Daria - The Next Chapter

Author's notes: This is my first time writing fanfic. With it being set in today's time, I will be introducing a few new characters while not using or barely referencing some of the old ones. Crossing fingers, cracking knuckles -- here we go.

Legal stuff: Daria and her compadres are property of MTV/Viacom.

Feedback: Any feedback (good, bad, even alien mind controlled) would be greatly appreciated. Please send to dltbow@aol.com

Sidenote: If anyone else wants to use a character that I have created to help move their own story or stories along, be my guest.



Part 1: Coming Home



December 2008

The blue skies of Boston were slowly being overtaken by the grey clouds. Inside a small three bedroom apartment a Christmas tree and some little decorations adorn a quiet living room. A black-haired, blue-eyed two year old lays asleep on the couch. Her mother, hearing the phone ring slowly gets up to answer. She debates whether to answer or let the machine get it. She decides to answer in order to keep the child asleep.

"Hello - Sloane residence."

"Hi Janey - how are you?"

"Hi Trent - I'm okay. How are you and mom?"

"Fine. That's actually why I called."

"What's wrong?"

"Janey.. I really think you should consider moving back here. Mom and I can help you take care of Ann. Think of it as having a babysitter free of charge while you are at work."

"Trent-- Lawndale is the last place I want to be right now." Granted, here isn't much better.

"Please. Ever since dad passed away, mom just isn't herself anymore. She could use the sound of a child's laughter. A sane child.. not one of Summer or Penny's wild-ass children. Not to mention, you wouldn't have to live here. The McPhearsons are retiring and bought a house in Florida. I'm sure they would give you a great price on their place. They were really concerned for you after the --"

"Don't say it Trent." Jane sighed. "Okay. I'll check it out. Ann and I will be there tomorrow. I'll see you then. Trent..."

"Yeah"

"I love you."

"I love you too, sis." Trent hangs up the phone.

Jane looks down at Ann, who is still sleeping peacefully. "Looks like I have to get ready to pack some things. We are going to visit Grandma and Uncle Trent for a few days."

Jane went into her bedroom to grab some luggage. As she packs, she stares at a photo on her nightstand. Its a picture of Tom, Ann and herself. It was taken eight months ago when they were happy. When they were still--. Jane shook her head. Get it together La- no Sloane.

The next day, Jane and Ann headed from Boston to Lawndale. Jane had placed a cartoon into the DVD player. Ann was asleep in no time. The six hour drive back to Lawndale was long and tedious. Jane tried to stay focused on the road. As she turned down her old street, she sees Trent on the porch. He had been outside waiting for her since her call twenty minutes earlier. She parked the car and stared at her old home. Trent had made some much needed major repairs and improvements. She wakes up the sleeping two-year old.. whose faces lights up when she sees her uncle. He lifts her out of the car seat and gives her a gentle bear hug. The three go inside. Amanda is sitting at the kitchen table. Amanda gets up and starts to play with her granddaughter. Trent brings Jane to the house across the street.

As Mr. McPhearson showed Jane around the house, Trent's mind drifted. A new coat of paint, maybe a retile in the kitchen.. no major repairs. Jane would fit right in here. Even has a bonus room she can turn into a studio. More importantly, I would be there for her and she for me. Since she has been living in Boston, we drifted apart. That was until three months ago. When Tom--. Trent's mind snapped back when Jane tapped his shoulder.

"What do you think Trent?"

"This would be a great house to raise Ann in." Trent smiled at his younger sister.

"How much do you want for it Mr. McPhearson?"

"We were asking for $110,000. For you however, $90,000. We already own the house in Florida. The money we get from this house is going into a vacation fund. Fiftieth anniversary is coming.. got to make it count."

"Well you better go on one heck of a vacation-- consider it sold."

"Great-- we'll call the realtor and have him draw up the paperwork. We were hoping someone we trusted was going to buy this place. Looks like we got our wish." Mr. McPhrearson and Jane shook hands.

Jane and Trent waved as they left. "You were right Trent. I really could use mom and you -- especially now. This will give us a solid roof over our heads and I won't have to touch Ann's college fund. Now what to do about a job."

"Ms. DeFoe is leaving Lawndale High. Something about hitting the lottery. Didn't you teach art for a semester at BFAC?"

"Yeah - hated it. It would however be guarenteed employment. I don't think I could work for Ms. Li though."

"She's not the principal anymore. She was sent to the 'happy place hospital' two years ago."

"Really? Wow. So who is the new principal?"

"One of your former classmates. Michael MacKenzie. You should give him a call."

"I will when we get back inside. I still can't believe I am moving back here."

"We'll get you through this.. trust me."

"I always have."

Jane and Trent went back inside.



June 2009

It is a warm crisp sunny day in Hartford. The sounds of fingers striking feverishly against a keyboard ring out through the quiet room. In the living room, a phone conversation is occuring between a potential employee and his possible future employer. As the phone is hung up, he jumps off the couch. He then turned to the tiny room his wife has converted into an office. He takes a deep breath before knocking on the door. After not getting an answer, he opens the door slightly. She is oblivious to her surroundings. As she hits send, she leans back in her chair, removes her glasses and rubs her eyes.

"I take it you finished your editorial." He looked at his watch. "Just in tme to.. isn't your deadline in like thirty minutes?"

"Yes-- but I don't have to worry about that now." She looks up at him. His smile melted her stress away. "Why are you in such a good mood?"

"I just offered my first job as an English Professor."

She stood up and hugged him. "That's great. Did you take it?"

"I told them I would call them back after I spoke to you."

"Why? I can write my article from anywhere. Maybe a new town will bring a new perspective. That should get my readers more outraged than they already are."

"The College was Lawndale Community College."

His wife's face grew blank. She went to sit down. He came up behind her and put his arms around her neck. She leaned against them and saw his face looking down at hers.

"Look - you did say that you wanted to move closer to your parents. Especially since your dad had that second heart attack last year. This job could be my foot in the door to bigger and better things. What do you say?"

"Call them back. Tell them you will take the job. I'll call my mom. Helen will be overcome with joy no doubt."

"I love you Daria."

"I love you too Allen."


Screen goes black.

01/11/10