET STARTS SOON OR MAYBE IT ALREADY DID. WE HAVE TO GET GOING." Jane< trying to hold back her laughter> : So um, did you wanna go to the Zen? (Daria s eyes widen and she nods) (Fade to the Zen, Ms is playing on stage. Daria and Jane are standing towards the back when it history decides to repeat itself) Jane: "I m going to get a soda, want anything?" Daria: "No, I m fine." (Jane pretends to walk away and gives the signal to Trent. He proceeds to smile slyly to Daria, wink then wave. She returns the wave with an involuntary grin.) SNAPSNAPSNAP (Jane has taken a few pictures of Daria grinning like a fool from afar.) (Fade to dropping Daria off at home) Daria: "Well, I ll see you guys later." (she begins to take off for the door.) Trent: "Hey daria?" (She stops and turns around) Daria: "Yea?" Trent: "Thanks for coming tonight." Daria (trying to hold back a smile as she thinks..' I ve been doing this way to much lately'): Sure thing trent… (she runs into her house) (Scene change. Jane is laying out some polaroids for Trent) Trent: "Who knew?" Jane: "See, I told you she was capable of smiling.. five bucks up front." (Trent hands her the money but slides the pictures into her pocket.) (the end) (authors note: I wasn't promising anything, I found this story just laying around on my hard drive and decided to finish it. I know its lame but I hope it made you smile hehe…sorry…bad joke..i know)