Daria - The Next Chapter

Legal stuff: Daria and her compadres are property of MTV/Viacom.

Feedback: Any feedback (good, bad, even alien mind controlled) would be greatly appreciated. Please send to dltbow@aol.com



Part 5: Atlas Freed

Daria and Jane pulled into Daria's driveway. Jane was surprised at how hauntingly similar it was to the Morgendorffer residence. Jane sat down in the living room. She noticed one of her paintings hanging above the entrance to the kitchen. She looked down at a picture sitting on the living room table. It was Daria and an older man with short sandy brown hair and a well groomed beard. Daria sat two sodas down. Jane picked up the 8x10, trying to guess his age.

"Is this Allen?"

Daria nodded. "He was working on his teaching degree when we met. I was conducting interviews at a high school about the pros and cons of year round schooling. His philosophical wit won me over. He didn't start college until he was thirty. He is thirty-eight now."

Jane gave a slight chuckle. "I always knew you kind dug the older guys."

Daria shot her an evil grin. "With age comes wisdom."

"What made him want to become a professor?"

"It wasn't his original career choice. He was in the Army. He got hurt badly." Daria cringed as she thought of not only Allen but Quinn. "He was doing some training manuevers when a 'dud' exploded. It was a miracle he survived. He lost his left leg at the knee. That was in 1998. He spent two years recovering from his injuries. When he got his discharge, he decided to go to Yale to get a teaching degree. When I think of how he got hurt in a time of peace, it makes me worry about Quinn that much more."

Jane sat quietly. She knew that Quinn had been shipped out, but didn't know where. Allthough they weren't friends, Quinn had grown on Jane. She was not the brat that drove Daria insane in high school. Quinn had enlisted while Daria was in Boston. "Have you heard from Quinn lately?"

"Yes. She emailed me over the weekend. We web cam once a month. She has six more months to go in Iraq. After she comes home, she will be on base for another couple of months. Then her service will be done. She is not reenlisting. She wants to go college to be a guidance counselor. She hates being away from her kids. I can't wait until she gets home." Daria closed her eyes.

"She'll come back amiga, don't worry." Jane looked up in shock. She never thought she would use that word again.

"Thanks. Do you have any pictures of Anne?"

Jane reached into her jacket pocket and pulled out a mini photo album. Daria stared at the three year old "clone" of her one time best friend. The only thing Anne was missing was Jane's red lipstick. Daria's face bore an expression of melancholy. As she flipped through the album, Jane would tell her the events surrounding each photo. Then, she came to the last page in the book. It was a family shot of Anne, Jane and Tom. Jane ran her fingers over the edge of the page.

"This photo was taken a couple of months before Tom died." Jane took a deep breath. "Tom had taken a position at a small law firm. The pay was okay, but Tom loved the job. The firm mainly dealt with divorce cases involving spousal or domestic abuse. An ex-spouse of one of their clients came in irate over his divorce proceeding. He was armed to the teeth and just started firing. Three of his coworkers died on the scene. Tom and three others were injured. The gunman killed himself. Tom was shot twice, once in the right arm and once in the chest. He fought for two days. His sister and I were in the room with him when he passed." Jane's tears flowed freely. Daria placed a hand on Jane's shoulder.

"I was a complete wreck. His parents handled the funeral service. They have really taken care of Anne and me. They kept the press away. When I told them about wanting to move back, they bought the house for us. I bring Anne over to see them at least once a week. They set Anne up with Tom's trust fund. I used the money I got from his lawfirm to set a retirement fund for myself." Jane sniffed.

"How are you and Anne doing?"

"Anne misses him. I have good days and bad. I loved him soo much Daria. I wish he was still here."

Daria got up and grabbed a box of tissues. Jane wiped off her face. "Mom and Trent have been our rocks. Trent treats Anne like a daughter. He loves her to death. Mom watches Anne so I can run the summer arts class. When school starts, I will be taking over Ms. Defoe as art teacher at Lawndale High."

"That's great Jane. Isn't Mack the principal there now?"

"Yes. They got rid Ms. Li two years ago. He has made a lot of positive changes. I still can't believe I will be working with Mr. O'Neal and Mr.DeMartino though."

