Short summary: A cross-over between Daria and “LotR” (the first part). Enjoy.

 

Daria (and associated characters and locations) is copyright © 1997-2000 MTV Networks.

 

This story is copyright © 2002 by Bacner (olgak531@rogers.com) and has been written for personal enjoyment. No infringement of the above rights is intended.

 

 

Scene 1. (Prologue)

Curtains. Ms. Li is standing before them, saying to the audience (the readers)

 

Ms. Li: Ladies and gentlemen and children of all ages. It my greatest honour (and the honour of Lawndale High) to show you our presentation of the first part of-

Does a cue, the scene darkens, and Ms. Li vanishes, and bright bold letters state:

 

Lord with the Ring!

 

Ms. Li: (off stage) KEVI-IN?!!

Kevin: (also off stage) Sorry.

 

Lord of the Rings!

 

Scene 2.

(Black screen). A voice sounding like Mrs. Bennett’s can be heard:

I amar prestar aen. The world is crooked.
han mathon ne nen. I soak it up with the water.
han mathon ne chae. I see it in the eyes.
a Han noston Ned gwilith. I inhale it with the air.
Much that once was is lost. And none, who now lives, remembers anything at all.

 

Ms. Li: (hissing) You certainly prove that true – didn't you remember the lines?

Mrs. Bennett: (it is her!) Sorry.

 

Scene 3.

A fire comes onto the screen. A pair of tongs are seen pouring a heated liquid into a mould. 

Mrs. Li: (apparently took over Mrs. Bennett with the narrative)

It began with the forging of the Great Rings.

Three were given to the Elves: immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings.

(Three hands are seen, each wearing one of the elven rings, which each has jewels on them. We see the elves (looking suspiciously like the 3 J’s) looking at the rings on their fingers.)

Seven to the dwarf-lords: great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls.
(We see the dwarves (look like sophomores with fake beards and wigs) take their rings)

And nine. Nine rings were gifted to the race of men, who above all else desire power.
(The men (the football team) are seen with their rings)

For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived.
(We see a crude map of Middle Earth, which blackens, as the screen blacks out.)

For another ring was made.
(Map is shown again, this time showing Mordor).

In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord “Mad Dog” Sauron forged in secret a master ring to control all others.
(We see Mt Doom, a volcano, spitting out lava from the top. We see “Mad Dog’s” face, wearing a golden mask. Then we see a more distant shot of Mad Dog, this time holding something up in his hand).

And into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice, and his will to dominate all life.
(Fire blots out his image, and in the fire we see round, gold ring. We see a close shot of Mad Dog, with the ring on his hand. The camera zooms in on the ring, which has fiery elfish letters on it.)

One Ring to rule them all.

“Mad Dog”: (caught in the rush of the moment) I've assembled an unbeatable team!

Ms. Li: (off screen) Yours is a silent role!

(Before this can progress any further, shushing noises are heard and Ms. Li continues to narrate.)
(Once again, we see a map of Middle Earth. A dark cloud originating from Mordor spreads to the rest of Middle Earth).

One by one, free lands of Middle Earth fell to the power of the ring. )(Ms. Li’s voice sounds happy, no matter how hard she tries to control it.)
(The map blends into a village in Middle Earth, where people are running away from Orcs, who are brandishing axes, and burning down houses)

(There’s a sound of a scuffle, and when the narrative continues, it was once again said by Mrs. Bennett):

But there were some who resisted.
(We see an army of men marching, then a long shot of the battle field, where there are thousands of men, elves, and Orcs in battle, marching towards each other. The camera moves up to show Mt Doom)

Mrs. Bennett: A last alliance of Men and Elves marched against the armies of Mordor. And on the slopes of Mount Doom, they fought for the freedom of Middle-earth.

We see an Orc snarling, then a line of archers shooting arrows. Once again, we see a long shot of the battle field, with Orcs falling off cliff tops as they are shot. There are tens of thousands on the battle field.

We see an army of elves and men, commanded by Elrond, who is played by Andrew Landon, who shouts a battle cry

Andrew Landon: Hold your positions! Fire the arrows!

(The Elves/Men have their shields drawn, and as the Orcs charge towards them, they draw their swords and fight them. They slaughter many Orcs)

Mrs. Bennett: Victory was near. But the power of the ring could not be undone.

(“Mad Dog” Sauron appears, and with him, a hazy cloud. We see a close up shot of his hand, which is wearing the golden ring. The fiery letters are very clear. He swings his mace, and the men and elves against him are flung outwards, yelling in pain. The king charges forward, trying to kill “Mad Dog”. The latter slashes at him, flinging him to the ground. His sword falls. Isildur, (Mack in bad make-up) his son, runs to his side, and takes off his helmet)

Mrs. Bennett: It was in this moment, when all hope had faded, that Sauron, son of the king, took up his father's sword.

Ms. Barch: Sauron didn't have an affair with the Numenorans, you dolt!

Mrs. Bennett: Bagger off!

As “Mack” grabs the sword, “Mad Dog” steps on it, breaking it. But “Mack” still has a hold on its hilt, and slashes at “Mad Dog’s” hand, cutting off the finger which wears the ring. The finger, still with the ring on it, falls to the ground, as “Mad Dog” falls backwards. “Mack” sits up and leans over the ring, as his opponent is destroyed in a light that seems to come from his body. A bright light comes from him, and a cloud spreads over the battlefield, killing all the Orcs and dark allies. “Mad Dog’s” mask/helmet falls to the ground, smoke coming out of it.

Mrs. Bennett: Sauron, the end of the three people of Middle-earth, was defeated…

Ms. Barch: (to Ms. Li) Angela, stop her! She’s not even making sense anymore!

Ms. Li: Not now, Janet!
”Mack”, amazed, picks up “Mad Dog’s” finger, (a Polish sausage made look fancy) with the ring on it)

Mrs. Bennett: The ring passed to Elrond, who had this one chance to destroy evil forever.

Ms. Barch: Elrond isn’t the son of Sauron and Isildur! Don't you hear what you are saying?
(We see the ring in “Mack’s” hand, and as he holds it, the finger of “Mad Dog” turns to powder)

Mrs. Bennett: But the hearts of men are easily corrupted. And the ring of power has a will of its own.
(We see “Mack” on a horse, and the ring on a chain around his neck. He is attacked by Orcs. One jumps onto his back, and the others shoot him with their arrows. He is seen in the Great River, dead, with three arrows in his back.)

Mrs. Bennett: He betrayed Elrond to his death.

Ms. Barch: You have mixed-up Isildur and Elrond again!
(The ring is seen floating down to the bottom of the river)

Mrs. Bennett: And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend; legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years the ring passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, it ensnared a new bearer.

(Screen fades to black, we see the same spot of the river, and then we see the ring, half buried, still on the river floor. A hand is seen closing over it)

Gollum: My precious.


(We see Gollum (Upchuck in a wetsuit) holding the ring in his hand, then a shot of the Misty Mountains)

Mrs. Bennett: The Ring had come to the hands of creature Golom, who took it to the depth of the magic mountain, and there he was burning with mad lust. And there it consumed him.

Ms. Barch: Sounds like a man!
(We see Gollum, deep in a cave, squatting on a rock, looking at the ring in his hand)

Upchuck: It came to me. My own. My love. My own. My Precious... Gollum... (pauses) Feisty!

Mrs. Bennett: The ring brought to Gollum unnatural long life. For 500 years it poisoned his mind. And in the gloom of Gollum's cave it waited.
(Screen blacks out, then we see an indistinct shape, which comes into focus: a full moon. The image sharpens more, and we see it behind the cover of a tree.)

Mrs. Bennett: Darkness crept back in the forest of the world. Gollum grew the shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear.

Daria: Plot twist! Gollum is the mastermind behind all of this, not Sauron!

Ms. Li: Miss Morgendorffer, be quiet! Mrs. Bennett is suffering, as it is!
(We see a ripple in the Great Lake, then the screen merges into a shot of a red sunset.)

Mrs. Bennett: (ignoring Daria’s comment) And the ring of power perceived its time had now come.
(We hear the sound of metal on rock, echoing through Gollum's cave, and see his ring falling.)

Mrs. Bennett: It abandoned Gollum. But something happened then, the ring did not intend. It was picked up by the most unlikely creature imaginable.
(A hand is seen on the ring)

Bilbo (Jake Morgendorffer): What's this?

Mrs. Bennett: A hoppit. Bilbo Baggins of Lawndale.

Mr. O’Neill: Uh, it’s a hobbit, not hoppit.
(We see a full view of a hobbit, who fingers it, then smiles)

Jake: A ring.

Upchuck: (Offstage, in the distance) Lost! My Precious is lost!!!

(We see the outside of the Misty Mountains, now moving away from them.)
Mrs. Bennett: For the time would soon come when hobbits would shape the fortunes of all.

(The screen blacks out).

 

Scene 4.

Screen fades in, and we a scene in the woods, where Frodo (Daria) is sitting under a tree, reading a book. The words "The Fellowship of the Ring" appear, then 'Lawndale... 60 years later.'
We hear a voice singing, and Daria looks up.

It’s Gandalf (Amy Barksdale): (singing) Down from the door where it began... Daria stands up, taking a pipe out of her mouth as she does so. She smiles her Mona Lisa smile, and runs off. We see the back of a cart, and of Amy in a witch-suit who is singing.

Amy: (Sings:) (she doesn’t remember the right words so here’s her version)
The Kraken grows on and on,
Away from the lair where it began,
Now far ahead the Kraken has gone,
And I must stop if I can.

Daria: You're late

Amy: A witch is never late, Daria. Nor is she early. She arrives precisely when she means to.
(They try to keep a straight face, but fail. They both laugh. Daria jumps onto her wagon).

Daria: It's wonderful to see you, Aunt Amy!

Amy: Just Amy, Daria. (laughs) You didn't think I'd miss your father Jake’s birthday? (laughs)

Daria: What news of the outside world? Tell me everything.

Amy: Everything? Curiosity is an unforgivable weakness in a hobbit... Well, what can I tell you? Strange things are happening. It’s scary. VERY scary.

Hobbit: (waves) Look! It's Amy!

Amy: Ooh - The long expected party. (Hobbits can be seen putting up a banner saying 'Happy Birthday Jake Morgendorffer')

Amy: So how is the old rascal? I hear it's going to be a party of special magnificence.

Daria: You know dad. He's got the whole place in an uproar.

Amy: Now, well, that should please him.

Daria: Half Lawndale's been invited!

Amy: Good gracious me! What a great habit!

Daria: He's up to something

Amy: Hmm... (mutters)

Daria: All right then, keep your secrets. Before you came along, we Morgendorffers were very well thought of.

Amy: Indeed.

Daria: Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected.

Amy: If you're referring to the incident with dragon, I was barely involved. I simply gave your father a nasty kick in the butt – er, a little nudge out of the door.

Daria: Whatever you did, you've been officially labelled a disturber of the peace.

Amy: (mutters) Oh, really? (A hobbit sees Amy, and looks rather displeased) (Hobbit children are seen running through the fields. Soon, they come to the road that the cart is on, and stand on one fork of it.)

