Chapter 3: Are we having angst yet?

"Could mankind really continue to exist if the act of conception was not a need and was not followed by voluptuousness but was simply an act of rational reasoning? Should not rather the compassion with the future generation cause a decision to preferably spare it the burden of life, or at least not saddle it therewith in cold blood? The world itself is hell, where the people on the one hand are the tormented souls, on the other devils."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

"We possess no means with which we could prevent our birth: but we can correct this mistake."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

"I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun."

-Ecclesiastes

"Positive thinking is a contradiction in terms."

-Daniel Suni



It had been a weird week. It was like everyone had been trying to "get things back to normal" as soon as possible, but there was something in the air preventing that from happening. There had been an official assembly in the auditorium that was supposed to honour Jodie's memory, but that Daria had felt almost to be a disgrace of the same. That assembly had proved to Daria that everything Jodie had said about her shallow friendships had been true. It had all been about what a great student she had been, about what she had accomplished, about what she had achieved. Not a single word about what kind of person Jodie had been. Probably, Daria had figured, because no one knew. Well, that wasn't entirely true. Mack had actually said something along the lines of what Daria had hoped for, but other than that it had been very thin indeed.

The whole idea with the assembly had been to honour Jodie's memory and to help the other students "process their feelings" as Mr. O'Neill had put it. For Daria the assembly had been nothing but yet another source of anxiety. All the talk about Jodie's accomplishments... it described the tragedy of it all so well. Jodie had been a nobody. She had never been anything but the sum of her accomplishments. Not in her own eyes, and not in anybody else's, (with the possible exceptions of Daria and Mack.) Few things could be more depressing than this. It was no wonder she felt she had to justify her existence all the time.

Then she had begun to question things in her life. She had begun to question what she had previously held self-certain... that there was a meaning with what she accomplished. And when this conception had finally collapsed - she had had absolutely nothing left. Looking out over the ruins of what had once been her life she had decided there was not a single thing in this world that she had any desire to live for. But people didn't see this. They didn't understand the importance of the question "What is the meaning of life?" in fact they didn't understand the question itself.

Daria still remembered the despise she had felt for them. Like blind cattle walking off to the slaughterhouse they were thoughtlessly strolling down the path of life constantly looking left or right, but never looking forward. Or if they looked forward they hardly ever looked further than the tip of their nose. It was all just a pleasure cruise to them. She had felt like crying out to them: IT YOUR LIVES DAMMIT!!! CAN'T YOU STOP FOR FIVE DAMNED MINUTES, AND GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT! She had no answers either, but at least she was thinking...

And thought she had. The whole week, back and forth, to and from... and she was beginning to wish she had never understood the question either. She was beginning to understand why people preferred their blissful ignorance to this. She had no answers, only questions - each question like a thorn in her flesh. She had never left her room, yet she felt like she had been run over with a steamroller. She was all alone, yet she felt like she was being tortured by a thousand tormentors from the Spanish inquisition. She was all alone with the nothingness of the universe, with the meaninglessness of life, the futility of hope, and the inevitability of death. She was lying on her bed, yet she felt how she was slowly being sucked into a bottomless precipice of black putrefaction.

What was the meaning of life? There was none. Man had evolved from nothing. A place suitable for life happened to form in this part of the universe. A few amino acids happened to react in the appropriate manner for life to be created. A number of mutations happened to take place over a few billion years, and finally she had happened to come to existence. She was the product of a number of co-incidences, and nothing more. Her life had no meaning because there had never been anyone that had ever meant anything with her life. There was nothing more meaningless in this universe than chance; it was a part of its definition. As soon as someone had meant anything with a certain action that led to certain results, those results were no longer accomplished by chance. She clenched desperately to the pillow, as if holding on to something would prevent her from being dragged down into the precipice.