"I will have to join you for lunch sometimes. How is Trent?"

Jane had been waiting for that question. "He is great. When he is not spoiling Anne, he is running Cool Vibes on Dega Street. He is still single. I keep hoping he will find that someone."

"So do I Jane. He is a good guy. Would you like a tour of the house?"

"Lead the way amiga." Jane smiled.

"I really missed that word.. amiga." Daria sighed.

Daria and Jane walked through the house. As they went from room to room, Jane's eyes began to water. Every room had at least one piece of art Jane had created. They arrived at the last room in the house, Daria's office. Daria turned on the light. Jane stared in amazement. Two of the walls were covered in Jane's paintings. A picture of she and Daria sat beside the monitor. A small statue that she had made Daria for her twenty-first birthday was perched on the computer. Daria leaned against the doorframe while Jane took the room in. After a minute, Daria walked over to Jane.

"I may have left you, but as you can see, you were never out of my thoughts. I truly felt that the way I left you would never want to see or speak to me again." Daria whispered.

Jane shook her head. "I wanted a reason. If my stupid ass had called you back, I would have had it then. I took you for granted. You tried to tell me." Jane's lips gave a slight curl. "I still have your last messege on my voicemail. I play it every so often just to hear your voice. If I had been listening instead of hearing..." Jane turned to Daria and pulled her into a hug. "Don't leave me again. I need you too much right now."

Daria returned the gesture. "I won't. I promise that I will be there for you come Hell or high water. So- are we still 'Freaking Friends'?"

"Til we come to bad ends." Jane looked at her watch. "I better be getting back."

They headed to Daria's car. As they drove to the coffee shop, Jane turned to Daria. "The next time you drive by, you should stop and say hi to mom and Trent."

"So that was your car in the driveway? I wasn't sure. You had bought it a couple of weeks before I left."

"Yeah I was checking on the roofers working on my house. I saw you stop."

"Next time.. I will know it is you. We need to get together again soon. You can bring Anne and Trent with you."

"Nope. My turn. This Friday.. you and Allen can come over for dinner and a bad movie night. Then on Saturday, we can go see Spiral at the Zon."

"Sounds great. I need your number." Daria handed Jane her cell phone.

Jane typed in her number then dialed it. She programmed Daria's into hers. "Can I call you tonight?"

"Call whenever you want. I am usually at home working on my column or novel. If I am not here, I am at my parents. I do have to go to Hartford once a month for magazine meetings. My contract is up at the end of the year, but they already want to talk to me about renewing. You and Anne can join me when I go next month. I'll show you around." Daria parked her car.

"As long as it is before school starts." Jane opened up her door. "Daria, I know Lawndale is the last place you want to be, but I am glad you are back. See you Friday. I'll call you tonight." As she closed the door, she tapped the window. She flashed a one second sign. She opened her trunk and pulled out the covered canvas. She opened up Daria's backseat door. "I made this while teaching class today." Jane smiled as she closed the door.

Daria waved as she left. When she arrived home, Allen was in the living room. Daria came in carrying the wrapped canvas. He stood beside as she opened it. It was the watercolor of a younger Daria and Jane. Allen could see the tears forming in Daria's eyes. He went into the garage and got out a hanging kit. He placed the painting on the wall above the television. She wiped her eyes and sighed.

"I take it your reunion went well." Allen asked.

Daria gave him a half-smile and nodded. She leaned over and kissed him. He could feel an energy inside her he had never felt before. So, this is how she feels when she is truly happy. I could get used to this. He began grinning from ear to ear.

Jane arrived at her mom's house to pick up Anne. Trent came home to the sound of Jane's laughter. He made his way into the kitchen. He placed a hand on Jane's shoulder. She looked up at him. Her eyes and face told him everything he needed to know.

"How is Daria? Is she here to visit?"

"She is good. She moved back here last month."

"So..are you too cool again?"

"Yeah..we're cool. Trent.. I got my amiga back." Jane's voice began to break.

Trent put an arm around her. "I knew you would Janey. I knew you would."

That night, for the first time in years, Daria and Jane could feel the weight of the world being lifted off their shoulders once and for all.