Hobbit kids: Amy! Amy’s here!! Amy! Fireworks, Amy... Amy! Fireworks, Amy... (Amy takes the other fork).

Hobbit kids: Ohhhh...

Amy lets some fireworks out of the back of the wagon.
Hobbit children cheer & Amy laughs. Hobbit man laughs, but stops when he sees the look on his wife's face).

Daria: (Gets off the wagon) Amy - I'm glad you're back.

Amy: So am I, dear girl. (mutters to herself:) So am I.

(Daria runs off into the fields, Amy continues on to Bag End. Amy opens a gate, which reads 'No admittance except on party business.' Amy knocks on the door)

Jake: No, thank you! We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers, or distant relations!

Amy: And what about some not so distant relatives?

Jake: Amy?

Amy: Jake Morgendorffer. (Holds her hands out to him)

Jake: My dear Amy! (He walks towards Amy and embraces her)

Amy: Good to see you. One hundred and eleven years old. Who would believe it? (Looks at Jake) You haven't aged a day. (they both laugh)

Jake: Come on, come in! Welcome, welcome. (Shuts the door)

(Mutters) Oh, here we are.

(He takes Amy’s stick and hat).

Tea? Or maybe something a little stronger. I've got a few of bottles of the old Winyard left. 1296. Very good year. Almost as old as I am. Ha ha ha ha ha It was laid down by my father. What's say we open one, eh?

Amy: Just tea, thank you. (Amy hits her head on one of the lights. Then, as he's putting it straight, she hits her head on the ceiling). Ohh...

Jake: (mutters in the background:) I was expecting you sometime last week. Not that it matters. You come and go as you please. Always have done and always will. You caught me a bit unprepared, I'm afraid. We've only got some cold chicken and a bit of pickle... There's some cheese. Oh no, that won't do. We've got raspberry jam, an apple tart... But not much for afters. Oh, no, we're all right. I've just found some sponge cake.

(Amy looks at some maps on the table)

Jake: I can make you some eggs if you li-- A- Amy?

Amy: Just tea, thank you.

Jake: Oh, right. (Stuffs some cake in his mouth, and mumbles:) You don't mind if I eat, do you?

Amy: No, not at all.

Female Voice: (bangs on door) Jake! Jake Morgendorffer. (bangs on door more loudly)

Jake: I'm not at home! I've got to get away from these confounded relatives, hanging on the bell all day, never giving me a moment's peace. I want to see mountains again, mountains, Amy. And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book... Oh - tea!

Amy: So you mean to go through with your plan, then?

Jake: Yes, yes, it's all in hand. All the arrangements are made. (Jake gets the tea, and Amy takes the lid off for him).

Jake: Oh, thank you.

Amy: Daria suspects something.

Jake: 'Course he does. She's a Morgendorffer! Not some blockheaded Barksdale from New Hampshire...

Amy: (ignoring Jake’s last statement) You will tell her, won't you?

Jake: Yes, yes.

Amy: She's very fond of you.

Jake: I know. She'd probably come with me if I asked him. I think in her heart, Daria’s still in love with Lawndale. The woods, the fields. Little rivers. I'm old, Amy. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. This pain is filling me and leaking out, like butter which was placed too thick on a piece of bread. (Pauses, recognizes that that’s not how that line is run, tries again.) I'm old, Amy, even if I don't look old. But I begin to feel it with one of my parts. I feel pain, kind of. I feel the oily touch of this pain, which is scratching. (Recognizes that is still wrong, but doesn't have the heart to retry a third time.) I need a holiday. A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.

 

Scene 5.

The night of the party. Jake and Amy are sitting on the top of a hill together.

Jake: (Clearly flashing back to his hippie days) What can be better then getting stoned with your old friend? Good old Toby -  the last of merry old men.

(Jake blows a smoke ring, and Amy blows a ship that goes through it)

Jake: Amy, my old sister-in-law. This will be a night to remember.

 

Scene 6.

Fireworks go off, everyone cheers. Hobbits are dancing.

Jake: (Is talking to some guests)

Hello, hello. Superintendent Smith. Lovely to see you. Welcome, welcome!

Daria: Go on, Jane, ask Tom for a dance

Jane: I hate you, and I think I'll just have another ale instead.

Daria: Oh, no you don't! Go on! (Jane stands up for another ale, but Daria pushes her towards Tom. They dance).

(Jake is telling a group of young hobbit children a story)

Jake: So there I was, at the mercy of three monstrous military men. And they were all arguing amongst themselves about how they were going to cook us. Whether it is turned on a spit, or whether they should sit on us one by one, squash us, to jelly.

Hobbit girl: (gasps)

Jake: And they spent so much time arguing, the hitherto and the whyfors that the sun's first light crept over the top of the trees -poof-

Hobbit kids: (gasp)

Jake: And turned them all to stone!

 

Scene 7.

Amy takes out some fireworks from a wagon in a tent. As she leaves, Quinn and Stacy come out from behind the tent.

Stacy: (whispers) Quickly! (Quinn gives Stacy a leg up onto the wagon)

 

Scene 8.

Amy is letting off some butterfly fireworks for the young hobbit children

Amy: Oh! Up they go!

 

Scene 9.

Stacy takes out a cracker.

Quinn: No, no, the big one, big one. (Stacy takes out a dragon shaped one. They light it)

Stacy: Done (pushes the top end towards Quinn)

Quinn: You're supposed to stick it in the ground. (pushes it back to Stacy)

Stacy: It is in the ground (Pushes it back to Quinn, who pushes it back to Stacy)

Quinn: Outside... (They continue pushing the lit firework back and forth)

Stacy: This was your idea! (Cracker goes off, and Quinn and Stacy are both thrown to the ground. The cracker lets out fireworks, then turns into a fiery dragon. The hobbits scream and run away from it.)

Daria: Dad, watch out for the dragon

Jake: Dragon? Nonsense, there hasn't been a dragon in these parts for a thousand years! (The 'dragon' goes off in to the distance, and fills the sky with fireworks).

Hobbits: Oh! (They cheer)

Quinn: That was good!

Stacy: Let's get another one

Amy: (grabs them by the ears.) Quinn Morgendorffer and Stacy Rowe. I might've known.

Quinn and Stacy are seen washing up the dishes.

The hobbit crowd: Speech, Jake! Speech! (They cheer and clap)

Daria: Speech!

(Jake walks up to the front of the crowd)

Jake: My dear Tooks, Brendybucks and errr… [pause] errr… other respectable families. Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday! (Cheers from the crowd).

Hobbit in the crowd: Happy Birthday!

Jake: Alas. Eleventy one years is far too short a time to live amongst such excellent, and admirable hobbits. I don't like half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well  as you deserve. I er ... I have things to do. (Puts his hand into his pocket, and takes out a gold ring) (whispers) I've put this off for far too long. I regret to announce this is the end. I'm going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell. (whispers) Goodbye

(He vanishes, and the crowd gasps. He makes his way back to Bag End, still invisible, and takes off his ring once he has closed the door behind him. He appears, laughing. He flips the ring into the air, then catches it, putting it back into his coat pocket. Humming, he picks up his stick, and enters the living room, where the fireplace is already lit.)

Amy: I suppose you think that was terribly clever.

Jake: (Gasps, looking around him, and seeing Amy)

Come on Amy, did you see their faces!

Amy: There are many magic rings in this world, Jake Morgendorffer, and none of them should be used lightly!

Jake: It was just a bit of fun... Oh, you're probably right, as usual... You will keep an eye on Daria, won't you?

Amy: Of course – two lives, how can one separate them? (Realizes that she said something wrong, but doesn’t have time to correct that.)

Jake: I'm leaving everything to him.

Amy: What about this ring of yours, is that staying too?

Jake: Yes, yes. It's in the tenth envelope on the mantelpiece... No. It's on a little shelf for medals.  No, it’s in my pocket. Fate's caprice? Why not? Why is it here? Why's this Ring? Why did I keep it? (Takes ring out and finger it). Why - isn't that - isn't that odd, now. Yet after all that, why not. (whispers) Why shouldn't I keep it?

Amy: (clearly getting fed-up with Jake’s theatrics) I think you should leave the ring behind, Jake. Is that so hard?

Jake: Well no... And yes. Now it comes to it, I don't feel like parting with it. It's mine! I found it! It came to me!

Amy: There's no need to get angry.

Jake: Well if I'm angry, it's your fault! ... It's mine. My own. My precious. (eyes bulge)

Amy: Precious? It's been called that before, but not by you.

Jake: Oh, what business is it of yours what I do with my own things?!

Amy: I think you've had that ring quite long enough.

Jake: You want if for yourself!!

Amy: (finally had enough: Jake’s been more and more of a prima donna those last few lines)
JAKE MORGENDORFFER! DO NOT FORCE ME TO USE THE OLD CHEAP TRICKS! I AM NOT TRYING TO ROB YOU!!
(calms down). I'm trying to help you.
(places her hand on his shoulder). All your long years, we've been friends. Trust me, as you once did, hmm? Let it go.

Jake: You're right, Amy. The ring must go to Daria. (Prepares to leave) It's late, the road is long... Yes, it is time... (Walks out the door)

Amy: Jake. The ring is still in your pocket.

Jake: Oh - yes.

(Puts it on the palm of his hand, and turns his hand over, letting it drop. It does not bounce. Jake turns and walks out his door, and Amy follow him.)

Jake: I've thought up an ending for my book.

(He turns around to look at Amy)

"And he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days"

Amy: And I'm sure you will, my dear friend.

Jake: Goodbye Amy.

Amy: Goodbye, dear Jake

(They shake hands)

Helen: (off screen) Knock it off you two or else!

Jake: (quickly leaves) The road goes ever on and on, etc.

Amy: (Softly, to herself) Until our next meeting

(Amy walks back into the house. She leans over the ring, and reaches out the touch it, but sees a red eye. She leaves it on the floor. The scene cuts out, and we see her sitting by the fire, smoking).

Voice of Jake: It's mine. My own. My precious

Amy: Riddles in the dark...

Daria: (In the distance). Dad! (Opens door). Dad! (Leans over, and picks up the ring).

Amy: A precious... Precious...

Daria: He's gone, hasn't he?

Amy lets out a puff of smoke

Daria: (with joy and hope) Did he leave at last? He was talking about it for so long I lost all hope it would finally happen. Still can't believe it!
Amy turns around to face Daria

Daria shows Amy the ring in the palm of her hand

Amy: (smiles) Jake’s ring. He's gone to stay with the Elves. He's left you Bag End. (She holds out an envelope to Daria, who puts the ring into it. Amy seals the envelope with a red stamp).  Along with all his possessions. The ring is yours now.
(Any holds out the envelope to Daria, who takes it).
(whispers) But keep it somewhere out of sight.

(Amy prepares to leave).

Daria: Where are you going?

Amy: There are some things that I must see to.

Daria: What things?

Amy: Questions. Questions that need answering

Daria: You've only just arrived. I don't understand.

Amy: (stops and turns around) Neither do I.