Chance was only half of it. The meaninglessness of life had two hands - both strangling her from different directions. The first one, by the meaninglessness of the past, the second by the limitation of the future. Daria squeezed her eyes shut, but she couldn't get him out of her sight. With inexorable persistence he was standing there - The Grim Reaper - waiting... patiently... for her. A grim smile glimpsed from beneath the hood of his cloak, and slowly he extended his skeleton hand, gently tapping an hourglass which sand was slowly running, running, until one day it would run out. Time was on his side... he could always wait, and in the battle against earthly doctors he - unlike them - hadn't lost a patient yet. Why did it matter what she did with her life, when she didn't matter? Why would it matter how hard she tried to run in the race of life when the goal was in eternity and the scythe of the Reaper would speak long before she even came close? This was an image that had stuck in her head at the beginning of the week. At first it had seemed scary - now it seemed more like an invitation. An invitation to end it all. At first she hadn't understood why Jodie or anyone else might want to limit their lives even further than it already was. Now she understood - and desperately wished she didn't. Why did she have to ask all these questions? Because she was a "brain", and it was a part of her nature to ask questions.

"Why then not make the best of the situation while it lasted?" Well-meaning but clueless people would probably ask. These people still hadn't understood the question. They were still stuck with the self-certainty that all people are born with: That life has an independent value of its own. They didn't realise that this was about the meaning of life, and that something can not be meaningful today, and meaningless tomorrow - it is either meaningful today and meaningful forever, or meaningless today and meaningless forever. An action that at some point in history becomes meaningless has always been meaningless... What would be left of anything or any meaning after the universe had dissolved into entropy? And even if actions that she took could impact on future generations - SO WHAT? Even if she had done enough for mankind to be declared a saint, in what way would that matter? She would still be just as dead. In fact, even if she could do so much that she became a god, it would matter not. Only immortality would suffice. What is a dead god? NOTHING, of course! She was meaningless, all the people surrounding her were meaningless, and all future generations to come were meaningless, and what could possibly be more meaningless than a meaningless person doing meaningless things to benefit other meaningless persons?

The pressure increased as she slowly sank deeper and deeper into the precipice. It was already so intense that it felt like she had a boa constrictor around her chest, and just breathing required an almost superhuman effort. It felt like her intestines were slowly being dissolved by a strong acid, and that death could not be far away. "If only that were the case..." She thought. That was the worst part about angst. It never killed you - just tortured you and left you with the decision of whether "to be or not to be". She recalled a quote from Sören Kierkegaard: "A man walked about, thinking about suicide; but at that very moment a rock fell over him, and he died with the words 'God be praised!' " How well did she not understand that man right now? "Life..." She thought "...would be so much easier if you were dead." She forced herself to take yet another breath... what was the point in breathing anyway? Why couldn't she just stop there on the spot? What was the point of sustaining yet another pointless miserable existence? As if there weren't enough pointless existences in the world already. As if it mattered. As if anything mattered...

Then the worst thing that could possibly happen, happened: There was a knock on the door. Daria knew the drill already, and while every cell of her body was screaming "NOOOOO!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!" she quickly sat up, grabbed an open book and said with as normal a voice as possible:
-"What is it?"
The door opened, revealing her father standing in the doorway.
-"Hi, kiddo. I just wondered if you were coming down for dinner? I'm trying out a new recipe!" He sounded very excited as usual, especially when he came to the recipe-part. This of course only added insult to injury, but Daria knew better than to actually betray any emotions. She knew that if her parents had any ideas of what she was thinking she would have ended up on a psychologist's couch in a matter of minutes - possibly even worse.
-"I'll be right down." She heard her own voice reply, all while her mind was screaming "NOOOO!" Even though she hated the feeling of being sucked into the bottomless precipice, the alternatives were even worse. When she was on her own, she at least didn't have to pretend that everything was all right. If there was anything worse than being miserable, it was being miserable while pretending not to be. She thanked her lucky star that she had started to uphold a stoical exterior years ago. No one would be surprised by the fact that she didn't smile a lot or that she seemed more or less indifferent toward a great many things.

She looked at the book she was holding. It was still Waltari's "The Egyptian". She had never come to finish it - mostly because it seemed far too hopeful and positive these days. She put it back on the floor and headed down toward the kitchen, hoping that nobody would hear the deep sigh she let out. She had barely made it to the table before she realised that this was going to be one long dinner. The smells wafting from the stove didn't promise much in the way of culinary entertainment, and Quinn was on the phone babbling with her usual annoying high-pitched voice. Daria took her place at the table all while trying to mentally block out all the sensations that were bombarding her. "Please, God" She thought. "Don't let them try to start a conversation."

