Daria - The Next Chapter

Part 4: Coffee and Pain

Set-up: Daria and Jane have seen each other for the first time in over four years. They plan a reunion at a local coffee shop. Will they be able to rebuild their friendship or has it been damaged beyond repair?


Legal Stuff: Daria and her compadres are property of MTV/Viacom.

Sidenote: This is part 4 of an ongoing series. Allthough this story can be read on its own, events in this story are linked to the story line of the previous parts. I have/will be creating characters to help move the story line through. In the same light, some of the original characters will only be mentioned in passing if at all.

Feedback: Please feel free to send any feedback (good, bad, alien induced) to dltbow@aol.com



Daria had restless nights sleeping. She spent the night uncertain if they were ready for this. Daria spent most of the evening staring at the ceiling. When this did not help tame her mind, she would turn to Allen. He was sleeping peacefully, unaware of the inner torment Daria was putting herself through. Her thoughts ran rampant. Do I tell her about him? She will see the ring and ask questions. What if she asks me why I left? Do I ask her about she and Tom? Why am I soo stressed out over this? She is - was - my best friend. Daria let out a long, deep sigh. Allen, hearing this, woke up and put his arms around her. She succombed to sleep around three.

Allen woke Daria up at nine. Her head was still pounding from the overuse during the course of that evening. She headed for her medicine cabinet. She headed to the kitchen, aspirin in hand, needing caffiene. Allen handed her a mug and the newspaper. She stared dazingly at the headlines. She put two slices of bread in the toaster. Aspirin on an empty stomach was not a good idea today. Allen sat down next to her.

"I need to finish up my office and classroom. You want to come?"

"No. I am meeting an old friend for coffee at 12:15. I am not sure when I will be home."

"Maybe I can join you after I am done."

"I'm going to see Jane. I would prefer to be alone."

Allen, knowing who Jane was, lowered his head and nodded. He put his arms around her waist and kissed her. He waved as he left. Daria sat the coffee and toast down and buried her head in her hands. You can do this Wallace. It is Jane. You did leave her high and dry in Boston. Left with no explanation.. granted you tried to tell her.. but you left none the less. Way to go Morgen- no - Wallace.



Jane's night was no better. She tossed and turned all night. As she fell into an unnerving slumber, she had an eerily vivid lifelike dream. She is sitting on the couch in her old apartment in Boston. She is looking at photos strewn over an old coffee table, hands in her lap. She hears her front door open and close. A pair of arms reach around her. She looks up and sees Tom's smiling face.

"Hi Jane. How are you?"

"Okay. I saw Daria today. We are getting together tomorrow for coffee."

"Really -- "

"Tom - I don't know what to say to her. It's been soo long and yet my anger is still there. What if we get in a huge fight? I mean she was the one who left me staring at the back of her car as it drove away."

"Listen to her. Forgive her. Tell her how much you've missed her. More importantly, tell her how much you need her right now."

"I don't know if I can. I wish you could be there."

"I will be..how is Anne?"

"She misses her daddy almost as much as I do."

"I miss her too. I have to go Jane. Please take good care of her and yourself."

"Tom - don't - I love you."

"I love you too." Tom closes the door behind him.

Jane wakes up screaming "Tom! TOM! COME BACK!" She bolts upright in bed. She swings her legs over the side, slightly shaking. She gains her composure and checks on Anne. Jane hoped her outburst had not awakened the child. She looked at her clock. Seven would be here sooner than she wanted. She steadied her nerves and fell back asleep. Through a hazy cloud of exhaustion, Jane barely heard the alarm. She takes a quick shower before waking up the three year old. Anne turns to her and flashes a half- smile that reminded Jane of Daria and better days.

"Is is time to go play with grandma?"

Jane grinned. "Yes-- it's fun time. Mommy has to head to class."

Anne jumped out of bed. Jane gave her a bath and let her choose her attire for the day. Anne had been obsessed with the color green lately. After they ate breakfast, Jane put her in the car and drove across the street. Trent was waiting at the door. He was opening the music store today. He high-fived his niece as she walked by. He saw the tired and sad expression on Jane's face.

"Everything okay Janey? Bad night's sleep?"

"Tossed and turned all night. Hey mom, I'm getting together with someone for coffee after class. If that is okay with you. I don't know how long I will be."

"That's fine. Is it anyone we know? An old friend?"

"Daria."

Trent stood stunned for a moment. "Daria-- Daria is here?"

"Yeah. I have no idea if she is visiting or what. We ran into each other last night."

"Do you want me to show up.. you know for moral support?"

"No. I think it should be just the two of us."



Trent sqeezed Jane's shoulder. Jane placed her hand on her brother's. She gave Anne a big hug before heading out to get to her class. The drive was short. Her class of thirty students ranged from ages sixteen to sixty. Today, they were going to be working with watercolors. Jane decided to join them. She found herself painting an image she had not thought of in years. It was she and Daria when they were younger - before Boston - before.. . After a couple of hours, Jane was finished with her painting. She walked around the class, admiring the work and offering pointers. As class finished, she thanked them and reminded them that next week was the last class. She wanted a month to relax and spend with Anne before starting her teaching job at Lawndale High. She locked the door and sighed. She would miss her students. Better get used to that feeling now. She got in her car and headed to Bean Me.