(Leans over to face Daria). Keep it secret.

(Places his hand on Daria's shoulder).

Keep it safe.

(She leaves, and shuts the door)

Daria looks at the envelope in his hand).

 

Scene 10.

We see shots of Mt Doom, then Minas Morgul.

Voice: (Upchuck’s) Lawndale! Lawndale! Morgendorffer!

The Gates of Minas Morgul open, and the riders in black are seen riding out from them. Then the scene switches to Gandalf, who is riding up a slope and looking out onto Mount Doom. He then rides off to Minas Tirith, and enters a building full of old scrolls.

Amy: (reads) The year 3434, of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Isil - Mack, High King of Gondor, and the finding of the Ring of Power. (Images are seen of “Mack” taking the ring from the hand of “Mad Dog”).

It has come to me, the One Ring, which shall be an heirloom of my kingdom. All those who follow in my bloodline shall be bound to its fate, for I will risk no hurt to the Ring. It is precious to me, though I buy it with a great pain... The markings upon the band begin to fade. The writing which at first was as clear as red flame, has all but disappeared, a secret now that only fire can tell.

 

Scene 11.

Scene switches to a house in Lawndale. It is dark, and a man and his dog are standing outside the door, when a rider in black approaches. The dog starts barking, but backs into the house.

Rider: Lawndale. Morgendorffer

Hobbit: (merrily) Morgendorffers are not at home. They are on a big celebration in Hobbiton. It's right over there! (Rider leaves)

 

Scene 12.

Scene switches to Hobbiton, where Daria is at the Green Dragon Inn. Jane and Daria  leave, and pass by Tom Sloane, who waves as they pass-by.

Jane: Good night.

Tom: Good night.

(Daria and Jane leave, and walk back to Bag End.)

Daria: Good night, Jane.

Daria enters Bag End, while Jane continues on his way home. Upon entering Bag End, Daria finds the windows open, and her papers flying about the house. Suddenly, she feels a hand on his shoulder. She turns around, and sees Amy.

Amy: Is it secret? Is it safe?

Daria: (Searches in a box, where he finds the envelope he put the ring into) Ah.

Amy: (Grabs it from her and throws it into the fire.)

Daria: What are you doing?

Amy: (Takes it out from the fire with tongs, and holds it out to Daria). Hold out your hand, Daria. It's quite cool.

Daria: (Holds out his hand, as though expecting it to be hot. Amy drops the ring onto her palm.)

Amy: What can you see? Can you see anything?

Daria: (Examines the ring). Nothing. There's nothing.

Amy: (sighs in relief).

Daria: Wait... There are markings. It's some form of Elfish. I can't read it.

Amy: There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here.

Daria: Mordor?!

Amy: In the common tongue, it says "One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

(Amy sits at the table, smoking, while Daria makes tea)

Amy: This is the One Ring, forged by the Dark Lord, “Mad Dog” Sauron in the fires of  Mount Doom, taken by Isil – Mack from the hand of “Mad Dog” himself.

Daria: Dad found it. In Gollum's cave.

Amy: Yes. For 60 years the Ring lay quiet, in Jake’s keeping, prolonging his life, delaying old age. But no longer, Daria. Evil is stirring in Mordor. The Ring has awoken. It's heard its master's call.

Daria: But he was destroyed. “Mad Dog” was destroyed.

(Sounds come from the Ring, and Amy and Daria look at it, as though afraid of it.)

Amy: (whispers) No, Daria. His life-force is stored in the Ring, and the Ring has come to life. “Mad Dog” was resurrected. Now he possesses not one life but many. His assistant Baridor rebuilt his kingdom. He needs only this Ring to cover all the lands in a second darkness. He is seeking it. Seeking it, all his thought is bent on it. The ring yearns above all else to return to the hand of its master. (whispers) They are one. The ring, and the Dark Lord. Daria. He must never find it.

Daria: (Takes the envelope containing the ring, and walks into the next room, as though seeking for a place to hide it). All right. We put it away. We keep it hidden. We never speak of it again. No one knows it's here, do they? Do they, Amy? (Turns around to face Amy)

Amy: There is one other that knew that Jake had the Ring. I looked everywhere for the creature Gollum. But the enemy found him first. (We see shots of Gollum - Upchuck being tortured.) I don't know how long they tortured him for. But amidst the endless screams and inane babble, they discerned two words.

Upchuck: LAWNDALE! MORGENDORFFER!

Daria: Lawndale! Morgendorffer?! But that would lead them here!

 

Scene 13.

Scene switches, and the riders in black are seen. A hobbit holds out a lantern.

Hobbit: Who goes there?

One of the riders swings a sword at his head.

 

Scene 14.

Daria: Take it Amy! Take it! (Frodo holds out the ring to Amy).

Amy: No Daria

Daria: You must take it!

Amy: You cannot offer me this Ring.

Daria: I'm giving it to you!

Amy: DON'T ... tempt me, Daria!

Daria: (Daria lowers his hand).

Amy: I dare not take it. (whispers) Not even to keep it safe. Understand, Daria, I would use this Ring from a desire to do good. But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine.

Daria: But it cannot stay in Lawndale!

Amy: NO - no it can't.

Daria: (Closes his hand over the Ring) What must I do?

(We hear a cupboard door creaking, and we see Daria packing to leave.)

Amy: You must leave. And leave quickly.

Daria: Where? Where do I go?

Amy: Get out of Lawndale. Make for the village of Bree.

Daria: Bree... What about you?

Amy: I'll be waiting for you, at the inn of the Prancing Pony.

Daria: And the Ring will be safe there?

Amy: I don't know, Daria. I don't have any answers. I must see the head of my order – another one of my sisters. She is both wise, and powerful. (Pauses, thinks a bit) Well, powerful at any rate, and certainly smarter than an average hobbit. Trust me, Daria. She'll know what to do, or at least will give me an example of what not to. You'll have to leave the name of Morgendorffer behind you, for that name is not safe outside Lawndale. Travel only by day, and stay off the road.

Daria: I can cut across country easily enough.

Amy: My dear Daria. Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years, they can still surprise you.

(A clicking noise is heard. The camera view moves to the window)

Amy: Get down. (She takes his staff, slowly moving towards the window, then points her staff out of the window, and hits something. Then she sticks her hands out of the window and grabs something. It turns out to be a hobbit. She drops him onto the table.) Confound it all, Jane Lane! Have you been eavesdropping?

Jane: I haven't been dropping no eaves, ma’am. Honest. I was just cutting the grass under the window there, if you follow me. (looks innocent)

Amy: (sarcastically) A little late for trimming the verge, don't you think?

Jane: I heard raised voices...

Amy: What did you hear? SPEAK!

Jane: N-n-n-nothing important. That is I heard a good deal about a Ring, Dark Lord, and something about the end of the world, but, please Miss Amy, ma’am, please don't 'hurt me. Don't do anything unnatural to me... (Pauses, realizes her slip of tongue)

Amy: No... Perhaps not... (whispers) I've thought of a better use for you

 

Scene 14.

The next day, at dawn, Amy is seen leading her horse into the woods, with Daria and Jane following him.

Amy: Come along, Jane, keep up. Be careful, both of you. The enemy has many spies in his service: Birds, beasts... (to Daria:) Is it safe?

Daria: Puts her hand over her coat pocket.

Amy: Never put it on. For the agents of the Dark Lord will be drawn to its power. Always remember, Daria. The Ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found. (Amy rides off into the woods, birds are heard screeching).

Jane and Daria set off. We see several shots of them traveling across the countryside. After some time, they come to a field, with knee-high crops. Jane stops.

Jane: This is it.

Daria: This is what?

Jane: If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.

Daria: (Walks back towards Jane) Come on, Jane. All of your siblings have gone much further than that.

Jane: (Takes step) Sure, rub it in.

Daria: (Puts his hand onto Jane’s shoulder) Remember what Dad used to say? (They continue walking) "It's a dangerous business... (Voice changes to Jake’s)

Jake: (seems to be heartfelt): If you aren't steady on your legs, something can knock you off and drag away …

 

Scene 15. 

Scene switches to Amy. She rides off to Isengard, to find Rita, the head of her order. We see shots of her on the way to Isengard.

Rita: Smoke rises from the mountain of Doom, and the hour grows late, and Amy the Grey Barksdale rides to Isengard, seeking my counsel. For that is why you have come, is it not? My kid sister

Amy: Rita. (nods)

 

Scene 16. 

Amy and Rita are talking as they walk in the garden.

Rita: You are sure of this?

Amy: Beyond any doubt.

Rita: So the Ring of Power has been found.

Amy: All these long years, it was in Lawndale, under my very nose.

Rita: Then tell me sis, who and when had smashed your brains out? (Realizes that’s not correct) Your love of trees has clearly slowed your mind.

Amy: (glares) But we still have time. Time enough to counter “Mad Dog” if we act quickly.

Rita: Time? What time do you think we have?

 

Scene 17.

The scene moves to Rita’s room.

Rita: “Mad Dog” has regained much of his former strength. He cannot yet take physical form, but his spirit has lost none of its potency. Concealed within his fortress, the Lord of Mordor sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth and flesh. You know of what I speak, Amy. A Great Eye, lidless, wreathed in flame.

Amy: (Whispers) The Eye of Sauron.

Rita: He is gathering all evil to him. Very soon he will summon an army great enough to launch an assault upon Middle Earth.

Amy: You know all this? How?

Rita: I have seen it.

 

Scene 18.  Amy and Rita are walking into the hall.

Amy: A palantir is a dangerous tool, Rita. (walking towards the palantir).

Rita: Why? Why should we fear to use it? (Takes cover off palantir)

Amy: They are not all accounted for, the lost Seeing-stones. We do not know who else may be watching. (Puts the cover back onto the palantir)

Rita: The hour is later than you think. “Mad Dog’s” forces are already moving. The nine have left Minas Morgul.

Amy: (whispers)The Nine?

Rita: They crossed the river Isen on Midsummer's Eve, disguised as riders in black.

Amy: They've reached Lawndale?

Rita: They will find the ring, and kill the one who carries it.

Amy: (whispers)Daria! Daria! (Makes for a door, but as she approaches it, it is closed. He makes for the other 3 doors, but each close as she heads for them). Sis, that’s not funny!

Amy: You do not seriously think that a Hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron? There are none who can. Against the power of Mordor, there can be no victory. We must join with him, Amy. We must join with Sauron. It would be wise, my sister.

Amy: Tell me, sis. When did you abandon reason for madness? That’s too dumb even for you!

Rita pins Amy against the wall about the door, then lets him drop. They use their staffs to fight, but Rita manages to take Amy’s staff from her.

Rita: (Pointing both staffs at Amy.) I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected a way of pain!

(She uses her staff to throw her to the top of the tower of Isengard.)

 

Scene 19. 

The scene shifts back to Daria and Jane. We see Jane, who is now walking along a path. On either side of her are crops considerably taller than herself. She looks around her, and cannot see Daria.

Jane: Daria? Daria! DARIA! (Daria comes into sight, and Jane sighs in relief.) I thought I'd lost you.

Daria: What are you talking about?