-"The Fashion Club is coming over." Quinn announced. She had hung up the phone, and was already taking her seat.
Daria silently groaned. The fashion fiends! What had she done to deserve this hideous faith? It would be impossible to be in this house when the air would be filled with annoying voices delivering stupid comments about completely meaningless things. The Fashion Club - bah! That if anything was an incarnation of meaninglessness. They had made shallowness their religion, and while reading Holy Scriptures like "Waif"-magazine they loudly worshipped the Almighty Entity of Superficiality, every week offering it sacrifice by going shopping at Cashman's. The whole thing was enough to turn Daria's stomach. There was nothing else to do; she had to flee to Jane's place. That was not a good alternative either... Jane knew her too well, and she could tell when something was wrong, but it would still be the frying pan and not the fire.

-"I was thinking about getting a new pair of sandals. I don't think this colour goes together with my hair."
Daria looked at the source of the voice filled with despise. SANDALS! How could she think about sandals? WAS THERE ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD THAT COULD POSSIBLY MATTER LESS!? Life itself was meaningless and she concerned herself with sandals and beauty! Didn't she realise where her "beauty" would be in forty years?
-"The same place as your intellect when you're suffering from Alzheimer's at the geriatric warden." Daria almost jumped at this thought. It had been her own thought, yet the thought had been so unfamiliar to her that it had almost felt like an outside voice talking to her. Ten minutes ago Daria had been convinced that there was no way in this world that one could possibly feel any worse. Now she realised the folly of such reasoning. There was no hell so bad that one could not increase the temperature a little more. The precipice truly had no bottom. Daria had always been proud of her intellect, although she had been careful not to show it. Now her pride had just received a deadly broadside - ironically fired by itself. Even as everything had felt meaningless, Daria realised, she had still taken pride in the fact that "she at least saw the meaninglessness whereas the others were blind and oblivious". In fact she had tried to "smuggle" a piece of meaning around the emptiness that way - by telling herself that at least her thinking was something she could be proud of. She had told herself that it was deep. She had told herself that although everything was meaningless, this was in some way meaningful. But wasn't this "deeper" than beauty anyway? After all beauty was something you were just born with, right?
-"Intelligence too is hereditary." The merciless voice inside her head answered.
-"But it's still something you need to work on, to build up. You have to read, you have to think!" Daria tried desperately to win this conversation that was going on inside her head. She was catching at a straw right now. This was the only thing she had left.
-"Intellectual make-up."
With that one line the straw snapped, and Daria felt herself falling, falling, falling...

Daria ate her food quickly. She had no idea what it was, nor did she have any desire to know. She barely bothered to chew - after all why bother? She probably wouldn't have bothered eating at all - why engage in pointless life sustaining activities of a pointless life - had it not been for the fact that it might have attracted attention, and that was the least thing she wanted right now. Besides - there were better ways to kill oneself than starvation. After finishing the meal she quickly excused herself and left the house. Just in time, she noted, as the fashion club was already on their way up the walkway to the house before she had made it even half a block.

-"Oh, it's you. That's great, you haven't been over for a couple of days. I was already wondering if something had happened." Jane was obviously glad to see her, and Daria honestly wished she could have felt the same way. "Everything is okay, I hope?" She added with a much more concerned voice. She had not been able to forget their last conversation in this building.
-"That depends on your perspective." Daria said, hoping Jane would not make any further inquiries.
-"And that means..."
Never hope, Daria told herself, hope is futile.
-"That life... kind of sucks." She reluctantly admitted.
-"This wouldn't by any chance have anything to do with---" Jane carefully started, before she was cut off.
-"Yes, as a matter of fact it does. I have just lost everything I am, and if you'll excuse me I don't feel like talking about it." Daria slumped down in the couch and stared at her boots.
Jane didn't know what to say. This was like a nightmare come true for her. Even though she had noticed that Daria had seemed more vacant than usual the last week and missed a couple of opportunities at sarcasm, she had still hoped that it was something that would pass. She had never seen Daria like this before and she frankly didn't know what to do.
-"Uh... Is there anything I can do at all?" She finally asked, when she couldn't think of anything better to say.
-"Well, I suppose you could kill me." Daria didn't bother with hiding anything any more - she just couldn't bring herself to care enough. Jane on the other hand was shocked. Daria had joked about suicide before. That was nothing new. But this time... her voice... it sounded like she weren't kidding at all.
-"Daria. I don't know what's wrong with you, and I don't really understand philosophy that well, but won't you please talk to me? Whatever it is that's eating at you - holding it in is not going to make it any better."