Daria could not focus on the editorial she was supposed to be writing. Nearing her deadline, she quickly jotted down some drivel. As she typed, she reread and changed to give it a little more of her cynical edge. "Definately not my best work." After a few more revisions, she sent it. She looked at her clock..11:30. She decided to head out. She sat in her car, keys in hand. She stared at the steering wheel. After taking a long deep breath, Daria started the car. She hoped that being a few minutes early would help settle her nerves. When she arrived, she placed her order and sat in a corner booth.

Jane parked her car and headed inside. She spotted Daria sitting tensly in the booth. Jane's mind noting that Daria looked every bit as nervous as herself. She kept turning back to Daria as she placed her order. She grabbed her coffee. She drew and held in her breath as she made her way to Daria. Jane stopped in front of the booth.

"Is this seat taken?"

Daria jumped as her train of thought had been derailed. "It is now.. but first.." Daria got up and hugged the friend she had missed.

Jane at first, did not reciprecate. Then, she thought about her dream. She slowly put her arms around her once best friend. After a brief moment, Daria sat back down. Jane headed to the other side of the booth. They looked down at the table. Neither was sure how to begin.

"So are you visiting?" Jane asked.

"No - I moved back last month. How long have you been back?"

"December of last year. We bought the house across from good old Casa Lane. What made you want to return to Lawndale?"

"My husband accepted his first head teaching job. He is an English professor at Lawndale Community College."

"Your married?" Jane looked down and noticed the ring on her finger.

"Yes. Two years now. I'm Daria Wallace now."

"I had no idea. Your column still lists you as Morgendorffer."

"Yeah - I didn't want to change it. Readers get used to seeing something..don't want to upset that applecart even if it is off its kilter to begin with. I saw on your class's float that your last name is Sloane now. So you and Tom moved across from your parents. I bet Trent loves having his sister back."

Jane stared down at her coffee. She was trying her best not to break down into tears. Daria looked over at her friend with great concern on her face. Jane closed her eyes and winced.

"Daria...Tom...Tom died." Jane whispered.



Daria sat stunned. She didn't hate Tom and it was obvious that Jane truly loved him. She hated seeing the pain in Jane's eyes.

"Jane - I'm sorry. When? How?"

"A year ago next month. August 12th. Incident at work."

Daria put Jane's wording on the back burner. "Jane, I should have been there for you. I feel horrible."

"Yeah, you should have. Hell you should have been there for the wedding too - and the birth of my daughter." Jane's eyes began to water.

Daria leaned back in her chair. Then it registered in her brain. Jane was a mom and a widow. She missed huge events in her friend's life. She truly wondered if they could ever get even a piece of their friendship back. "You have a daughter?"

"Yes. Tom and I got married about eight months after you left. We had her a year later."

"What is her name?"

"Anne. Anne Francis Sloane. She turned three in May. She is why I moved back. My mom and Trent have been helping me take care of her. Funny, my mom has been a far more diligent grandmother to her than she ever was with me as her daughter. Trent, Trent loves Anne to death."

"Anne. Nice name. That's my middle name."

"I know. I couldn't exactly name her Daria now could I? Why in the hell did you leave Boston? Why did you leave me? Damnit, I needed you!" Jane's voice was slightly raised her pain changing to anger.

"I was offered a job in New Haven as a columnist for a local magazine. Remember when I left for that 'mental health' weekend?

Jane nodded.

"You assumed I was coming back here to get away from you and Tom for awhile. I was actually there for an interview. I was afraid to tell you before I left in case I didn't get the position. When I returned, you were so far into your relationship with Tom. It was like high school all over again. I tried for a week to tell you what was going on. All I kept getting was 'Can I call you back? Tom and I are heading out'. Then, I got the call back. I landed the column and they wanted me to start immediately. I called you to get your advice..and to see if you and Tom would join me there. Instead, I got your voicemail. I realized then even if I asked, you would have stayed in Boston. I phoned the magazine back and accepted the job. I spent the next two days crying and packing. When you finally showed up, I was spent. I didn't have the energy to say goodbye. I know it was wrong of me, but, I just couldn't face you at that moment." Daria grabbed a napkin and wiped under her eyes.

Jane thought back to that week. Daria had tried to contact her alot. The truth hit Jane hard. Daria was right. Jane blew her off just like she had in high school. Jane can still hear the last messege Daria left on her voicemail. Looking back, Jane remembered the pain in Daria's voice. Why didn't I call her back?! I had my chance to stop her DAMNIT! Jane's mind was brought back to the present by Daria's voice.

Daria could see the wheels turning inside Jane's eyes. Daria reached out her hand. Slowly, Jane accepted it. Daria squeezed. "I should have called, wrote, emailed.. something.. and for that I am truly sorry. In the same light, you could have easily emailed me. I didn't blame you though. You weren't the one who left. When I arrived in Connecticut, all I did was focus on work the first year. Then, I met Allen. I wish I had talked to you before I left. You are right. I should have been there for you. I am sorry again that I let you down. Look, I only live about ten minutes from here. Why don't we head there. We'll leave your car. I'll bring you back. Do you need to check on Anne?"

"No my mom is watching her. She knows that I am with you. Will your husband mind?"

"He is at the college getting an early start on his office and classroom. First year department heads. What can you do with them?" Daria smirked.

Jane smiled. "Okay. Let's go." They left the coffee shop.



03/07/2010