Jane: It's just something Amy said.

Daria: What did she say?

Jane: "Don't you lose her, Jane Lane." And I don't mean to.

Daria: Jane, we're still in Lawndale. What could possibly happen?

Just then, Quinn and Stacy come out from the bushes, and fall onto Daria and Jane.

Stacy: Daria! Quinn - It's your cousin Daria!

Quinn: Hello, Daria.

Jane: (heaves Stacy off Daria). Get off her! Come on, Daria.

Daria: What's the meaning of this?

Quinn: (To Jane) Hold these.

Jane: You've been into Ms. Barch’s crop!

Ms. Barch: (Barking noises are heard) Get the **** out of my field, you half-sized ****! Just let me get you, I'll tear your ears off!

Jane: (Stands holding the cabbages and carrots) Oooh. (Drops them on the ground and follows the others into the cover of Ms Barch’s crop.)

Quinn: I don't know why she's so upset. It's only a couple of carrots

Stacy: And some cabbages. And then those three bags of potatoes we lifted last week, and, and, the mushrooms, the week before!

Quinn: Yes, Stacy, my point is, she's clearly overreacting! Run!

They run, but come to the edge of a steep slope. Stacy, Quinn, and Jane try to keep their balance, and almost manage, but then Jane hits into the back of Daria, causing them all to fall down the slope.

Stacy: (Falls near a pile of animal manure.) Oh. That was close.

Quinn: Ahhh. Ohhh. I think I've broken something. (Pulls out a broken carrot from underneath her)

Jane: Trust a Morgendorffer from the incorrect side of Lawndale and a Rowe.

Quinn: What? It was just a detour. A shortcut.

Jane: A shortcut to what?

Stacy: (Spots something on the ground) Mushrooms!!

Jane, Stacy, and Quinn and whispering, as they put some mushrooms into a bag.

Quinn: Take that one...

Stacy: That's mine... Mmmm... That's nice, Quinn. Here's a nice one, Jane.

Daria: I think we should get off the road.

The sound of a horse neighing is heard, and the leaves rustle on the ground.

Daria: Get off the road! QUICK!

(The hobbits hurry off the road, and find a hiding place under the roots of a tree. Quinn and Stacy fight over the bag of mushrooms.)

Jane: (Whispers) Be quiet!

(A rider in black comes dismounts, and comes towards their hiding place. Daria closes her eyes, and takes out the Ring, and as she does so, the rider turns its’ face towards her. Daria holds the Ring near to her finger, preparing to put it on, but Jane notices, and taps her on the shoulder. Daria opens her eyes, and puts the Ring away, and as she does, the Rider looks away. Quinn throws the bag of mushrooms off into the distance, and the rider moves towards it. The Hobbits leave their hiding place and run.)

Quinn: What was that?

(Daria does not answer, but takes out the Ring, holding it in the palm of her hand.)

(The Hobbits are shown running through the woods in the dark. At least one rider is nearby.)

Quinn: Anything?

Daria: Nothing!

Stacy: What is going on?

Quinn: That Black Rider was looking for something. Or someone... Daria?

Daria: (Turns around to face Quinn)

Stacy: Get down!

The Hobbits get down, and a Rider is seen nearby.

Daria: I have to leave Lawndale. Jane and I must get to Lawrence.

Quinn: Right... the ferry. Follow me.

They follow Quinn, but a black rider sees and chases them.

Jane: Run! Daria, this way! Follow me! Daria! Hurry! Run! Daria!

They run, and come to the river. Jane, Quinn and Stacy are there, but Daria is still being chased by a black rider.

Quinn: Get the rope, Jane!

Jane: Daria!

The Hobbits: Run, Daria! Go! Hurry! Come on! Faster! Jump!

The others have untied the boat, and it is drifting off. Daria runs, and manages to jump onto the boat. The rider stops at the river bank, and turns around.

Daria: How far to the nearest crossing?

Quinn: The bridge. 20 miles.

The rider is seen riding off, and is joined by at two other Riders in black.

 

Scene 20.

The Hobbits are seen approaching the gate into Bree.

Daria: Come on.

They knock on the gate. The gatekeeper opens a shutter, but it is too high up to see the hobbits, and opens a lower one.

Gatekeeper: What do you want?

Daria: We're heading for the Prancing Pony.

Gatekeeper:

(Opens gate). Hobbits. Four hobbits! What business brings you to Bree?

Daria: We wish to stay at the inn. Our business is our own.

Gatekeeper: Alright, young lady, I meant no offence. It's my job to ask questions after nightfall. There's talk of strange folk abroad. Can't be too careful.

(The gatekeeper lets them in. Lawrence is full of men, or 'big folk', as the hobbits call them, and it is a rough area. One of the hobbits bumps into one of the men.)

Man: Out of the way! Watch where you're walking.

(Eventually, they find the inn of the 'Prancing Pony', and enter it.)

Daria: (walks up to the counter)Excuse me.

Innkeeper: Good evening, little mistresses. If you're seeking accommodation, we've got some nice cozy, Hobbit-sized rooms available... Miss... er...

Daria: Barksdale. My name's Barksdale.

Innkeeper: Barksdale, yes...

Daria: We're friends and relatives of Amy the Grey Barksdale. Can you tell her we've arrived?

Innkeeper: Amy? Amy... Oh.... yes! I remember. Youngish lady in a pointy hat.

Daria: (Smiles and nods)

Innkeeper: Not seen her for 6 months.

Daria: (turns around to face Jane, Quinn, and Stacy)

Jane: What do we do now?

The scene skips to the hobbits sitting at a table

Daria: Jane - she'll be here. She'll come.

Quinn: (Makes her way to the table, with a large mug of drink, but bumps into a man.)

Man: Get out of my way!

Stacy: What's that?

Quinn: This, girl-friend, is a pint.

Stacy: It comes in pints? I'm getting one. (walks off)

Jane: You've got a whole half already!! (To Daria). That fellow's done nothing but stare at you since we arrived.

Daria: (To innkeeper, as he walks past) Excuse me. That man in the corner. Who is he?

Innkeeper: (Looks at the man, who’s Mack without the make-up) He's one of them Rangers. Dangerous folk, they are, wandering in the Wilds. What his right name is, I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Mack Daddy. (He walks off)

Daria: Mack Daddy...

Daria fingers her ring.

Voice of the Ring: Morgendorffer. Morgendorffer. Morgendorffer... Morgendorffer...

Stacy: Morgendorffer? Sure I know a Morgendorffer. She's over there (Stacy is talking to some men, and points to Daria). Daria Morgendorffer. She's Quinn’s second cousin once removed on her mother's side and Quinn’s third cousin, twice removed... (The voices of the other people in the room drown out her voice)

Daria: (Anxiously makes her way towards Stacy to stop him) Stacy! (She grabs her, causing Stacy to spill some of her drink)

Stacy: Steady on Daria!

Daria: (Trips on the foot of one of the men, falling backwards. As she hits the ground, her ring flies upward, and it falls back down onto her finger, causing her to disappear).

The black riders are seen coming closer to the inn: they are drawn to its power. Daria  sees the world in darkness when she puts on the ring. There are many shadows, and he hears a voice.

Voice: You cannot hide. I see you. There is no life in the void. Only death.

(Daria sees a great red eye, and pulls the ring off her finger. Just as she is recovering, she finds a hand on her shoulder. Mack pulls her up the stairs into her room.)

Mack: You draw far too much attention to yourself, Miss Barksdale.

Daria: What do you want?

Mack: A little more caution from you, that is no trinket you carry.

Daria: I carry nothing.

Mack: Indeed. I can avoid being seen if I wish. But to disappear entirely. That is a rare gift. (he pinches the candles in the room to put them out, and takes off his hood)

Daria: Who are you?

Mack: Are you frightened?

Daria: Yes.

Mack: Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.

The door is opened, and Mack draws his sword. Quinn, Stacy, and Jane are seen standing in the doorway. Jane has her fists held forward.

Jane: Let her go, or will kill you!

Mack: (sarcastically) I’m sure you will, I don't doubt you.

(Exchange looks, realize they said wrong words, and try again)

Jane: Are you crazy?

Mack: You have a good heart.

(others look at them, and Jane and Mack try again.)

Jane: You’re a dead man!

Mack: Screw you, shorty. (Realizes that this can continue to an eternity, puts his sword away)
This will not save you. You can no longer wait for the witch, Daria. They're coming.

 

Scene 21. 

The scene switches to the Black riders. The gatekeeper hears them coming to the gate, and walks towards it. The Black riders knock down the gate, and enter Lawrence.

Scene 22.

The scene switches back to the hobbits, who are sleeping. Then we see the Black riders approach, and enter the hobbit rooms. There is a rider standing over each bed, and in unison, they thrust their swords into them. They do this several times, but when they take the blankets off, they find that there was no one sleeping in the beds. They turn over the beds, and ride off.

The scene switches back to Mack, who is sitting by the window with the hobbits, who have awoken.

Daria: What are they?

Mack: They were once Men. Great kings of Men. Then “Mad Dog” the Deceiver gave to them 9 rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one, falling to darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgul. Ringwraiths. Neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring. Drawn to the Power of the One. They will never stop hunting you.

Scene 23.

The next day, Mack Daddy is seen leading a pony into the countryside, with the Hobbits following him.

Daria: Where are you taking us?

Mack: Into the Wild.

Quinn: How do we know this Mack Daddy is a friend of Amy?

Daria: We have no choice but to trust him.

Jane: But where is he leading us?

Mack: To Rivendell, Mistress Lane, to the House of Landon.

Jane: Did you hear that? Rivendell. We're going to see the Elves.

They walk on for some time. At one point, Mack hears the Hobbits whispering behind him, and realizes that they have stopped.

Mack: (turns around) Ladies. We do not stop 'till nightfall.

Stacy: What about breakfast?

Mack: You've already had it.

Stacy: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?

Mack turns around, and continues on.

Quinn: Don't think he knows about second breakfast, Stace.

Stacy: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

Quinn: I wouldn't count on it.

Mack throws an apple back, and Quinn catches it. She hands it to Stacy, pats her on the back. Then Mack throws another apple, which hits Stacy on the head. Stacy looks up, and around her, bewildered.

Quinn: Stacy...

 

Scene 23.

In Isengard: Rita is using the Palantir.

Rita: The power of Isengard is at your command, “Mad Dog”, Lord of the Earth.

Voice of “Mad Dog”: Build me an army worthy of Mordor.

 

Scene 24.
The scene switches to a room in Rita’s tower.

Orc 1: What orders from Mordor, my lady?

Orc 2: What does the Eye command?

Rita: We have work to do.

The orcs outside Isengard are uprooting all the trees.
We see Amy on top of the tower of Isengard.
Then we see the orcs working down below, pulling down the trees.

Orc: The trees are strong, my lady. Their roots go deep.

Rita: Rip them all down.

Once again, we see Amy at the top of the tower of Isengard.
It is raining, and there is no shelter.

Amy mutters something under her breath, something really nasty in Rita’s address…

 

Scene 25

The scene goes back to Mack and the hobbits.