***

-"...so what are the benefits of all my thinking? It might slightly change the chemical composition of my brain, thus providing the maggots that will aid the decomposition of my corpse with a slightly more nutritious meal."
Jane gave Daria a slightly puzzled look. She thought she understood what Daria had explained about shallowness and "intellectual make-up", but still - there was something about it she just couldn't grasp. She felt like she both understood and didn't understand at the same time.
-"But I still don't see how this could be so serious." She finally tried. "Isn't it enough that you do something that feels meaningful?"
Daria sighed. How could she get Jane to understand? Did she even want her to understand? She had no idea what a bliss her ignorance was. She had no idea what Daria was going through. And she didn't realise that this was in fact so serious a matter that it had taken Jodie to the point where she was now. Daria thought about it. Just today she had been at the cemetery looking at the grave they were digging. Six feet long, three feet wide, six feet deep - the terminal station of all human beings. The service was to be held the day after tomorrow, and Daria was planning to go. Even though it seemed meaningless - how she hated that word already - for some reason she felt she wanted to say goodbye.
-"No. It's not enough to do something that feels meaningful. The meaning of life is something objective - that means I'm not free to define it myself. It either is, in which case I must find it and live my life accordingly, or it isn't in which case nothing matters and I can do anything I like."
-"Uuuh? Could you take that from the top?" Jane felt that her brain was slowly overheating. She tried desperately to follow, but Daria wasn't always easy to understand, especially when she got this theoretical.
-"Okay. The meaning of life is something that defines us. Us human beings, that is. It defines our lives. Follow me so far?"
-"I think so."
-"Okay. Well if it defines us, then we can not define it. That would be a circular definition."
-"Errr..."
-"Look. The meaning of life is something that stands above us. It's bigger than you and me. For me to define it would be like me trying to fly by pulling my own hair hard enough."
-"Well who can define it?"
-"The only one who can define it is dead."
-"Who?"
-"God."
-"Why does it take a god to define the meaning of life?" Jane asked, still quite puzzled.
-"The one who defines the meaning of life must have two characteristics. Two characteristics to unclench the two hands of meaninglessness."
-"Hands of meaninglessness?"
-"It's a metaphor... So I'm a poet, even when I'm a depressed poet."
-"Gotcha. But what does the metaphor stand for?"
-"Well, basically there's a problem with the past, and there's a problem with the future. The problem with the past is that no one has ever meant anything with man kind, and therefore all humans are meaningless."
-"That is... unless there is a creator!"
-"Very good. You have just taken your first step into a larger world." She replied with her best Obi-Wan Kenobi voice.
-"Bu-u-u-ut... does it really matter after all? If it's a god or just simple co-incidence that's behind the existence of mankind? We exist - isn't it the end result that counts - not how we got here?"
-"Yes there is a difference. See this canvas?" She pointed at one of Jane's numerous paintings. It was a cubist painting of a cactus in the middle of a desert with a vulture sitting on it.
-"I have a twenty-twenty vision. It would be hard for me not to see it."
-"I bet you meant something with it while painting it, right?"
-"Yeah, why?"