Mack: This was the great watchtower of Amon Sul. We shall rest here tonight.

(The hobbits settle down in a corner. Mack takes out four short swords, and passes one to each hobbit)

Mack: These are for you. Keep them close. I'm going to have a look around. Stay here.

(Some time later, when it is dark, Daria wakes up suddenly. Quinn, Stacy, and Jane are cooking something around a fire)

Quinn: My tomato's burst.

Stacy: Could I have some bacon?

Quinn: Ok. Want a tomatoes, Jane?

Daria: (Gets up, and walks over to his friends)

(In an urgent voice) What are you doing?!

Quinn: Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon.

Jane: We saved some for you, Daria.

Daria: (Stamps onto the fire, putting it out with his bare feet).

Put it out, you fools! Put it out!

Stacy: Oh, that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes...

The cry of the Nazgul is heard. The hobbits draw their swords, and see the Nazgul encircling Amon Sul

Daria: (Gesturing for the others to go up to the top of the watchtower) Go!!!

(The Nazgul follow the hobbits to the top, and face them.)

Jane: Back you devils!!!

The Riders draw their swords, and swipe Quinn, Stacy, and Jane out the way. Daria falls backwards. The riders stand over her with their swords, and Daria puts on the ring. She sees the faces of the riders in bright light. The Witch-King steps forward, and speaks to Daria in the Black Language. Unimpressed, Daria pulls her hand (with the Ring on it), away from the Witch-King, who then stabs Daria in the shoulder.

Daria: Ahhhh

Mack: Ahhhh!

(Mack appears behind the Witch-King, with a torch in one hand, and a sword in the other. He takes on the Nazgul Daria takes the ring off).

Jane: Daria! (He runs over to Daria).

Daria: Oh, Jane.

(Mack manages to set the Nazgul alight, and they flee from the watchtower. We see Jane, Quinn, and Stacy crowded around Daria.)

Jane: Mack! Help her Mack!

Mack: She has been stabbed by a Morgul blade. This is beyond my skill to heal. She needs Elfish medicine. (He picks Daria up over his shoulder, and they head off into the night.) Hurry!

Jane: We're 6 days from Rivendell! She'll never make it!

Mack: Hold on, Daria

Daria: Aunt Amy!!!

 

Scene 26.

We see shots of the caverns of Isengard. A moth flies up to the tower of Isengard, where Amy is imprisoned. Amy catches the moth in his hand, and begins to speak to it in Elfish.

Amy: (something in elfish to moth) … Fetch the Tank, fetch the Tank... Go...

(We see Orcs cutting down trees near Isengard, then more footage in the caverns of Isengard. Rita watches, as an Uruk-Hai comes out from mud.)

 

Scene 27.

Mack and the Hobbits have stopped walking.

Jane: Daria? She's going cold!

Stacy: Is she going to die?

Mack: She's passing into the Shadow World. She'll soon become a Wraith like them.

Quinn: (Hears the Riders) They're close!

Mack: Jane, do you know the Athelis plant?

Jane: Athelis?

Aragorn: Cannabis.

Jane: Cannabis, aye, it's a weed.

Mack: It may help to slow the poisoning. Hurry! (He gives Jane a torch, and then goes off to look for the weed. He finds some, and takes out a knife to cut it, but finds a blade at his throat.)

Jodie: What’s the matter, Mack Daddy is sulking?

Jodie: Daria... I'm Jodie. I've have come to help you. Hear my voice. Come back to the light.

Quinn: Who is this chick?

Jodie: Daria

Jane: She's an elf.

Jodie: She's fading. She's not going to last. We must get her to my father. I've been looking for you for 2 days.

Jane: Where are you taking her?!

Jodie: There are 5 Wraiths behind you. Where the other four are I do not know.

Mack: Stay with the Hobbits. I will send horses for you

Jodie: I'm the faster rider. I'll take him.

Mack: The road is too dangerous

Stacy: What are they saying?

Jodie: Daria is dying. If I can get across the river, the power of my people will protect him. I do not fear them.

Mack: Jodie,  ride hard. Don't look back!

Jodie:  Ride on, Asfaloth, ride fast

(Jodie rides off with Daria)

Jane: What are you doing! Those Wraiths are still out there!!

 

Scene 28.

Jodie (chased by 8 riders, one reaches out for Daria. After some time, she reaches the river. The Nazgul stop on the other side of it.)

A Nazgul: Give up the Halfling, She-Elf!

Jodie: If you want her, come and claim her.
(The Nazgul raise their swords and begin to cross river)

Waters of the Misty Mountains listen to the great word: flow waters of Loudwater against the Ringwraiths!

The water rises from the river, drowning the riders. Daria becomes fainter, and makes strange noises

Jodie: No! No! Daria, no! Daria, don't give in! Not now! (whispers) What grace is given me, let it pass to her. Let her be spared. Save her.

 

Scene 29.

Andrew Landon: (Standing over Daria)

Hear my voice, come back to the light.

 

Scene 30.

Daria: Where am I?

Amy: Welcome to the Centre of Andrew (sic), and it is 10 o'clock in the morning, on October the 24th if you want to know

Daria: Aunt Amy! (Looks away from her aunt towards Ms. Li and back stage, mouths: get me out of here.)

Amy: Yes, I'm here. And its just Amy, and you're lucky to be here too. A few more hours, and you would have been beyond our aid. But you had some strength in you, my dear hobbit.

Daria: What happened, Amy? Why didn't you meet us?

Amy: (wryly) Oh, I'm sorry Daria. I was delayed.

(FLASHBACK:)

Rita: A friendship with me is not lightly thrown aside. One ill turn deserves another. It is over. Embrace the power of the Ring, or embrace your own destruction!

Amy: There is only one Lord of the Ring. Only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power. (Jumps off tower onto the eagle, (which is really a glider-like construction.)

Rita: So you have chosen death.

We see that the eagle/glider takes Amy far, across mountains. She yells her brains out.

(END OF FLASHBACK:)

Daria: Amy? What is it?

Amy: Nothing, Daria.

Jane: Daria! Daria!

Daria: Jane!

Jane: Bless you, you're awake!

Amy: Jane has hardly left your side.

Jane: We were that worried about you, weren't we, Amy!

Amy: By the skills of Lord Andrew, you're beginning to mend.

Andrew: Welcome to Rivendell, Daria Morgendorffer.

 

Scene 31.

(Daria walks around Rivendell with Jane, and meets Quinn and Stacy. She embraces them. Then Daria sees Jake, who is reading a book.)

Daria: Dad!

Jake: Hello, Daria!

Daria: Jake! (Reads:) There and back again, A hobbit's tale, by Jake Morgendorffer. This is wonderful.

Jake: I meant to go back, to feel the force of Meggats. (Pauses, realizes that he had said something wrong, but doesn’t know what, so ignores it.) Visit Lake-town. See the Lonely Mountain again. But age, it seems has finally caught up with me.

Daria: (Flips through the book, and comes to a map of Lawndale.) I miss Lawndale. I spent all my childhood pretending I was off somewhere else. Off with you on one of your adventures. But my own adventure turned out to be quite different. I'm not like you, dad.

Jake: My dear girl.

 

Scene 32.

Jane: (To herself) Now, what have I forgotten?

Daria: Packed already?

Jane: We have already packed.

Daria: I thought you wanted to see old Jane...

(They pause, as they realize they forgotten the lines)

Jane: We have already packed.

Daria: I thought you wanted to see Tom Sloane…

Jane: (absent-mindedly) I do.

Daria: More than anything

Jane: I did… It's just… We did what your aunt wanted, didn't we? We got the Ring this far to Rivendell. And I thought, seeing as how you're on the mend, we'd be off soon. Off home.

Daria: You're right, Jane. We did what we set out to do.
The Ring will be safe in Rivendell. I am ready to go home.

 

Scene 33.

Andrew: Her strength returns

Amy: That wound will never fully heal. She will carry it the rest of her life.

Andrew: And yet, to have come so far, still bearing the Ring, the Hobbit has showed extraordinary resilience to its evil.

Amy: It is a burden she should never have had to bear. We can ask no more of Daria.

Andrew: Amy, the enemy is moving. “Mad Dog’s” forces are massing in the East. His eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Rita, you tell me, has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin.

Amy: Her treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft Rita has crossed Orcs with Goblin-men. She's breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. An army which can move in sunlight, and cover great distance at speed.  Rita is coming for the Ring.

Andrew: This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard!

(Amy wanders off, to the balcony.)

Amy. The Ring cannot stay here. (music plays) (Sandi Griffin arrives, then Tiffany and other Elves, then Archie and other Dwarves.)

Andrew: This peril belongs to all Middle-earth. They must decide now how to end it. The time of the Elves is over. My people are leaving these shores. Who will you look to when we've gone? The Dwarves? They hide in their mountains seeking riches. They care nothing for the troubles of others.

Amy: It is in Men that we must place our hope.

Andrew: Men are weak. They are becoming extinct, and where is the pride, honour and dignity of Men? Gone. It is because of Men the Ring survives. I was there, Amy. I was there three thousand years ago...

(We see a flashback shot, where Isil - Mack cuts the Ring from “Mad Dog’s” hand)

Andrew: ...And Isildur took the Ring. I was there the day the strength of men failed.

(FLASHBACK)

Andrew: Isildur! Hurry. Follow me.

Andrew: (Voice over) I led Isildur into the heart of Mount Doom. Where the Ring was forged. The one place it could be destroyed.

Andrew: Cast it into the fire. Destroy it!!!

Isil - Mack: No (Turns and leaves.)

Andrew: Isildur!!!!!!

(END OF FLASHBACK)

Andrew: It should have ended that day, but evil was allowed to endure. Isildur kept the Ring. The line of kings is broken. There's no strength left in the world of Men. They're scattered, divided, and leaderless.

Amy: But because of Men the Ring is still alive! There is one who could unite them. One who could reclaim the throne of Gondor.

Andrew: He was resurrected from the past long time ago, but was sentenced to exile.

 

Scene 34.

Sandi Griffin: The shards of Narsil. The blade that cut the Ring from “Mad Dog’s” hand. (She fingers the blade, and cuts her finger). It's, like, still sharp.  (Sees Mack watching her.) But still no more than, like, a broken heirloom.

(Sandi puts the sword back in its place and walks off, but as she does so, the sword falls. She turns as it clashes on the floor, but does not pick it up. Mack picks up sword, and puts it back in its place. He stands in front of the sword for a while.)

Jodie: Why do you fear the past? You are a senator to their, not a senator himself.

Mack: Why can’t nobody pronounce his name correctly anyways?.. Keep in mind, that the same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness.

Jodie: Your time will come. You will face the same evil and you will defeat it. The Shadow does not hold sway yet. Not over you, not over me.

Scene 35.

(Mack and Jodie stand talking, on a bridge in the grounds of Rivendell.)

Jodie: Do you remember when we first met?

Mack: I thought I had strayed into a dream.

Jodie: Long years have passed. You did not have the cares you carry now. Do you remember what I told you?

Mack: You said that you will bring yourself for the sake of immortality of your people. (pauses, realising that he said the line incorrectly and tries again.) You said you’ll give your advantages to me.

Jodie: (takes over before Mack embarrasses himself further, but doesn’t do so good herself) Until that I’m old... (but doesn’t realize her mis-pronouncing) I would rather share one lifetime with you, than face all the Ages of this world alone. (She gives him her necklace, the evenstar jewel, a symbol of her immortality) I choose a mortal life.

Mack: You cannot give me this.

Jodie: It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart.

(They kiss.)

 

Scene 36.

The scene switches to a part of Rivendell, where Dwarves, Elves, and Men are sitting in a semicircle.

Andrew: Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-earth stands upon the brink of destruction.

None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Daria.

Daria: (Places the ring onto the table)

Sandi: So it is true.

Unknown: The doom of man.

Sandi: It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor.

(Stands up.)

Why not use this Ring? Long has my mother, the Stewardess of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at bay by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!

Mack: You cannot wield it. None of us can. The One Ring answers to “Mad Dog” alone. It has no other master.

Sandi: And what would a Ranger know of this matter?

Tiffany: (slowly but steadily) This is no mere Ranger. He is Mack, son of... whoever. You owe him your allegiance.

Sandi: Mack? This is Isil – Mack’s heir?

Tiffany: And heir to the throne of Gondor.

Mack: (hurriedly) Sit down, Tiffany.

Sandi: Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king. We, like, have a regency.

Amy: Mack is right. We cannot use it.

Andrew: You have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed.

Archie: What are we waiting for?! (tries to smash ring with axe, but his axe breaks, and he is thrown backwards onto the ground.)

Andrew: The Ring cannot be destroyed, Archie, son of Arthur, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor, and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came.

(We hear the voice of the Ring, speaking in the Black Language)

Andrew: One of you must do this.

Sandi: One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever-watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air that you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.

Tiffany: Have you heard nothing Lord Andrew has said? The Ring must be destroyed!

Archie: And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?!

Sandi: And if we fail, what then? What happens when “Mad Dog” takes back what is his?

Archie: I will rather die than see the Ring in the hands of Elves...

(All the Elves stand up, then the Dwarves, and then everyone except Daria).

Archie: Never trust an Elf!

Amy: Do you not understand? While you bicker amongst yourselves, “Mad Dog’s” power grows! None can escape it! You'll all be destroyed! (Daria hears the voice of the Ring, speaking in the Black language.): One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Daria: I will take it! I will take it!

(Everyone else stops and listens to him)

I will take the ring to Mordor... Though - though I do not know the way.

Amy: Daria Morgendorffer, if you decide to claim the Ring, I will help you to find the way. (realizes she made a mistake and corrects it) I will help you bear this burden, Daria Morgendorffer. As long as it is yours to bear.

(Goes to stand next to Frodo, putting his hand on his shoulder.)

Mack: If by my life or death, if I can protect you, I will.

(Gets up from his seat, and kneels beside Daria.)

You have my sword.
(Amy winks at Andrew.)

Tiffany: And you have my bow.

(Also stands beside Daria.)

Archie: And my axe.

(Stands beside Tiffany.)

Sandi: (Walks slowly towards Daria.) You carry the fates of us all, shorty.

Mack: (Places his hand on Daria’s shoulder.)

Sandi: If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done.

Jane: Here! (Jumps up from behind some bushes she has been hiding behind, and runs up from behind them, causing Mack to lift his hand off Daria’s shoulder, to let Jane come through.) Daria’s not going anywhere without me.

Andrew: No, indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you from him, even when he is summoned to a secret Council, and you are not.

(The camera moves to Quinn and Stacy, who are standing in the entrance.)

Quinn: Oy! We're coming too!

(Quinn and Stacy leave the door, and half run towards Daria.)

You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us.

Stacy: Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission. Quest. Thing.

Quinn: Well that rules you out, Stace.

Andrew: Nine companions. So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring.

Stace: Great. Where are we going?

 

Scene 37.

 (We see shots near the entrance of Rivendell, where Bill the pony is standing ready, next to a few others. Then we see Jake and Daria together in a room. Jake takes out a sword from its cloth wrappings.)

Jake: My old sword, Sting. Here, take it. Take it.

Daria: It's so light.

Jake: It was forged by Elves… Not far from cannibals. Its blade changes its colour to blue. And at moments like that you have to be extra careful. Here's a pretty thing. Mithril. As light as a feather, and as hard as dragons scales. Let me see you put it on. Come on...

Daria: (Eagerly begins to unbutton her shirt)

Jake: (Sees the Ring hanging from a chain on Daria’s neck).

Oh - M-my old ring. Oh! I sh-should very much like - to hold it again, one last time.

Daria: (Begins to button up his shirt again)

Jake: (Transformed by the ring, makes a grab towards Frodo, his eyes bulging out)

Daria: (Alarmed, backs away)

Jake: (Now normal again, backs away, and sinks into a chair, with his back to us. He sits, there, weeping.) I'm sorry I brought this upon you, my girl... I'm sorry that you must carry this burden... I'm sorry for everything!

Daria places his hand reassuringly onto Jake’s shoulder, and Jake, in a sudden movement, places his hand onto Daria’s.

 

Scene 38.

The Fellowship departs from Rivendell. The next scene shows the Fellowship traveling together.

Voice of Amy: We must hold to this course, west from the Misty Mountains for 40 days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there our road turns east to Mordor.

 

Scene 39.

The Fellowship has stopped, and Sandi is teaching Quinn and Stacy how to sword fight.

Sandi: Two, one, five. Good! Very good.

Mack: (While smoking) Move your feet.

Quinn: You look good, Stacy.

Stacy: Thanks.

Sandi: Faster.

Archie: If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they're not, I'd say we were taking the long way round. Gandalf! We could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin would give us a royal welcome.

Amy: No, Archie. I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice.

(Tiffany notices something in the distance. Sandi is now fighting with Stacy. She hits her).

Stacy: Ahhh.

Sandi: Sorry.

Stacy: Get him!

Quinn: Arr, ow... For Lawndale!

Stacy: Hold him. Hold him down, Quinn!

Quinn: You've got my arm! You've got my arm!

Jane: What is that?

Archie: Nothing. It's just a wisp of cloud.

Sandi: It's moving fast. And, like, against the wind.

Tiffany: Crebain from Duneland

Mack: HIDE!

Sandi: Quinn!

Mack: Daria! Hurry! Take cover!

(Jane puts out the fire, taking the pan of sausages with him, while Daria, Mack, and the others take their cloaks and other belongings, hiding behind the rocks. The Crebain come through the area, exploring it thoroughly, as though they know they are there.)

Amy: Spies of Rita. The passage south is being watched. We must take the pass of Caradhras.

 

Scene 40.

(The Fellowship is seen walking up the steep and snowy mountains. Daria falls, tumbling down a small snowy slope.)

Mack: Daria!

(He helps her up, and places his hands on her shoulders, while Daria brushes the snow off her clothes. She then searches for the Ring, to find she has dropped it. Sandi picks it up by the chain. Mack slowly takes his hands from Daria’s shoulders, putting them onto the hilt of his sword.)

Mack: Sandi.

Sandi: It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.

(Holding the chain of the Ring in her right hand, she moves her left towards the Ring itself.)

Mack: Sandi! Give the Ring to Daria.

Sandi: (Walking slowly towards Mack and Daria.)

As you wish. (Holds out the Ring.)

(Daria grabs it).

Sandi: I care not. (Laughs and ruffles Daria’s hair. She walks off, and Mack takes his hand off the hilt of his sword).

 

Scene 41.

The birds seen in the previous scene make their way to Isengard, where Rita is.

Rita: So Amy, you try to lead them over Caradhras. And if that fails, where then will you go?

(We see the Fellowship once more, caught in a heavy snow storm.)

If the mountain defeats you, will you risk a more dangerous road?

(We see Tiffany who walks slightly ahead of the others, with ease, but behind him, Amy and the others and finding it difficult to walk in the snow. Mack and Sandi are holding two Hobbits each, and it seems that without their help, the Hobbits would be blown off the mountain. Then we hear a voice, though we cannot make out the words.)

Tiffany: There is a fell voice on the air.

Amy: It's Rita! (boulders fall)

Mack: She's trying to bring down the mountain! Amy, we must turn back!

Amy: No!! (Shouts something in Elfish to Rita)

Rita: (Stands at the top of the tower of Isengard, and says something in Elfish)
Bow to the power of Isengard!

(Hits mountain with lightning, bringing down snow and rocks.)

(The Fellowship becomes buried, but manage to get out of the snow)

Sandi: We must get off the mountain! Make for the Gap of Rohan! Or take the west road to my city!

Mack: The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard.

Archie: We cannot pass over a mountain. Let us go under it! Let us go through the Mines of Moria.

Rita: Moria. You are afraid to go into the Mines. Dwarves had crawled into very bowels of the mountain. You know that their shadows and sparks of fire can still be seen in the darkness of Khazad-Dun. (pauses, then corrects herself) You fear to go into those mines. The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke there in the darkness of Khazad-dum: Shadow and flame.

Amy: Let the Ring-bearer decide... Daria?

Daria: We will go through the mines.

Amy: So is it.

 

Scene 42.

The Fellowship comes to a dark, slimy place, and we see a stone wall.

Archie: The walls of Moria.

Amy: Well, let’s see... Ithildin. It mirrors only starlight and moonlight. (The clouds covering the moon drift away, and a door are revealed.)

It reads: "The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter."

Quinn: What do you suppose that means?

Amy: Oh, it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open.

Gate of the Elves open now for me!

Gate of Elves listen to my word, Threshold of Dwarves!

Mack: Mines are no place for a pony. Even one so brave as Bill. (Takes the baggage off Bill the pony)

Jane: Bye-bye, Bill.

Mack: Go on, Bill. Go on. Don't worry Jane. He knows the way home.

(Quinn and Stacy are throwing stones into the water. As Stacy is about to throw one, Mack grabs her by the collar).

Mack: Do not disturb the water.

(The camera shifts over to Amy, who sits down and takes off her hat)

Amy: Oh, it's useless

Daria: It's a riddle. Speak 'friend', and enter. What's the Elfish word for friend?

Amy: Mellon.

(Doors open, the Fellowship walks into the mines)

Archie: (confuses his lines completely) Soon, Master Elf, You will soon feel the questionable hospitality of the Dwarves! In Moria we will feast on tasty fruit stones: my nephew is very generous! Red dwarves will give us red beer and red beef. This, my friend, is the home of my cousin Balin. And they call it a mine. A MINE!

Sandi: This is no mine. It's a tomb.

(We see dead, and rotting Dwarves and Orcs, covered in cobwebs.)

Archie: No! Nooo! NOOOO!

Tiffany: (takes out an arrow from a dead body) Goblins!

Sandi: We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here! Now get out of here! Get out!!

(The Fellowship backs out, Daria is taken by a tentacle from a creature in the water)

Quinn: Daria!

Stacy: Daria! Help!

Daria: Mack Daddy!

Jane: Ditto!