Jane remembered quite clearly how the painting had come to existence. She had painted it right before Daria had moved to Lawndale. She had just received word that she would have to take self-esteem class yet one more time. The painting had described just how she felt. She was the cactus - lone, majestic and untouchable in an inhospitable place (the school, symbolised by the desert) surrounded by teachers who, even though they couldn't get to her, did their best (the vulture).
-"Have you heard about the monkeys-with-typewriters-and-infinite-time theory?"
-"That one of them eventually will type the collected works of Shakespeare?"
-"Yeah, well now picture a bunch of monkeys with paint cans..."
-"Okay. I get your point... One of them would eventually create a painting just like that one?"
-"Exactly. Now what kind of meaning would that painting have?"
Suddenly Jane realised what Daria was getting at. The painting - even though it might look exactly like the one she had made, would not carry any of the meaning or the feelings that she had put into it. An observer wouldn't even have the chance to discover the meaning behind it because there wouldn't be one.
-"It... wouldn't have any." She finally had to agree.
-"Absolutely correct. In one case there is a relation between master and masterpiece, in the other... there is just random chance. Same thing with the works of Shakespeare. Even if a monkey eventually would produce his entire works, those words would carry no more meaning than 'efalaar nooman yrsil'."
-"I see."
-"Now, the problem with the future is---"
-"But what about aliens! What if mankind was created by aliens as, say a reserve food supply? This creator doesn't have to be a god does he?" Jane felt she was finally getting the hang of it.
-"I was just getting to the second part, but since you asked: If man was created by aliens for food, then we do indeed have a purpose - but not a purpose for ourselves. In other words - from my point of view my life is still pointless. It has a meaning only to the Zorkian that plans to have me for lunch. Now in order for my life to have a meaning for me as well I need to achieve immortality, because no matter what I do - it won't matter to me when I'm dead. If you don't believe me, try convincing a dead man his life was meaningful until he believes it."
-"Very funny."
-"It's also very difficult." Daria smiled. It actually felt good talking to Jane, and she even felt that her sense of humour was returning. Jane had noticed the same thing, but chose not to comment it. "In other words: There has to be a life after death - and not just any life - it must be a life that is somehow connected to this life by the creator, otherwise there would be a break in the chain. And I don't know about you, but I'm ready to call anyone who can pull that off 'God'."
-"Uh? Break in the chain, you said... What does that mean?"
-"Well, for the meaning to actually be a meaning there must be some meaning with it."
-"Spare me the philosophical puns, okay?"
-"Okay. If there is no connection between the meaning of this life, and the formulation of the next, then this life is nothing more than a meaningless prelude to the real life."
-"O-o-okay... So you're certain that there can't be a meaning without a god...?" Jane said, partly because she didn't know what else to say, partly because she wanted to check how certain Daria really was.
-"Well, you can also picture it this way: What would happen if we could define the meaning for ourselves?"
-"Why do I have this feeling that you're going to tell me?"
-"Because you're psychic? Well, anyway: Let's say that I claim that the meaning of life is to get your name into the Guinness' Book of Records."
-"That's stupid. Why don't you at least try to pick something decent."
-"How can you tell what's decent and what's not? Remember: I'm defining the meaning of life here. I can make it anything I want, and that's part of the point. In fact when you say that my previous definition of the meaning of life was stupid, you did so by comparing it with one of your self-certainties. This probably states that the meaning of life is supposed to be something "highly valued", and the fact that 'making the book of records' doesn't make it to the list of things that are highly valued enough, is another self-certainty of yours."
-"Okay, okay!"
-"But just to humour you I can pick something else too. Let's say that I claim that the meaning of life is to bring all mankind together as one, create world-peace and promote understanding between different cultures."
-"Come on. Are you getting this sappy just to make fun of me?"
-"As a matter of fact, I am. Now, the point is that everyone doesn't necessarily share my opinion - in fact a guy, let's call him... Adolf... claims that the meaning of life is to rid the planet of all Jews. Now, as we almost immediately notice these goals are mutually contradictory. If we have one, we can't have the other. So... how can I claim my meaning is the right one and his isn't?"
-"Are you kidding me?! His so called meaning involves killing people!"
-"Irrelevant."
-"WHAT?!"
-"It is irrelevant, because you're using moral as an argument to why my 'meaning' is better than his. Unfortunately the meaning of life defines our moral, not vice versa."
-"Uhh... I think you lost me there... again."
-"It's really very simple..."
-"I wish you at least wouldn't say that. I feel stupid enough as it is."
-"Okay..." Daria said with a chuckle. "...I won't. The point is: Before you can define a moral, you must have defined a goal that that the moral is supposed to strive towards - you must have defined a meaning of life. The meaning of life tells you what the goal of your life is. The moral tells you how to get there. You must answer the 'What?' before you can answer the 'How?'. You can't prove Adolf wrong just by claiming that his meaning involves killing people. He'll just laugh in your face and say that that's the whole idea. Of course you can't commit genocide without killing people. If the meaning of life involves genocide, then the moral derived from this meaning will also allow murder - of certain individuals anyway."