Daria: Help!

Jane: Get off her!

Quinn: Mack!

(The Hobbits slash at the creature with their swords. They manage to free Daria from the creature, but as she backs away from the water, many tentacles come out from the water, this time swinging Daria high up in the air.)

Daria: Ahhh...

Quinn: Daria!

Daria: Mack Daddy!

Tiffany shoots the tentacles with her bow, while Sandi and Mack enter the water, and slash at the tentacles with their swords. Mack cuts off the tentacle that is holding Daria, and Sandi manages to catch Daria as she falls.

Amy: Into the mines!!!

Sandi: Tiffany! Into the cave!

Unknown: Run!

(The creature comes out of the water and crumbles the doors down, blocking the way out, and blocking out the light.)

Amy: We now have but one choice.

(She fits a stone onto the end of her staff, producing light.)

We must face the long dark of Moria. Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.

Quietly now. It's a four-day journey to the other side. Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed.

(Climbing upwards, Stacy lets some rocks fall onto Quinn).

Quinn: Stacy!

(After some time, we come to an opening, where there are three passages to choose from.)

Amy: I have no memory of this place.

(The Fellowship stops for a while.)

Stacy: Are we lost?

Quinn: No.

Stacy: I think we are

Quinn: Shhh. Amy’s thinking.

Stacy: Quinn...

Quinn: What?

Stacy: I'm hungry

Daria: (Daria sees something some distance away) (to Amy) There's something down there

Amy: It's Upchuck.

Daria: Upchuck?

Amy: He's been following us for three days.

Daria: He escaped the dungeons of Barad-Dur?

Amy: Escaped. Or set loose. He hates and loves the Ring. As he hates and loves himself. He will never be rid of his need for it.

Daria: It's a pity dad didn't kill him when he had the chance.

Amy: (thinking, not quite remembering the lines) It's a pity that Bilbo… (pause) is not with him at the moment. Many of them deserve to die. Many of the decent people are dead. Daria, let him go his way. Don't judge and you won't be judged. My heart tells me that Upchuck can't tell a difference between good and evil. Jake’s life can change fate of many creatures.

Daria: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

Amy: (still not quite remembering this lines) Who are we to debate what fate has prepared for us. We can only rule and also better organize our time. There are a lot of forces in the world which can free a desire. Bilbo was lucky to find the Ring which you would be happy to have as well. It's an encouraging thought. Eh - it's that way.

Quinn: She's remembered.

Amy: No, but the air doesn't smell so foul down here. If in doubt, Quinn, always follow your nose. Let me risk a little more light.

(The light on his staff brightens, and the Fellowship finds themselves in a great hallway, with tall pillars, as far as the eye can see.)

Finally we came to a place with more light.

Jane: (also thrown of tract by Amy) There're oil lamps burning and no mistake!

They walk on, but as they do so, Archie sees a doorway to the side. It is strewn with the bodies of dead orcs. Archie runs through the door into a chamber.

Amy: Archie!

Archie: No! Oh, no! No. (cries)

Amy: (tries to make-out the writing – not so easy)

"Here lies Bary, son of heretic… no, not right… Balin, son of Cusack, Lord of Kizil-Dim – wrong again… Balin son of Flyundin lord of Morier – not quite, Balin son of Fudic or Bali son of Fundi? Ah! Balin son of Fundin lord of Moria." He is dead then. It's as I feared.

(Amy gives Stacy her hat and staff)

Tiffany: (to Mack) We must move on. We cannot linger.

Amy: (reads) "They have taken the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums, drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming."

(Stacy touches a skeleton by a well, and it falls in, making a lot of noise)

Amy: Fool of a Rowe! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity.

(Drumming noises are heard. Daria’s  sword glows blue)

Jane: (Sees the blue blade) Daria!

Tiffany: Orcs.

(Sandi runs to the door and two arrows narrowly miss his head)

Mack: (to the hobbits) Get back! Stay close to Amy! (They bar the doors)

Sandi: They have a cave-troll.

(They bar the doors, then stand facing them, their bows and swords out)

Archie: Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath.

(The orcs come; they fight)

(Cave troll comes)

Jane: I think I'm getting the hang of this!

Mack: Daria!

(Daria is dragged by the troll)

Daria: Mack! Mack!

Mack: Daria!

(Mack fights the troll, saving Daria from it. He thrusts a spear into its chest, but it does not pierce its thick hide. Then the troll hits Mack, and he is thrown aside. Daria runs to Mack’s side, and faces the troll. The troll hurls a spear at Daria, and she is pinned against the wall)

(Quinn and Stacy jump onto the troll’s back).

Jane: Daria! DARIA!!

(Tiffany shoots an arrow into its throat, and it collapses. Mack crawls over to Daria)

Mack: (whispers) Oh no.

(He turns him over.)

Jane: She's alive.

Daria: I'm all right. I'm not hurt.

Mack: You should be dead. That spear would have skewered a wild boar.

Amy: I think there's more to this Hobbit than meets the eye

(Daria reveals Mithril coat)

Archie: Mithril! You are full of surprises, Mistress Morgendorffer!

(They hear more Orcs coming)

Amy: To the bridge of Khazad-dum!

(They run, but Moria is filled with orcs. Soon they are surrounded.
But from the end of the hallway, we can see a red glow on the walls.
The Orcs run. Tiffany holds his bow out, ready, but soon lowers it.)

Sandi: What is this new devilry?

Amy: A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run!

(They run.)

Mack: Quickly!

Mack: Amy!

Amy: Lead them on, Mack. The bridge is near.

(He pushes Mack away from him.)

Do as I say!! Swords are no more use here!

They all move on, but a lot of the stone is breaking. They come to a break in the rock. Tiffany jumps the gap, and stands ready to help the others over.

Tiffany: Amy! (Signals for him to jump the gap. Amy jumps, and is helped over by Tiffany.)

Sandi: Quinn! Stacy! (She holds one of them with each hand, and jumps over with them. Tiffany helps them over on the other side. Rock crumbles away as they jump.)

Mack: Jane. (He tosses Jane over the gap.)

Archie: Nobody tosses a dwarf.

(He tries to jump the gap, but almost falls into the abyss. Tiffany grabs him by beard.)

Not the beard!!!

Mack: Daria!

Mack and Daria remain on the other side of the gap.
The stone stairs they are standing on look as though about to collapse.
Mack holds Daria by the back of her shirt.

Mack: (To Daria:) Steady. Hold on!

(The rock begins to sway.)

Hang on!

(The top of the stone breaks away from the bottom bit, and falls at an angle, towards the bit of stone that the rest of the Fellowship is standing on.)

Lean forward. Steady.

Tiffany: Come on! Now!

(Daria and Mack manage to get off the bit of rock that the others are on.)

Amy: Over the bridge! Fly!

(Amy turns to face the Balrog, then sees that the others have waited for him. They run across the bridge, and while the others continue onwards, Amy remains in the middle of the bridge, facing the Balrog.)

Amy: You cannot pass!

Daria: Aunt Amy!!!

(Daria, and the others stop.)

Amy: (forgets the lines in excitement) I'm a servant of Saint Anna and of a flammable Udo! (remembers and corrects them) I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor! The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Arrgh! Go back to the Shadow!! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

(She breaks the bridge, causing the Balrog to fall. Amy sighs, and turns around, but as she does so, the whip of the Balrog catches onto her ankle, and she is pulled down. She grabs onto the edge of the bridge, but cannot keep her grip. There is nothing the fellowship can do to save him).

Sandi: (Grabs Daria, to stop him running back onto the bridge.) No! No!

Daria: AUNT AMY!!!

Amy: Fly, you fool! (she falls)

Daria: NO!! NO!!!! (He has to be carried away by Sandi)

The Fellowship leaves, but Mack remains behind, still looking into the abyss.

Sandi: (From the distance) Mack!

The Fellowship finally gets out of Moria, and there they stop for a short while.

Mack: (After some time): Tiffany, get them up.

Sandi: (confuses her line from the emotion)  Take it or move it for pity's sake!

Mack: (doesn’t think straight himself) By night fall these hill will swamp over with ox. We must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come Sandi. Tiffany, Archie, get them up.

(He walks over to Jane, and helps her up) On your feet, Jane.

(Then he sees Daria, who has wondered away). Daria! Daria!!

Daria: (Daria stops and turns around. Tears are running down her face)

(They leave, and make their way to Lothlorien.)

 

Scene 43.

(After traveling for some time, they reach the woods of Lothlorien, and enter it.)

Archie: Stay close, young Hobbits! They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell.

Voice: Daria!

Archie: (apparently forgotten his lines again) One will never see again.

Voice: You are coming to us is as the footsteps of doom... You bring great evil here, Ring-bearer.

Jane: Daria?

Archie: Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily.
I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox.

(Elves appear, covering the company with arrows)

Archie: Oh...

Haldir (Robert made-up as an elf): The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark.

Mack: Robert of Lorien. We come here for help. We need your protection.

Archie: Mack! These woods are perilous. We should go back.

Robert: You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood.
You cannot go back. Come. She is waiting.

 

Scene 44.

(The Fellowship continues on, led by Robert.)

(Steve and Ashley-Amber come, in a bright light)

Steve: Eight that there are here, yet nine there were set out from Rivendell.  Tell me, where is Amy, for I much desire to speak with him.

Ashley-Amber: (Looks at Mack, who nods.) He went to the kingdom of shadows, but adventure continues! Make one wrong step and you will be lost in this world forever. Welcome Daria. LOOK INTO MY EYES, DARIA!
(Glances at Sandi, who is very unhappy.)

Sandi: (to Mack, rather unhappily) I'm so sick of this idiot woman, her voice is banging on my brains ever since we've come to this darned forest.

Ashley-Amber: (ignores Sandi’s remark) Yet hope remains while the Company is true. (looks at Jane).

Ashley-Amber: Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest,  for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight, you will sleep in peace...

(Voice of Ashley-Amber, who confused her lines too):

Welcome, Daria… to Lawndale, (straightens-out)… one who has seen the Eye!

Scene 45.

Tiffany: (confused her lines) I’m going back for Amy.

Stacy: (oblivious) What do they say about him?

Tiffany: I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near.

Mack: (to Sandi) Take some rest. These borders are well protected.

Sandi: I will find no rest here. I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my mother and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, "Even now there is hope left." But I cannot see it. It is long since we had any hope.

(Aragorn sits beside him.)

My mother is a noble woman, but her rule is failing. And then our... our people lose faith. She looks to me to make things right, and I, I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Mack? (starts to get carried away) The top of white tower of Ecthelion swaying under a summer wind... (checks herself) Glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?

Mack: I have seen the White City. Long ago.

Sandi: One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: "The Lords of Gondor have returned."

 

Scene 46.

(Daria sees Ashley-Amber walking somewhere, and follows her. Upon a table is a round tray. She goes to a fountain, and fills a jug with water.)

Ashley-Amber: Will you look into the mirror?

Daria: What will I see?

Ashley-Amber: Even the wisest cannot tell. For the mirror shows many things.

(She empties the jug into the bird bath - or mirror.)