Jane felt like she had been punched in the face. She found it hard to believe that it was actually Daria who was sitting there saying these things. She knew Daria wasn't promoting murder or anything like that, but the comments just felt so... blunt, especially for Daria whom she knew, had quite high standards of moral. And why did she have to be so damned smart? It seemed to be almost impossible to say anything to her that she didn't already have an argument against.
-"So you're saying genocide is a consequence of people creating their own meanings?"
-"No, I'm saying that chaos is the consequence of people creating their own meanings. Adolf, after all couldn't prove me wrong either."
-"Why is that?"
-"Isn't that obvious? We're both humans. None of us have any immediate 'natural' advantage over the other. It's my word against his - a standoff if you want. The problem is that there is no objective truth that we can compare our subjective points of view to."
-"Huh?"
-"Well picture this: You're in a spaceship. Some distance away there is another spaceship. The space you're in is completely void. No stars, no planets, nothing. Suddenly you see that the other spaceship is moving slowly... or is it? How do you know which ship is moving? There are no points of reference."
-"Oh. You mean like at the train station, when you don't know if it's your train or the one on the track beside you that's moving?"
-"Exactly. You have to look at a tree, or a house - something you know is stationary. As long as you only have the two objects, you can only compare the differences between the two, you can't determine which one is moving, or whether both are." Here she paused to let the words sink in. "Or if you transfer this to ideologies, you can easily determine the mutual differences between two of them, but there is no way you can determine the value of either one. The reason is that you have no point you know is stationary that you could compare to. You have no objective truth you can compare them to, only subjective opinions."
-"But what about science?"
-"What about it?"
-"Couldn't one use science to determine that truth? Like... It would be possible to determine a person's biological needs with science, wouldn't it? Then one could use that knowledge as a foundation for moral."
-"I see what you mean, unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem. Science can determine the biological and even many psychological needs of a person - yes. What science can't do is determine the value of these needs, and therefore science can't be used as a foundation for moral. If we first were able to determine that looking out for other people's needs is good moral, then we could use science to further specify that moral... But that's one big 'If' - much bigger than most people realise."

There was a moment of silence. Jane was thinking about this. She thought she understood what Daria was saying, but... no. She had to be wrong. It would just be too depressing if she were right. That was when Jane finally realised it - she could almost feel the bulb light up over her head. Daria did believe in every single thing she had said, and that was the reason for her depression. Jane almost couldn't believe she hadn't understood that any sooner. Despite all that Daria had told her, she had still continuously assumed that there had to be a "reason" for Daria to act this way. It had never occurred to her that one really could be depressed on intellectual grounds alone... well if there was anyone that could manage that, then Daria was definitely a strong candidate. She wasn't still entirely sure, though - so she decided to probe a little further...

-"So, you're saying that if there is no god, then there is no meaning of life and if there is no meaning of life there is no moral?"
Daria actually felt good about herself. Jane had precisely and accurately summed up their discussion in a single sentence - perhaps she wasn't such a bad teacher after all.
-"I'll give you that - you're not as slow to catch on as you let yourself believe."
-"But... don't we, sort of, need a moral?"
-"Oh, yes - if we want to co-exist."
-"And... You're not only saying that there isn't any given moral, but that it is also impossible for us to create one on our own?"
-"Basically, yes. Of course you can take a number of maxims and declare them to be a moral. You can set some goals for your life and call achieving them a meaning. You can also take a piece of wood, carve yourself an idol out of it, call it a god and start worshipping it. All three actions are equally misguided and pathetic. God defines the meaning of life. The meaning of life defines morale, and moral in turn defines our lives. We can not define these things - it would be foolishness, and the 'higher' you go in the hierarchy the more obvious the folly becomes."
-"But if that's true, how come mankind has survived this far?"
-"Never underestimate man's capability to deny facts when it's convenient. Voltaire said that: 'It's a good thing that God exists. If he didn't we'd have to invent him.' I can very well see his point, and in fact I think that's how mankind has survived - through one simple invention: God."
-"Invention? I never knew you were an atheist. How do you know he is an invention, by the way?"
-"Actually I would consider myself an agnostic. When I say invention, I simply mean that there is no way for me, or anyone else to know whether God exists or not - therefore all the descriptions we have of him must be inventions."
-"And there is no chance of retaining a morale without this invention?"
-"Not for any longer periods of time. You can't remove the foundation and expect the building to stand for very long. If God is dead everything is allowed, and the only consequences of your actions are the ones that other people or society are responsible for."
-"And that is not enough?"
-"Well... I suppose the is one final substitute you could use for God."
-"And that is...?"
-"Human stupidity and denial. If people have been able to deny the impossibility of knowledge regarding the existence of God, they may also be capable of denying the meaninglessness of life, and the irrelevance of all action. But if you look at our history at all the wars, all the misery, all the injustice et cetera, and keep in mind that this occurred while people had three safety barriers (God, meaning and moral) it kind of makes you want to ask the question: What will happen when there are only two?"
-"You're such a ray of sunshine. You know that?"
-"Thank you. I wouldn't want to have it any other way."
-"Okay, but if there is no moral what prevents you from killing me here on the spot?"
-"The fact that I don't feel like it."
-"That's... it?"
-"Yup."
-"Okay, then what prevents you from killing... say Quinn?"
-"Fear of retribution from society."
-"I'm almost sorry I asked."
-"But if the anxiety caused by the insight into the emptiness of life drives me to the same level of desperation as it did with Jodie, then retribution of course is no longer an issue."
-"Okay. I am sorry I asked."
-"No. It's true. All authority of all governments is actually based on the power to kill. It's just a question of who has the authority to kill whom, and in which situations. The way we answer these questions also defines the government."
-"Daria! We live in a democracy!" Jane had known Daria to say some pretty cynical things, but this was unusual even for her.
-"A-K-A, a form of government where criminals tried and convicted of certain felonies, defined by a law created by a Parliament elected by the people, are killed by a hangman authorised to perform this task by the state."
-"Okay, but all countries don't have the death penalty."
-"Irrelevant. Even in those countries the police is authorised to use deadly force if the criminal is resisting arrest using deadly force. If that were not the case, all a criminal would have to do would be to fortify himself in some building with tons of ammunition and a machine gun."
-"This has been the most depressing conversation I have ever had."
-"Don't say that just yet. I wasn't finished."
-"You're not going to stop before I need intravenous Prozac, are you?"
-"You see, if I don't care what happens to me I can do anything. If I don't care whether I live or die, I have absolute power. There is no God in heaven who is going to judge me, and the authorities can do whatever they want to with my corpse. Almost nothing becomes impossible if self-sacrifice is an option. I could probably kill the president, and nobody could do anything about it. Frankly I'm not surprised we've seen so many school shootings lately. It is in fact very easy to understand they way they reason. They are simply depressed enough to have crossed the line where self-preservation is still an issue. They are bitter at their schoolmates, because these are at least partly the cause of their anxiety, and they simply decide to follow the motto of Winston Churchill."
-"Winston Churchill?"
-"Yeah, well actually he cancelled the slogan at the last minute, but he was planning to remind the soldiers that went into the war that 'You can always take one with you.' "
-"But they're killing these people. Isn't that a completely excessive form of retribution?"
-"First of all: If you knew that you were going to die within the next five minutes, and you believed there was no God in heaven to pass judgement on you for your actions, would you give a damn? Second: If we assume that the other students truly are even partly responsible for pushing them so far into desperation that they want to kill themselves... well you could have some trouble convincing the shooters that their retribution is excessive."
-"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE DEFENDING THESE PEOPLE."
-"I'm not defending anybody. I'm merely stating the facts."
-"But you talk like people didn't matter at all!"
-"That's the point. If life is meaningless, and frankly I don't see much around me that would prove the opposite, they don't. Death is merely absence of life, and death has a negative value only in proportion to the positive value life has. If life is irrelevant, that is, has no value - then death is irrelevant too. If I'm meaningless, and you kill me - what have you accomplished? Nothing! My death is meaningless too - you could just as well have swatted a fly."
-"But if everything is so meaningless then why do they have to kill anybody? You just said that that is meaningless too."
-"Of course it is, but how many of these cases do you think go unnoticed? How many people do you think never make the headlines, because they just kill themselves quietly in the privacy of their own homes, like Jodie? And then there is also the fact that people are guided by emotion and not by logic alone. If we were, we would have stopped procreating the same day we started thinking. In fact I'm pretty sure that's why we see all this stupidity around us. Evolution. Pure intelligence is not fit to survive."

Jane stared at her boots while trying to digest this. She almost didn't believe her ears, yet there was something about what Daria said. A dark cold merciless logic that actually scared her.
-"So... One more time: If God is dead, the meaning of life is dead and if the meaning of life is dead we might just as well be dead."
-"Correct, and for finding the right answer you've just won ten points and a truckload of existential angst."
-"How about I skip that last part, and just hope God isn't dead?"


Go to Part 4