Things that were, things that are, and some things that have not yet come to pass.

(Daria looks into the mirror. She sees Tiffany’s back, then Jane and Stacy. They all look sad and grave. Then she sees Lawndale. It is filled with flame, and with Orcs. (Daria gasps). Jane is seen with her ankles chained on a line with many other hobbits. They are whipped. Then Daria sees the Eye. She feels his ring slipping in towards the mirror, but she pulls it backwards, falling onto the ground. The water in the mirror is steaming.)

Ashley-Amber: I know what it was that you saw. For it is also in my mind. It is what will come to pass if you should fail. (begins to confuse her lines) He'll or she’ll decide to take the Ring… One by one he'll or she’ll destroy them all. Your alliance is breaking, and now your time has come!

Daria: (thrown off balance by special effects) I guess now you will try to take my ring?

(She holds out the Ring.)

Ashley-Amber: You offer it to me freely. I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this.

(She walks slowly towards Frodo, her hand outstretched.)
In the place of a Dark Lord, you would have a QUEEN!

(She changes, and she seems very powerful)

NOT DARK, BUT BEAUTIFUL AND TERRIBLE AS THE DAWN! TREACHEROUS AS THE SEA! STRONGER
THAN THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE EARTH!
ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR.

(gets carried away) SHOW ME YOUR LOVE AND DEVOTION!

(She becomes normal again, and breathes heavily, as though trying to catch her breath.)

I pass the test. I will diminish, and go pass to the East, and remain in Galadr.

Daria: I cannot do this alone.

Ashley-Amber: You are a Ring-bearer, Daria. To bear a Ring of Power is to be alone. This task was appointed to you. And if you do not find a way, no one will.

Daria: Then I know what I must do. It's just, I'm afraid to do it.

Ashley-Amber: (She bends down towards her.)

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

(Daria closes her hand over the Ring.)

 

Scene 47.

Rita: Do you know how the Orcs first came into being? They were Elves once. Taken by the Dark Powers, tortured, and mutilated. A ruined, and terrible form of life. And now, perfected. My fighting Uruk-hai. Whom do you serve?

Lurtz (Axl in make-up of an Uruk-Hai): Rita.

(We see Orcs and Uruk-hai in the caverns of Isengard, putting on armour, and taking weapons.)

Rita: Hunt them down! Do not stop until they are found. You do not know pain, you do not know fear. You will taste man flesh!

(Turns to Axl.)

One of the Halflings carries something of great value.
Bring them to me alive and unspoilt. Kill the others.

(The army of Orcs and Uruk-hai leave the caverns.)

 

Scene 48.

Ashley-Amber: Farewell, Daria Morgendorffer. Here is the light of Elendil, our most beloved star. Armani. Farewell.

(She bends over, and kisses the top of Daria’s head.)

(The Fellowship row off, and Ashley-Amber stands on the shore, her hand held outwards.)

Voice of Ashley-Amber: May it is a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

 

Scene 49.

(Orcs are coming)

(Tiffany and Mack hear the cries of the Orcs. After rowing for some time, they come to two tall statues, one on either side of the of the river. They row past them.)

Mack: (forgot his lines again) Daria. This is Aeronaut, the first king of Gondor! My kin. (After some time, the stop rowing, and rest on the western shore of the river.)

Mack: We cross the lake at nightfall, hide the boats, and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north.

Archie: (forgot his lines completely) Oh my God… An impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks? And after that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshlands, as far as the eye can see.

Mack: That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf.

Archie: Recover my... whewah...

Tiffany: (to Mack) We should leave now.

Mack: No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for the cover of darkness.

Tiffany: It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat have been growing in my mind. Something draws near. I can feel it.

Archie: Recover strength... (To Stacy) Pay no heed to that, young hobbit.

Quinn: Where's Daria?

(Mack sees Sandi gone as well)

 

Scene 50.

(We see Daria wandering off, alone. Sandi appears, collecting fire wood.)

Sandi: None of us should wander alone. You least of all. So much depends on you. Daria? I know why you seek solitude. You suffer. I see it day by day. Are you sure you do not suffer needlessly? There are other ways, Daria. Other paths that we might take.

Daria: I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart.

Sandi: Warning? Against what? (She begins to advance on Daria, who backs away.)  We're all afraid, Daria, but to let that fear drive us to destroy what hope we have. Don't you see, it's madness.

Daria: There is no other way.

Sandi: I ask only for the strength to defend my people!

(She stops angrily, throwing the firewood she has collected to the ground.)

If you would but lend me the ring…

Daria: (Backs away) No!

Sandi: Why do you recoil? I am no thief!

Daria: You are not yourself!

Sandi: What chance do you think you have? (gets carried away) I will take the Ring and you will beg for death before the end! (Turns and walks away.) You fool! It is not yours save by unhappy chance.

(Walks towards Daria, who begins to run.)
It could have been mine. It should be mine!
(Lunges forward towards Daria, pulling her to the ground.)

Give it to me! Give me the ring!

Daria: No!

(Daria disappears, and hits Sandi.)

Sandi: I see your mind!! You will take the Ring to “Mad Dog”!
You will betray us! You go to your death! And the death of us all! Curse you!  Curse you and all the Halflings!

(Sandi slips).

Sandi:

(Her anger passes, and he says softly:)
Daria? Daria. What have I done? Please, Daria...

 

Scene 51.

(Daria still has the Ring on, and the world is in darkness)

Sandi: Daria, I'm sorry! Daria!

(Daria sees Barad-dur, and then the Eye. She takes the Ring off, and the world comes back into its full light. As she is catching her breath, she sees Mack.)

Mack: Daria?

Daria: It has taken Sandi.

Mack: Where is the Ring?

Daria: Stay away! (She backs away.)

Mack: Daria! I swore to protect you.

Daria: Can you protect me from yourself?!

(shows him the Ring, apparently confused from her long time on stage)

Why don't YOU destroy the Ring?

(She puts his hand out, as if offering the ring to Mack).

We hear the voice of the Ring saying: Mack. Mack. Michael Jordan Mackenzie.

Mack: (Mack kneels beside Daria, and closes Daria’s hand over the Ring.) I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor.

Daria: I know. Look after the others. Especially Jane. She will not understand (Mack notices that Sting is glowing blue)

Mack: Go, Daria. Run. Run!

Orcs can bee seen coming. Mack comes out and faces an orc army. He fights them.

Jane: Daria!

(Back to Mack fighting Orcs)

Uruk-Hai: Find the Halfling! Find the Halfling!

Mack: Elendil!

(Tiffany and Archie come to help Aragorn.)

Tiffany: Mack, Go!

(Daria can be seen running away. He hides behind a tree. Quinn and Stacy can be seen in a more safe hiding place.)

Quinn: Daria!

Stacy: Hide here, quick! Come on!

(Daria shakes his head.)

Stacy: What's she doing?

(Daria shakes her head again)

Quinn: She's leaving.

Stacy: NO!

Quinn: Stacy.

(Stacy jumps out of her hiding place, and Quinn follows. Orcs can be seen coming).

Quinn: Run, Daria. Go on!

Quinn: (waving at orcs) Hey, hey you! Over here!

Stacy: Over here! Over here! This way!

Stacy: It's working!

Quinn: I know it's working! Run!

(Tiffany and others fight orcs)

(Quinn and Stacy are seen surrounded by orcs. Sandi comes along, and fights them).

(Back to Tiffany and others. Sandi’s horn is heard)

Tiffany: The horn of Gondor.

Mack: Sandi!

(They make their way towards Sandi).

(Back to Sandi, Quinn, and Stacy.)

Sandi: Run! Run!

(She, Quinn and Stacy away, who run back several meters, then stop.)

(An orc shoots Sandi in the chest. She continues to fight. She takes three arrows. Quinn and Stacy charge at the orcs, and fight them, but are eventually taken as prisoners. The Orcs run off, leaving Sandi to die, but Axl, the Uruk-hai remains behind, and arrow aimed at her head. From behind, Mack takes him on. They fight for some time, and Mack manages to cut its head off. He runs back to Sandi.)

Mack: No.

Sandi: They took the little ones.

Mack: Stay still

Sandi: Daria. Where is Daria?

Mack: I let Daria go.

Sandi: Then you did what I could not. I tried to take the Ring from her.

Mack: The Ring is beyond our reach now.

Sandi: Forgive me. I did not see it. I have failed you all.

Mack: No, Sandi. You fought bravely. You have kept your honour.

(Is about to take an arrow out of him).

Sandi: Leave it! It is over. The world of Men will fall.
And all will come to darkness. My city to ruin.

Mack: I do not know what strength is in my blood.
But I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall.
Nor our people fail.

Sandi: Our people. Our people. (Aragorn gives her, her sword).

(Tiffany and Archie see Mack leaning over Sandi)

Sandi: I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king.

(She dies)

Mack: (Touched by that show of acting and dazed a bit.) Rest in peace, daughter of Mack. (Realizes he said the line wrongly, but ignored and kisses her forehead).

 

Scene 52.

Daria is seen standing by the boats.

Jane: Daria!

Daria is seen holding the Ring on the palm of her hand.

FLASHBACK

Daria: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened

Amy: Who are we to debate what fate has prepared for us. We can only rule and also better organize our time. There are a lot of forces in the world which can free a desire. Jake was lucky to find the Ring which you would be happy to have as well. It's an encouraging thought.

END OF FLASHBACK

(Daria closes her hand over the Ring, and sets out in one of the boats.)

Jane: (Reaches the shore) Daria, no!!! Daria! Daria!

(She enters the water)

Daria: (Softly, to himself) No, Jane.

(To Jane) Go back, Jane. I'm going to Mordor alone.

Jane: (wading deeper into the water) Of course you are. And I'm coming with you!!

Jane: You can't swim. Jane! (Jane’s head goes under water) JANE!

(Daria rows the boat back, and pulls Jane into it).

Jane: I made a promise, Daria. A promise: "Don't you leave him Jane Lane.  And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.

Daria: Oh, Jane. (They hug each other) Come on, then.

(They row off.)

 

Scene 53.

We see Sandi sailing off in one of the boats.

 

Scene 54.

Tiffany: Hurry! Daria and Jane have reached the eastern shore.
(She begins to push a boat out into the water)

(Mack makes no sign of following.)

Tiffany: You mean not to follow them.

Mack: Daria’s fate is no longer in our hands.

Archie: Then it has all been in vain. The Fellowship has failed.

Mack: (Walks over to Tiffany and Archie, and places his hands on their shoulders.)
Not if we hold true to each other.

Archie: (Places his hand onto Mack’s)

Mack: We will not abandon Quinn and Stacy to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let's hunt some Orc.

Archie: YES!!!

Tiffany: (Smiles)

(They run off.)

 

Scene 55.

Daria and Jane are seen looking over to Mordor

Daria: Mordor. I hope the others find a safer road.

Jane: Mack Daddy will look after them.

Daria: I don't suppose we'll ever see them again.

Jane: We may yet, Daria. We may.

Daria: Jane... (She smiles)

I'm glad you're with me.

~ The End ~